The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Omg. Things are just getting so stressful. I own 2 horses and I take care of them daily, feeding/watering which is no problem, been doing it for 8 years. I have school from 8:30-3:15 Mon-Fri. because I'm 15 and in grade 10. Then I work at a stable on Saturday from 7am to 4-5pm. On Sunday I work at the same stable from 7am to 10-11am{just doing the barn}. I've been doing that arrangement for 2 weeks. I also need to help at an equine rescue on Sunday after work beause I need volunteer hours for school and I love helping these horses. It is getting a little tiring but I think with all my heart I can handle it. My marks haven't dropped yet.

The thing is I am planning on showing this summer and will be possibly taking my 2 horses to the stable I work/learn at in May. That will allow me to work them with my coach around everyday {or 5-6 days a week}. My mom just suggested that we adopt 2 of the rescues, either yearlings or 2 year olds. Something we can start, train up nicely and then maybe sell or keep so the family can ride together. I know I'm 15 but I want horses as a career when I leave highschool. My mom is allowing my brother to homeschool and his marks went up 10-20%. Should I homeschool to, after grade 10 is over of course. If I'm to be training these horses I need more time available. This could be the start of something amazing.

Please give me some advice on what to do. I don't wanna homeschool cause I'll have no prom, I'll have no graduation, I won't see my friends everyday and I'll never meet a guy I can fall in love with. BUT, on the other hand I can start my dream if I get homeschooled. UGH I dunno what to do!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can do half and half no?
I mean, there should be something that your school can offer for some online courses and you cant take just some subjects in it. That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could take some at home I guess. Maybe Social and english, do mat and science at school cause they're harder. hmm. that's good advice.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think it'd be good for you to homeschool. It would definitely take a LOAD of time out of your crazy schedule, think about how much time you waste during school hours. And don't worry about not meeting a guy or anything like that, chances are you wouldn't meet the love of your life in your high school anyways.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Homeschool is a REALLY good idea for this kind of situation. These days so much of the time at school is waiting around and messing around. When I switched to homeschool I was spending under a quarter of the time and learning 100% more than I had been in school. I think you should definitely do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really leaning towards it but what about prom and stuff like that? Did you homeschoolers ever miss the fact that you didn't have that?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm really leaning towards it but what about prom and stuff like that? Did you homeschoolers ever miss the fact that you didn't have that?
Around here you can still go to prom if you homeschool. Usually at least they have a rule that you can go if you are the date of someone attending the school.
I'm going to be going to prom this year with my girlfriend who lives 300 miles away from me, haha
As long as I'm with her and pay the necessary fees they'll let me in.

**Note, definitely will not miss official graduation, though. I'm still not over the hours sitting in the scorching heat watching my sister graduate three years ago. Torture!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. maybe I will talk to the counselors and my mom about all of it. I don't wanna miss out on my friends and all the things that go along with being in school but things I never thought could happen for me are happening with horses and I need to grab it and take it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Dont set yourself up for so many activites. You have your whole life to do many of these things...so why stress yourself out now trying to multi-task all of them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.