The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, trying to get Flame to give to the bit, when all she is doing is throwing her head and shaking it. I worked at getting her to give me one round, calm circle, but it just wouldn't happen in the half hour I was on her back asking. I hopped off and decided to feel in her mouth. I just opened her lips and about crapped my pants. Can someone please tell me why there is a giant hook left on her tooth? It's like this on both sides, and I'm just trying to figure out why a dentist would see this as acceptable, when t is sitting there, constantly pressed into her tongue. Please tell me I'm not crazy and that I do see a huge problem here.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Bafflement totally justified, but attention needed now, I'm afraid - after this is remedied, I'd definitely make a few calls and request an answer! For now, stay as focused as you are on your horse's immediate need.... hope she feels better! I'm sure she will :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thing is, supposedly she had been floated at her old home. What experienced dentist would allow this? I'm just completely baffled.. I've never seen something like this
How long ago was that? Most vets are not experienced dentists and don't like doing teeth. Their work reflects that.

She doesn't have an opposing tooth so that hook is a result of just not having another surface grinding against it. She will always have a problem there.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long ago was that? Most vets are not experienced dentists and don't like doing teeth. Their work reflects that.

She doesn't have an opposing tooth so that hook is a result of just not having another surface grinding against it. She will always have a problem there.
I got her 2 months ago, and the guy I got her from had her for about a year. He didn't say specifics on when, but this couldn't have just shown up overnight. As soon as I seen that, I about blew my top. I'm going to work on getting a dentist out here, I know 3 very good dentists that are for the horse's comfort.

I feel so bad for getting mad at her earlier when she was throwing her head and being a terror. No wonder why! At-least when I felt her teeth in the back, they weren't terribly sharp. I guess we will go back to riding in a halter for a while until the dentist comes out.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
An good equine dentist will ask you what kind of bit(s) you use and adjust the float for a proper bit seat. I noticed the better equine dentists also use stocks or an over head hoist to do a better job.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I'd wager she hasn't been done in a long time. My horse is missing a bottom incisor and gets a hook on the top tooth but it doesn't get anywhere near that pronounced even after a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm scheduling an appointment. I'm guessing, if she did have dentist work, they only worked on the back. Other then that, she hasn't been worked on in 10 years

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
My mare has the same thing. All the vets out here do the main floating and a front teeth reduction. But I dont have the $ for a front teeth reduction. It dose not seem to bother her. She is an easy keeper and has not had any mouth issues (she is a baby about things so i would be the first to know -_-')

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Some horses need floated more often than others. When I first got Cinny I had to float him 3 times the first year! He is a nervous grinder though. Now that I have fixed most of the issues causing the teeth grinding (ulcers, mag deficiency, lack of confidence, etc) we are down to once a year. My old horse only needed done every couple of years.

I would stop thinking about what was or wasn't done in the past because it's a moot point right now and focus on what needs done now. Get a dentist out now, and I would stop riding with a bit until it's done. If the hooks are inward, you could cause a lot of damage to the tongue.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Actually, THAT hook on the corner tooth is normal although a little larger than usual ;) Horses get them typically at about age 7 11 15 etc etc as the tooth angle changes. You will often hear it called the 7 11 hook in relation to aging a horse by its teeth.

It "Could" be causing a problem but if you have ridden her previously to this successfully (since you have had her only 2 months) , id be looking elsewhere for problems such as back molars, saddle fitting issues which would be my top guess, bitting issues such as a low palette being jabbed by a single snaffle link or so forth. This hook did not form overnight.

an example of an 11 year old hook. http://www.saddleupnebraska.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/teeth017.jpg

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Also remember that this horse has arthritis. And if you are repetitively making her do small circles, that may also be the problem. Those hooks could be bothering her too. Best to have a GOOD dentist look at her.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ahhh ....arthritis also would be a biggie. Its winter and the cold can really aggravate arthritis. I know firsthand! LOL

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I don't know you or the horse, but do you know what you are doing, does she know what she is supposed to be doing, and does she know what you want?
Aside from the tooth this could just be a training thing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, THAT hook on the corner tooth is normal although a little larger than usual ;) Horses get them typically at about age 7 11 15 etc etc as the tooth angle changes. You will often hear it called the 7 11 hook in relation to aging a horse by its teeth.

It "Could" be causing a problem but if you have ridden her previously to this successfully (since you have had her only 2 months) , id be looking elsewhere for problems such as back molars, saddle fitting issues which would be my top guess, bitting issues such as a low palette being jabbed by a single snaffle link or so forth. This hook did not form overnight.

an example of an 11 year old hook. http://www.saddleupnebraska.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/teeth017.jpg
I have never seen a horse with hooks like that. Of all of the horses I have looked at in the mouth, their teeth never had a slight hook. It was sharp, and completely unacceptable to me. I am working on getting a dentist out, but we just had to pay a vet bill for 4 horses :oops: She'll be working in a rope halter until her teeth are done. I've been using one of the myler ported bits, the very small ones. I believe it is the one that is legal for dressage. She does have a low palette, so I stayed away from the jointed snaffles.

When it comes to the saddle, she acted fine in it until I started asking for turns, where I think is when the bit would bother her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts