The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prayers for all those in the path of any hurricane. With Dorian headed straight for Florida Please keep safe. For those with animals that need to move them Florida State Ag Dept has suspended requirements for intrastate transport. Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi have also suspended import documentation for interstate except that you must still stop at the Ag Stations to report destination with required movement documentation(?). This is something that any traveling would need to confirm but this was in my emails this morning. It was worded in a confusing manner. I know here in south Alabama several locations typically open for those moving this direction. Watch your social media accounts. I'll post as I see any but would like to invite all here with information to please share.

I suspect the travel docs are vaccination records and coggins but no health certificate. So those in a ziploc marked with the animal and your info on the bag as well as in the bag.

Post tips you have as well for those that may be new to the region and unfamiliar with what needs done in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
5:00AM Hurricane Update are...
Actual site of landfall is still unknown but expected to be between West Palm Beach and the east coast vicinity of Orlando.
Landfall is expected to be as a CAT 4 storm...
Track of the storm then to go inland and north so there will be no part of Florida unscathed...
Still some debate about strength of the storm as she tracks inland and north.
There was talk about as far reaching torrential rains to South Carolina now, parts of Georgia, Alabama have already been put in Emergency Preparedness mode so essential supplies and price gouging hopefully not happen, that includes emergency lodging.
Mandatory evacuations will be issued as soon as they can narrow the track more...
Local areas have been providing sand bags and sand to residents for the free taking, bring a shovel and some back-power...
Expect power outages so prepare storage of drinking water for all living creatures since contamination is also possible.

We are boarding our home starting today regardless of storm track.
The punishing torrential rains can do as much damage with a lighter wind pushing them as having higher fierce winds....damage is damage.
Prepare your barns for flooding as it is a real potential.
Remove tack, bring it home or to a area it is truly safe...
Feed in steel barrels, hay up all higher than just on pallets is what I am now doing.
Everything is going up "high" tomorrow...
Much of Florida is already a soggy mess from above average rainfall and add this hurricane rains we all know will be in excess of 8" is going to be a nightmare for many.
A slow moving storm, referring to days of torrential rain is not one most of us have encountered...this is a different danger...prepare now for what is coming, the amounts of it are just yet unknown.
Good luck to all of us in the path of Dorian....
Please check in once you can.

:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
HLG gives great advice.

I'll also add several often forgotten tips that I usually take care of on the Tax Free weekend before the season starts but could be done now before shelves empty. Some of these I stock up on by adding to my stores every time I shop. Others I just buy in bulk to start with.

For the people:
If your family drinks milk then having the shelf stable single serve varieties on hand means that you don't need to take up space in your cooler in the event of extended power outages once your on hand supply is gone. Same goes for juice products as well. I make sure to get the ones with 100% Vit C added so I know the kids have that extra boost. Water - we clean and fill the tubs for dipping out water to sponge bathe and water the animals indoors (dogs, cat) have (3) 5 gallons on hand for drinking, cooking and using for hygiene purposes (teeth brushing)and a ceramic dispenser. These can be filled and capped at some grocery stores or purchased and returned to a water distributor.

Canned goods, oatmeal and rice are restocked so there is also plenty of food that does not need to be kept cool.

Toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes... A five gallon bucket with lid, lined in case septic backs up. I also have a small bottle of the deodorizer that goes in the RV tank to add if we have to go that route. If we don't use it I give it to my parents who have an RV and will use it. We keep 5 gallon buckets with a 1/2 gallon container for scooping filled next to the toilet as well to add water so we can flush.

We fill 5 gallon containers with gas for the generator. It gets a full check out and run prior to the season starting and again when we suspect one could be headed our way.Cars are filled ahead and for us moved to high ground at the neighbors along with the tractor. I also keep 2 propane tanks on hand for the grill as well as having our house tank topped off at the start of the season. Being able to cook outdoors once the rain stops keeps the added heat out of the house then we switch to the grill when the rain is passed. I preplan meals based on what is on hand in the freezer to reduce spoilage and keep opening the freezer to a minimum. I also keep a cooler with bagged ice that has been salted so that I can put things we will use the first few days to keep from having to open fridge or freezer. I do this before we lose electricity but after I know the storm is coming my way - usually once the first bands start. There are thermometers inside the fridges and freezer so I know the temp and can track it once I do start going in there.

