The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my Barn Owner... The vet was out this morning to clean Galahad's Sheath... Just a simple cleaning, and a simple physical check up... And it ended with the Vet telling JoAnn that Galahad has Cancer... How does that happen... How does something so routine turn into something so horrible... She said she thinks it's spread to the point where there's nothing that can be done.

My B.O is calling Cornell to see if we can bring him up there for more tests and such, she wants to do everything possible to help him. But if it's spread as far as our vet thinks it has, he'll probably have to be put down :no:

Galahad is an 8 year old Shire cross. He was a rescue from being an abused carriage horse. He came to the farm totally strung out and afraid of everything... we've only had him for about 5 months, and I've been doing most of the work with him, I absolutely love him and I am heartbroken

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I'm so sorry! He sure is a beautiful boy. Hopefully SOMETHING can be done for him. But, if he is in pain, putting him down is the best that anyone could do for him.

:(

ps- cancer sucks.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
im so sorry ! that is really hard

i hope whatever happens he doesnt have to suffer

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
That really sucks. I hope something can be done for him. At least he has had you guys for the past 5 months. You guys probably gave him the best months of his life. I'm sending you good thoughts.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I am so sorry darling! **HUGS** I pray that something can be done for him. He is absolutely beautiful, and I will keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers!

I know this is really hard, and very stressfull, so if you need to talk, don't hesitate to reach out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! Here's a random video I took of him like a month ago!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I am so sorry!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I am going to assume that the vet found equine melanomas in his sheath area while cleaning him. I don't want to sound callous or anything but unfortunately, that is the curse of a gray horse. Dobe has already had 2 cancers removed and it is only a matter of time before more show up. Most gray horses get them and they do sometimes spread internally though it is harder to track those than it is the ones that show up on the outside. For some reason, they generally appear mostly around the sheath and under the tail. I guess my point is, don't rush into "he must be put down" until you find out exactly what is going on. There is no way to tell what is going on inside Galahad without running a buttload of tests. If the vet found a couple of bumps in his area while cleaning him, that isn't such a catastrophe. Some of them can even be removed, depending on the size and location. So long as he is maintaining weight easily and doesn't seem to be in any pain, don't give him an expiration date yet. I feel your pain, I have been there, but I really suggest that you do some reading up on equine melanomas (I did after Dobe got them). Horses can live for many, many years with melanomas before any real threat to their general health is presented. We had a gray mare years ago that began to get them under her tail when she was about 10 years old. She lived to the ripe old age of 30 and never showed any signs of pain, it just wasn't very attractive.

I'm not trying to second guess your vet cause I haven't actually seen Galahad but I do know that cancer is really common in gray horses and is seldom a death sentence in one so young. It is also impossible to tell without running tests to find out how advanced the condition is, you can't tell by looking. Don't let yourself get down just yet.

Here are a couple of sites that helped me through my stress after my horse had them.

Gray area

The Horse | Don't Ignore Melanomas

VMRCVM - The Research Program

All this being said, I do understand what you are going through. I am sending huge hugs for both you and Galahad and wishing you the best of luck.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
That's horrible, especially because he's so young. I'm really sorry. I hope something can be done for him. You just have to hope for the best and brace for the worst. He's so gorgeous, too.
*hugs* :(

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I'm so sorry. Putting animals down is hard. My MFT foundered....we had to put him down, he was in so much pain. I spent lots of time with my other horses....especially my best friend, Arthur. Arthur loved our MFT, Bo, and it was hard on both of us. It's not fair....ever. But the best thing is to never let him suffer. You'll know when he wants to go, and hopefully you'll be able to let him go to horse heaven and be without cancer when he's no longer able to be here. You two are in my prayers

~Equiniphile~

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.