The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I don't know where to post this, so I'll just post it here.

So I went out to ride my horse on Tuesday as I had no school. Went out with the impression we had all day, well lucky i did as it took me 30min to just get on Abbi.

Caught her fine, tacked her up etc.. put my helmet on and tightened her girth and stretched her legs. But every time i shorted my reins and lifted my leg up to put it in the stirrup she'd run backwards or try to rear or shake her head (you know doing the dominate horse thing) or spin around.

When she did any of these things I'd, 'growl' at her, back her up, bring her forwards spin her round, etc. And bring her back to the exact spot she was standing.

SHE WAS BEING A BRAT! Im going to get the chiro out just in case she's sore but once I got on her she was fine, but I just want to rule that out. I ended up grabbing the stirrup and flicking it, so the stirrup leather made a noise on the saddle.. did that until she stood still and then I stopped. Kept doing this for awhile until she was fine with that. Then started putting weight in the stirrup on both sides until she settle down, because she was being rediculis (sp??), when I was doing this, jumping up and down on the spot etc.. :shock: (what a nutter)

Then I just worked to standing in the stirrup on the one side and getting back down again.. kept doing this for a while on both sides, until she was calm and just standing there. And then I got on... she was fine once I was on her, so this leads me to my question...

Any idea what it could be?? And did I do the right thing??

Regards Brooke.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Maybe when you tightend the cinch and it pulled hair? then when she stopped moving around it was fixed. I dont know but my horse has done that to me and sometimes the cinch was pulling the hair and hurting the horse.
It sounds like you did the right thing as far as being patient.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mmmmm, perhaps, didn't really think about that... shall have to keep an eye on that. Thanks :D

Oh and it was windy.. do you think that if it wasn't the girth it could have something to do with that. I've been told thats what it is (the wind) but i don't think she should have gonna that loopy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.