I keep box fans on hand as they are not only handy for some cooling but help keep the bugs away in limited areas.

Make sure you have an adequate supply of batteries and working flashlights and lanterns on hand.

Supply both your personal and animal first aid kits.

Brush and fence lines are kept cleared so water flows readily - any last minute touch ups are attended to 2 to 3 days in advance.

As HLG stated everything that can be blown around needs secured and stored.

I keep a duffel with a change of clothes for all, personal hygiene items, med bag, the first aid kit, leashes fro the dogs and ziplocs with important papers packed and ready. There are blankets, towels and a second set of flashlights in the vehicles

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
For all horses and pets-- have clear photos of both sides, plus any markings in both hard copy and backed up online and your phone. In case a horse or pet should go missing, or be removed from your property by law enforcement/animal welfare/etc. in the event of flooding/emergency when you aren't home, you have clear photos for posters and for proving identity at a collection site. Keep these current. If your horse is 14, don't use a photo taken when he was 5. Retake them each season. Record any identifying scrapes, cuts, bite marks, or scars that could help you identify your animal in the coming weeks. This is especially crucial if you have a 'run of the mill' critter--- a sorrel quarter horse with a sock, or a bay TB, or a black Lab or tabby cat... Even if you evacuate and take your animals to a safe site, have proof in case paperwork is mixed up so you can prove which animals are yours.

Photograph all registration papers/brand inspection/proof of ownership/health papers/vaccination records and keep them on your phone, and keep originals in a folder that goes with you if you evacuate.

Spray paint your phone number on both sides of your horses as large as you can, especially if you will be evacuating and leaving animals behind. Even if you shelter in place, this isn't a bad idea in case a fence were to go down or animals be released in an emergency. Braid a brightly-colored waterproof tag with your contact information into each horse's mane. Put a leather halter on each animal, and many apply a fly mask to protect the eyes from flying debris if you have it. Remember that a fly mask can render a horse unable to see during torrential rain, so if your animal is not accustomed to one, it may be prudent to leave it off to avoid panic.

If you must leave animals behind in your home, make sure they can easily access the highest level of the home in case of flooding. Leave at least a week's worth of fresh water-- most animals that die during hurricanes and natural disasters are those whose homes flood, or those whose owners can't make it home before the animal expires from heat and lack of water. If at all possible, take animals with you. Cats and dogs are not a priority during a natural disaster and you may find yourself unable to return home for days or weeks to get to them. Be aware that pets left behind in homes are often taken by animal rescue groups with little or no effort to reunite them with their owners ( the common thought is that if you left them, you don't care.) Take your treasured pets!

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
It is never good when a hurricane expert calls the eye "healthy" :(

At 6:45 PM central, Dorian dropped 20 millibars in less than two hours --- wind speed only needs to increase another 5 MPH to be a CAT 4:(:(

The terrible amount of uncertainty as to its path has to be gut wrenching for all in its possible path. If that were me, I would already be getting my critters out of Dodge.

Reactions: jaydee

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
5:00 AM advisories Saturday morning...
The state has been under "State of Emergency" declaration for days now, but the impact of that mandate are starting to be felt in earnest now.

Storm is a very, very powerful at a Cat 4, very well defined eye on satellite images.
Now moving a bit faster at 12MPH approaching part of the Bahama Islands then onto the coast of Florida.
European and American model tracking system has changed a bit though...
Exact track is still unknown ...
Now still expecting to come very close to a more southern landfall, but to remain just offshore, and hug the coastline...
This in essence will protect Florida from some of the damaging huge rainfall amounts but we will still be dealing with higher winds and lesser amounts of rain precipitation amounts.
Still to soon to know better where all of Florida will truly see Dorian arrive...
Projections now though also have the storm intensifying more, .... 140 MPH currently
As the storm travels northward it now is projected to maintain a CAT 3 designation slowly lowering to a CAT 2 as it exits Florida and then enters Georgia and heads to the Carolina's who are also now in great danger.
This regardless of exact landfall and turn north is putting all in peril for immense damages of wind and rain impacts done.
Continue to prepare.
Mandatory evacuations have begun in several areas of the state as of this morning.
Gas is plentiful although some places are out of fuel it is not because there is none available, it is because delivery was not scheduled soon enough and people trying to prepare have taken station owners unprepared for the onslaught of purchasing larger amounts...
The bottom line is...Sunday night the storm is knocking on our door....through sometimes Thursday before it departs to wreak havoc on other states and locations yet still not determined.
Then the job of cleaning up, assessing damages and a return to "normal" takes shape.
Many, many colleges, universities and many county schools throughout the state have closed, some also with mandatory "get-out" orders.
Every area is different but common to see schools closed at least through Tuesday and some have already done further into the week before considering reopening their doors.
Schools here are evacuation shelters and will be utilized by many...
For me, I finish fully boarding our home today regardless of wind predictions as blowing objects from others yards cause just as much damage to the unprepared.

