The Horse Forum banner

I am not popular today with my trail buddies

1745 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  301840
But when we left, it was just a light mist! Ops, we got poured on 20 minutes out, mybad!
Horse Dog Vertebrate Plant Carnivore
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,577 Posts
Haha, I narrowly avoided being "that girl" yesterday. It seemed like a great idea to go on a 12 mile trail ride with a friend when it was just cloudy and the forecast said rain starting at 2pm. When it started misting around 11am I got nervous, but we were home by noon. Not 20 minutes later, the skies opened. But at least we were home!

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,753 Posts
I always loved riding in the rain, nothing wrong with that, except my saddle would get soaked so I learned over the years if rain was in the forecast I would use my older saddle. With the drought we are having here in South/Central Texas riding in the rain wont be happening here anytime soon or later it looks like.
When I would ride and it would start to rain all my dogs would run ahead of me to go find a bush or tree to get under and wait for me to come by then they would follow closely just about under my horse trying to stay out of the rain.

· Registered
9,577 Posts
A popular phrase of my first trainer: It's only four raindrops (a Spanish idiom for a light five minutes sprinkle).
I like that! I used to volunteer at a therapeutic riding place that only had an outdoor riding ring. Their perspective was "if it's only spitting outside, we're riding" - I think the "only spitting" phrase is along the same lines as your "four raindrops."

· Registered
169 Posts
This happened over 2 years ago... I went out with a poncho on thinking it might rain lightly. I got halfway through my ride and it started POURING... A family in our subdivision were in their front yard and saw my predicament. They offered to let us on I hang out with them in their front yard. When I realized the rain wasn't going to let up, I wound up taking off my saddle/pad and leaving it with them. Then we walked the rest of the way home. The family was kind enough to text my Mom for me to let them know we were fine - I had my phone with me (always do) but it was buried in a ziplock bag under the poncho.

My Mom took this picture of us as we came towards our house (& of course the rain had slowed down a bit) and you can see the swale and how much water was in there.

My boots were squishy, my pants were so wet and glued to me that when I got back to the barn my Mom helped me get them off, and my saddle & pad took a week to fully dry.
Water Plant Green Botany Working animal

· Read Only
194 Posts
Done that, I begged my friend to go out on a ride on the road and about half a mile away out of no where it started to rain… Then my friend was like “Let’s canter back part of it!” I, agreed and as we were cantering the horse tripped on a rock we both went dow. And I sprained my wrist

1 - 17 of 17 Posts