Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Ok..... Here we go..... :lol::lol:

My mom just out of the blue wants to get me a new horse!!!:shock::shock::shock: He's a real pretty bay boy, he's 7, a TB - never raced, and is very sweet. The only thing is he's a stallion. He jumps really well, and has awsome movement. I really would like him, but wont want to breed. Can I geld him, or is he too old now?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It really all depends on how he is, if he has ever been bred before, temperament, ect. I know of a horse that was gelded at 10 years old, and he was great as a gelding, and I know another horse who was gelded at 6 and was still very much stud-like.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
He's not too old to geld, and it's better not to own a stallion.

Even as calm and kind as some of them are, they're intact males whose instincts are to breed.

I knew a stallion who was gelded at 18 y/o. He was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also if you don't geld him you cant show him. You have to be 18 to show a stallion incase he injures someone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
my horse was gelded at age 9, hes still very stud like but, he cant breed.
i would deffinitly recommend to get him gelded, its much easier owning a gelding, ie..most barns wont let stallions board there, most smaller shows dont allow stallions with a rider under 18, stallions will try to breed any mare they see, they fight with geldings...stuff like that

·
Registered
634 Posts
his age is no problem to been gelded,you may have to search for a vet as some might think he is too old to be cut

·
Registered
72 Posts
The procedure for gelding older stallions is a bit more involved as there are frequently bleeding issues for the older ones. A better veterinarian should and would be willing and capable.

congrats on your new boy!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.