This is my local news-feed this morning...snippets of a very long article..
National Hurricane Center projections showed Dorian hitting roughly near Fort Pierce, some 70 miles (113 kilometers) north of Mar-a-Lago, then running along the coastline as it moved north. But forecasters cautioned that the storm's track remains still highly uncertain and even a small deviation could put Dorian offshore — or well inland.
Early Saturday, Dorian was centered 470 miles (755 kilometers) east of West Palm Beach. It was moving northwest at 12 mph (17 kph). Forecasters warned that its slow movement means Florida could face a prolonged wallop of wind, storm surge and torrential rain.
Coastal areas of the southeastern United States could get 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 centimeters) of rain, with 18 inches (46 centimeters) in some places, triggering life-threatening flash floods, the hurricane center said.
The hurricane center's advisory released at 5 a.m. Saturday also warned that the "risk of strong winds and life-threatening storm surge" during the middle of next week is increasing along Georgia and South Carolina's coasts.
"Do not be foolish and try to brave out this hurricane," "The price you may pay for not evacuating is your life."

Take the warning and advice of the professionals on this...watch for weather updates and choose carefully what it is you follow and do.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As it approaches I get more and more nervous. My original plan was to keep my boys turned out but i caved in last minute and reserved stalls for them at an evacuation barn, so they will remain inside during the storm. There are no trees around that barn either so i can trust knowing they won’t get trapped or crushed by a tree. I’m tempted to see if i can stay with them in the barn but I have a feeling they won’t allow me to.

ahhh stay safe everyone!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another thing to consider when preparing for a hurricane is horse IDENTIFICATION. I made several ID tags at Petco and they are so handy! I keep one attached to my saddle another to a break away halter and braid one into my horse’s mane. Living in Charleston SC it seems we are always at risk during the season.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the track change and upgrade to Cat 5 we are looking at the east coast states facing potentially one of the worst storms to hit. Be prepared. Prayers are on going for all that will be affected.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
As of 8:00AM Sunday morning...
Dorian has been upgraded to a CAT 5 storm...they don't get a higher designation than this folks..
Exact track is still unknown...
Sunday night impact will be started to be felt along the West Palm Beach area of Florida, aka southeastern coast.
The storm is massive at between 200 - 300 miles wide, it is creeping along currently near the Bahama Islands at 8MPH and pounding them with super intensity.
Once it approaches Florida the unknown is when it will turn northerly direction or will it indeed reach our actual coastline.
The difference of a few miles will impact millions with how vicious the winds and rains shall be.
West coast of the state prediction is low impact if anything at all...
Central Florida could be in for winds of 115+ and that is a huge unknown yet who has less and who has more.
East coast is to get a pounding, a bad one expected.
With so much uncertainty though is also now a real threat of this storm is headed north to impact on Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina...how much again, not known but they will get something.
Prepare and do it now...with such a unpredictable track because of upper level fronts and pressure systems steering this storm, a small fluctuation is huge in impacts felt here on Earth.

Our home is fully boarded...looks like no one lives here and abandoned and what I think of as a foreclosure look to it.
Our lawns are all neatly mowed, everything is stowed away outdoors.
All vehicles are full of gas and garaged in preparation.
Only the farm tractor is outdoors yet and that is going inside the garage today to help secure the large roll-up door from buckling with hurricane force winds.
We wait and watch, praying all the work and preparation was unneeded and grateful we had the time to do such a thorough job.{our yard hasn't been this neat & clean in a long time :cool:}

My families thoughts and well-wishes are for those in the real danger areas with homes of differing building materials they are forced to leave and seek shelter, who live in flood areas known and who have medical issues they must seek a shelter....please be safe.

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
Thinking of you all in affected areas
Stay safe, please let us know that you are OK
If anyone is able to help with emergency accommodation or in any other way you can post here and use the PM facility to share details

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
HO-leeee Mo-leeee!

