The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new mare about 2 weeks, almost 3 weeks ago. She's an 8 year old Holsteiner with the training of a 4 or 5 year old. She was fine the first week or so, I could take her out on trails by myself,(she had never been on a trail ride before) and ride her up in our arena with no problems. I've recently run into quite a few snags with her, the main one being rearing. If she doesnt want to do something, she rears, not huge mind you, but they get bigger the more i push her. If theres something scary on the trails, she wont go near it, even if its a log that looks a little funny. I've tried letting her look at it, then gently pursuading her foreward, I've tried force, i.e a crop. I get the same results every time. I've never had to deal with rearing before so I need to know, do I correct it? If so, how? Or so I just carry on as if nothing ever happened?
Not only does she rear, she bucks and crow hops too, if she is dead set on not going near something or if she's decided she's had enough of what we're doing. (she did this with trotting poles the other day, went over them perfectly, then we did other things, when we went back to the poles again, she decided she'd had enough and kept rearing.)
I feel like I've gone in way over my head with this mare, and I don't know what to do. I do have a trainer, but I have to travel to her and I dont have a trailer, so I go when my friend goes, but her horse is lame so we aren't going for a lesson anytime soon. Oh and all her tack fits, my trainer checked. Any help would be awesome, Thank you to anyone who's read through all this!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
As far as the trail riding thing goes, I would ride with other people for a while and let her figure out how to relax. I would NOT ride her alone out on the trail, and if she's bucking/rearing, I would not ride her alone in the arena, either.

Here are some things to consider:
Do you ride every day? I have one that gets upset if you ride him for seven days in a row. You can ride him six, but on day seven, you can feel the mad. He likes his off-time.

Does punishment make her behavior worse? If so, try to keep her moving. I rode a horse for a while who bucked occasionally. Any kind of punishment just made it worse, but if I made him keep moving or really made him work, he got over it pretty quickly.

Do you get stressed and/or frustrated while you're on her? If you do, your muscles tighten up and she can feel it. This affects some horses more than others. I have several that don't really care, and I had a couple that got agitated and wanted to act up.

Is there something about this particular horse that makes her worth this hassle? I ask this because safety is a big issue for me, and if you are worried that you are in over your head, you probably are. If there is something about her that makes her very special or valuable TO YOU, then I would recommend having your trainer or someone your trainer recommends ride her for a while. At the very least, you can get an informed opinion as to what is causing her behavior and how easy/difficult it would be to correct her. I had an awesome barrel horse, but he started having issues with going in the gate. I loved him, but I decided that his ability and heart were not worth getting hurt, or possibly getting someone else hurt, so I sold him and bought another.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. Take what you find useful and ignore the rest.

Good luck with her, and I hope everything works out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.