The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the dog show protesters are screaming about pure breed dogs. (And Sadie wins! - YEAH SADIE!)

Scottish terrier wins best in show - NASCAR News - FOX Sports on MSN

mutts are better, rescue a mutt blah blah. I have done both. I've gone to the pound and picked up a dog, and a cat. I've gotten my barn cats from friends of felines which is a feral program. I bought a collie. why does buying a pure dog make you a bad person? What if it's what you want? Why should you have to go to the pound and pick up a mutt if it's not what you want?

Same with horses. If you breed, it better be the highest of qualities, otherwise you are a bad owner for even considering. Why must you rescue if that's not what you want? If you DO want to rescue, make sure you are qualified because even though you want to do good. You will be labeled as evil or stupid.

I don't get it. Why is it anyones business that I want a pure bred dog? Or a mutt. Or a horse that has 3 legs and is missing an eyeball? Why can't I breed my horse that is half friesian, half quarter horse, half standardbred, half arab, half TB, half halflinger, half icelander, half mini, half clyde. Man that would be one interesting foal! Dontcha think?

Sorry... just ranting really....

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Meh, it's PETA. I consider them a four-letter word, and leave it at that.

Remember, PETA is all about the publicity, not making any sense.

I prefer a dog whose history I know, or I can find out. Horses, too. Which means I usually buy from a breeder, which means the animal is a purebred.

Nothing wrong with mutts, if that's what you want. Nothing wrong with a purebred, if that's what you want.

People need to get out of each other's business and realize that everyone has their own opinions and desires about how things should work.

None of the ideas and opinions are WRONG, they're just different. As long as no animals and people are injured or abused, then it's all just window dressing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree.

The husband and I wanted to buy a beagle for small game hunting. His father's family grew up hunting rabbits with beagles but when his beagle was stolen he just never got another one. My husband really enjoyed this, so we decided to go ahead and by from a reputable breeder that was breeding for hardy little hunting dogs.

Our beagle is NOT a perfect AKC standard beagle (but is AKC reg.). She just isn’t as square and blocky as the ‘show’ beagles are. She is small and a bit daintier and more much more narrow so she can move faster, turn quicker, and hug lower under the brush. She's never sick or lame; she has no genetic defects or health problems. She is my ideal little dog. She takes a beating, does her job well, and at the end of the day she is the perfect child’s pet and house dog. She is probably to hyper active for a therapy type dog, and she doesn’t listen as well as my traditional ideal dog does because she needs to be independent, and confident enough to run off and trail rabbits… so she doesn’t get off the leash much when she isn’t fenced in or out hunting.

I’m sure many people would not call her breeder ‘quality’ but he breeds amazing little rabbit dogs that do win trials here in Pa and the surrounding states. Are their legs perfectly straight? I’m sure not. Are they perfect breed standard? No. Are they inbreed or line bred; No.

And, yes, we looked into rescuing a beagle first but no one will adopt to us because a) we don’t have a fenced in yard (we have 10 acres though far away from a road) and b) we wanted to use her for hunting and 99% of the rescues we looked at had employees who were members of PETA or had strict opinions on hunting. :roll:

This is Daisy, our beagle btw. I think we have a very nice dog.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
It is a pain. Several of my friends are of the rescue is best mindset and if you buy a registered purebreed it's not as good. Really they think that everyone's dog needs can be solved with a mutt from the shelter.

They are starting to change their minds after long exposure to a family that breeds (mine) and people that want to use their dogs for specific things (feild trial/hunting/etc). Personally if I was to buy a dog it would be a purebred and I would research the breeder, their lines, and the breed extensively before buying. If some random stray dog showed up on my doorstep and was never claimed I would keep it and give it a great home. What I like about purebreds is that you can have a general idea of the tempermant/energy levels/health issues of the dog are going to be. So if I'm going to shell out a decent sum of money I want to have an idea of what I'm getting
I just don't particularly like buying rescue dogs or going through the ridiculous process of being approved to own a pet. My friend wanted to rescue and they wouldn't let her because during the day her dogs weren't right in the house with them (she runs a daycare). They gave her chapter and a verse about what a bad dog owner she was.

I considered going to the humane society/rescue to get a couple barn cats. Now I treat my barn cats really well. We're talking vax, food every night, warm boxes to sleep in, heat lamps in the winter, unfrozen water to drink out of, and vet visits when they're ill. But I'm not considered good enough to rescue a cat. It's really irritating. So I went to a farm and picked out a couple wormy skinny kittens and brought them home. I "rescued" them. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the stigma with purebreds comes from the puppymill mindset, that all purebreds come from some sort of horrible breeding facility. While these places sadly exist, there are also tons of reputable breeders. And you can also get purebreds from rescues. Meh. The general public can be pretty stupid sometimes.