Dorian has become a strong CAT 5 with 180 MPH sustained wind and millibars dropped to 913. It was 150 MPH and 940 millibars when I went to the barn at 7:30AM. What a nightmare---

It's the strongest storm to ever come across the Bahamas.

There is going to major flooding clear up the east coast to at least Hatteras. Not to mention the "side effects" further inland.

Vero Beach, FL is under both a tornado warning and a hurricane watch.

I hope the folks who need to see this aren't seeing it because they are busy taking defensive action to keep themselves, family and critters safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
I'm hoping that LoriF is working a shift and with the storm approaching she is on overtime mandatory as preparations to secure equipment is mandated.
knightrider that is a beautiful gesture and offer of safe lodging for the animals...

The storm is still huge in size and ferocious in speed as a CAT 5 and 165 mph winds, down from yesterdays 185 sustained and gusts 220+mph...
Bahama islands are still bearing the brunt with movement at 1 mph for near a day...how anything withstands that or life is sustained is beyond my comprehension...
I expect there will be death tolls and the pile of rubble from Hurricane Michael bestowed on Florida a few years ago nothing compared to what we shall see when news media start showing images...
The storm, the eye is still about a day away from the Florida coast and still not made a turn north, yet.
The forecasters are hoping, praying they are correct that the storm will turn north before a coastal landfall on Florida happens, but they do not know.
There is a expected turn still predicted, where is still not known nor how close to the coast....the storm though is forecast to hug the state then proceed north through Georgia, then onto the Carolina's before exiting to sea and sparing more the central states and northeast and then Canada...
For my family we have another day nearly of waiting before the rains and outer-bands or wind arrive.
My horses will be taken off their pasture tonight and brought to the barn paddock area to have shelter if they wish from the storm.
I want no trees, hard-fencing to catch blowing debris if it comes to that and a building built strong enough to withstand punishing winds.
We may flood from wind-driven rains, good possibility but they will be safer using the barn structure if they go inside stalls for protection or stay outside and just use the barn itself as a wind barrier...some things left for them to decide.
I decided though they need to be home where trees are not a threat to my fence-line when I can't see them.

Thank-you to all for the well-wishes and prayers sent my and all the other members way while we await this storm to pass...
For some, it will be a non-event, for others their life will change forever.
I pray we all escape just wet from some rain and a bit of tree branches down, nothing worse...
The next 48 hours will tell the tale though...stay safe, or as safe as you can.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Good luck to everyone that is in the path of Dorian. I’m not in Florida for this one, but I remember the kindness and support when I was for Irma. I’m thinking of all of you, your families and friends, and your animals.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
Glad to hear you are absent for this one....
Worse I think than Irma and WPB is already showing some nasty effects occurring.
Stay away for now and if heading south watch the advisories carefully as Georgia, S & N Carolina are in the cross-hairs for a walloping.
The forecasters for the first time have mentioned the panhandle of the state is now near certainly out of danger...

UPDATE just came in...
Winds have decreased to 155mph but movement is still west at 1 mph...
Deadly in force and devastation to Bahamas just starting to be seen... unbelievable destruction and flooding.
The storm tracking though has shifted just enough by the overhead highs and fronts that my danger level just went up a notch as the curve will bring it closer to land and the outer bands of vicious winds will be fierce.
We just might see how strong my barn is made as I believe.. :frown_color:

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
@LoriF, we have not heard from you yet. Have you made plans? If you need to, you can consider evacuating here. It appears (currently) that we won't be hard hit. Of course, that can change, and we are preparing. But clearly, we are in a better place than you are.
Hi knightrider, I am here. Spent all of last week in the middle of a big renovation project on my kitchen, (not done yet), sat down to drink a can of coke, went to work a couple of days and now preparing for this huge storm. There's been some pretty stressful moments but I got all of the horses away from the coast and inland. They are being cared for by some wonderful people that have opened up their barn for people like me seeking relief for their animals. Now, I am going to board up my windows and see what happens. By tomorrow morning if it looks like it's going to get too sketchy here, my plan was to take the dogs, cat and birds with me and head due west. I might take you up on your offer to come there. I'll have my trailer to camp in if need be. Thanks so much for the wonderful offer as I was not quite sure where I was going to head to. Your a blessing as a friend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.