Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear female riders

Y'all probably know what I mean (or don't you??) If I ride long or canter alot I get an uncomfortable pain you know where...(and I am not talking about my butt or butt bones, those have adapted just fine) I cannot believe that I am the only rider suffering from this problem. I tried to find info on the internet but didn't find that much... I heard a rumor that professional equestrians have surgery done (don't know if that is true though, that would seem a bit extreme to me but okay)

What do you do against the pain or to prevent it?? I wear cotton underwear and cotton riding pants (soft stretchy) and have some kind of cream for chemical burns (it covers those with a thick gliding layer of stuff that you can also use for erm... unintended use).

also if I ride longer than 5 hours or if I ride 3 hours one day and 4 the next I get rub wounds on my butt. That's no fun either.

Tips? :smile:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
It's the saddle. I can ride for hours and hours with NO pain in some saddles. In other saddles, after a half hour, miserable pain. Because I own my own horses and saddles, I don't keep the ones that cause pain. It's tricky finding a saddle that fits my horse and is comfortable for me, but they are out there.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,094 Posts
I have experienced this problem, and here's what worked.

You need three things:
-Comfortable (preferably seamless) underwear
-Cheap thin panty-liners, in "long." You don't want anything with wings or anything extra. Just as plain and thin and simple as you can get. Place it further forward than you would for normal use.
-Lots of coconut oil

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Perching in the saddle or for some even the slightest forward tilt. Seat bones should be straight down or ever so slightly back. Seat size could be incorrect for your build. Twist of the saddle can also cause it. The narrow seem to cause more issue than wide. You could look into the bicyling shorts with the chamois crotch and use chamois butt'r or if not next I'd try a seat saver and see if that helps along with what you're already doing.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
For me, it's the saddle. In my harder dressage saddles I feel it there a lot worse. In the soft cushy AP saddle, I don't feel anything. That saddle is like the Barc-o-Lounger of saddles.

As others said, saddle fit is also probably playing a part. If you're using one with a narrow twist, try a wider twist; or vice versa.

Also, seriously -- surgery???? Is that really a thing??? Anyone?
:eek_color: :confused_color: :eek_color:

Reactions: Jolien

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
If tucking them up and in doesn't work then a trim job or removal does. I get it. I really do but that is, to me, extreme unless you are so well endowed that everyday life is painful. Yes, it is a real thing. My Gyn has pamphlets on it.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I had persistent problems and tried a lot of different solutions. A combo of three things worked for me.

1. these expensive Canadian gel pad underwear: JellyPantz
2. sheepskin seat pad. Do not bother with any other kind like foam or whatever.
3. changed my posture. Think about tucking my rear, sitting ON my sit bones (ischial tuberositae), and tightening my core. Keeping my toes under my hips. I have to keep working on this all the time.

All three work together. Also, just riding more, and faster (hours of walking is what gets to me, I can trot forever without getting sore).

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Things I tried that didn't work: cashel foam seat saver. padded bike shorts (they don't pad the right place). "technical" underwear -- whatever that is. Best lubricants are the ones runners use for chafing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
There was a long thread about this very thing in The Saloon (it is titled "Tender Bits") where it concerned somebody I took riding was having this issue. Changing what she wore underneath her jeans and using a different saddle that was flat instead of having a sudden rise to the forward part of the seat cured it for her. She hasn't had any problems since.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the saddle. I can ride for hours and hours with NO pain in some saddles. In other saddles, after a half hour, miserable pain. Because I own my own horses and saddles, I don't keep the ones that cause pain. It's tricky finding a saddle that fits my horse and is comfortable for me, but they are out there.

Yes, I noticed some saddles hurt more. Unfortunately I am not in the position to own my own horse or saddle. Maybe later on in life. :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sheepskin seat cover, and post the trot! and yes, don't ride on your 'fork'.

I post the trot but I sit the canter and that's when I get hit in the crotch the most because I move with the horse. I ride western so I generally sit on my seatbones (There is normally no contact between my lady parts and the saddle when riding like that, but when doing exercises and movements...)

@ACinATX Yeah, I heard professionals have it done, but I ride for fun and even if I was a professional I would never consider surgery down there. :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smooth saddle seat or rough out? I have issues with rough out seats, so I sold my "nicer" saddle that had one, and kept the very used Abetta that doesn't.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smooth saddle seat or rough out? I have issues with rough out seats, so I sold my "nicer" saddle that had one, and kept the very used Abetta that doesn't.

I ride in different saddles, but I ride my friend's horse the most and he has a western saddle with roughed up leather (suede) in the seat. I experience a bit of pain after riding in that saddle, but the saddles on the school horses hurt the most. Those are tiny (seat is too tiny for me: cantle too close to seat rise), the leather is hard and the front of the saddle (seat rise) is narrow and high so that feels uncomfortable and some saddles even hit me really hard in my crotch during galopping and when posting the trot I felt an imbalance and it felt all wrong so I told my instructor but she told me I was imagining that. (that was the same one that put me on a tiny pony and gave me spurs). I quit that riding school. :p

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perching in the saddle or for some even the slightest forward tilt. Seat bones should be straight down or ever so slightly back. Seat size could be incorrect for your build. Twist of the saddle can also cause it. The narrow seem to cause more issue than wide. You could look into the bicyling shorts with the chamois crotch and use chamois butt'r or if not next I'd try a seat saver and see if that helps along with what you're already doing.

I think you're right... I should have a saddle fitted for me... The problem now is that I don't own a horse and I ride school horses and my friend her horse. I found a really good riding barn though with an instructor that seems to know what he is doing. He let me try the horse and saddle while holding the horse on a long rope (no trainer has ever done this, they just give me a horse and let me figure it out). He wanted to see how the horse and I interacted and worked together. I really appreciate that. He cares about his horse and about the rider horse fit. He also gave me a very responsive horse so I can learn refined things. I also appreciate that alot... I think he will be open to talk about the saddle too, he is in his seventies and very experienced with horses...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to look into the seat saver, the underwear and the lubricants some more! What are the best seat savers? Tips anyone? :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.