Tiger- I went through that rigmarole trying to adopt a dog through our county's shelter. While I was looking at him...and they knew I was, the ladies who run the cell program (the dogs go to a jail to be trained by inmates) snatched him up. They proceeded to make me jump through every hoop imaginable...I had to agree to random home checks (you'd think I was adopting a child?) yada...yada...I decided it was too much bull****. Then they chewed me out for "wasting their time" and I'm basically blacklisted from adopting from that shelter again. Whatever.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
We wanted a Mastiff (hubby had a bunch as a kid) so we tried shelters....well, there aren't any in shelters, the rescues snap 'em all up. Ok, went to the rescues and NOPE, I have kids under the age of 10. I was flat out told that I was an idiot for wanting a large dog with small children. So I bought a BullMastiff from a breeder.

I've had mutts and they were great dogs and I'd have no issues getting another. I wanted a puppy, hubby wanted a big, lazy dog and getting the right breed (instead of a mix of who knows what) ensured we got what we wanted and what would successfully be a permanent member of our family.

I've got nothing against mutts but if I'd gone with a Mastiff Mix and ended up with a hyper, spazzy, barky dog, it would've ended up right back in the shelter since we both work from home and and need to have conference calls on speakerphone for hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I wish beagles didn't have such an obnoxious sound. They are very cute dogs!

We've been a mutt family for some time. Mom owned pit bulls way back when, and a few years ago she got back into them. That's pretty much the only dog we'll get now. Having worked at a shelter, lots of those dogs are neurotic.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Farmpony,

Adorable dog. My husband grew up with rabbit beagles too, he would love another one. I love to listen to them hunt. I won't show him the photo of yours. :)

I adopted a purebred dog, a Lab. I have a thing for Labs. I didn't want to shoot over her or field trial her, I just have a life long love of the breed. It was a private adoption, not a rescue. There are some advantages to knowing the dog's background and what it was bred to do.

I have some serious issues with dog rescues. My BFF and my sister both have incredible rescue horror stories (BFF adopted a dog the rescue knew was agressive/dangerous, sister adopted a dog the rescue knew had her bladder nerve cut during spaying and was incontinent and wasn't told.) I also couldn't pass the rescue home study because we do not have a fenced yard. 14 acres, but no fenced yard.

I have some of the same issues with equine rescues. Adopting an OTTTB, OTTSB or a mustang won't stop the indiscriminate breeding of TBs, SBs or mustangs. It also won't stop back yard breeders from breeding trash. Realistically, though, back yard breeders are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the unwanted horse population. A lot of soft hearted people have been brainwashed into thinking they've accomplished some sort of social good by paying a fee to "adopt" a horse unsuitable for their skill level or chosen discipline.

I'll stop ranting now. Thanks for bringing this up and letting me say my piece.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Maura I'm glad your another lab person. I love the breed. My friends all hate labs, but I grew up with them and they're everything I want in a dog. :D I don't think I'll ever not have one.

I don't really get rescues. I mean I understand that they want the animals to have a good home, but I don't understand how they can be so closed minded about what constitutes a good home. As long as you're taking care of the animals physical and emotional needs you should be approved. A lot more dogs would end up with great homes than not IMO. You can look around in my group of friends and find several different ways of taking care of dogs and all of our dogs are happy and well loved. Anyways, I'll stop now, this is always a topic that gets me going.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I will never own anything other that a purebred dog. My moms family were professional dog handlers/trainers/clinicians specializing in gun dogs, so I grew up with different sporting breeds and hearing my family spout the virtues of good breeding. My grandpa even showed at Westminster in the 80's.
I don't get why people slam those who want to buy a purebred - a pet is such a personal choice. I think if you pay good money for a purebred you are more likely to look after it,and be prepared for the characteristics it is likely to display. Joe Blow off the street walking into the shelter and picking up a mutt who may or may not come with severe behavioural issues...well, maybe that dog is more likely to end up in a less than ideal situation with a family unprepared to deal with it. I know lots of great mutts, and adoption is great, but I think its stupid to bash purebred dog owners. If I own a dog, it has a purpose(field trials usually), so I get a dog that suits the purpose.
I do own a cat from a shelter, and she is amazing. She's a Himalayan Persian cross - possibly the cutest cat ever!
I will say that I have rescued a dog from a shelter, it was a Visla and I worked with a breed rescue organization.
For my next dog, I'm looking into an Italian Greyhound! I've never looked owned a dog smaller than 80lbs, but man, they are CUTE!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I think there are only two places to get a dog. A GOOD reputable breeder (one that interviews the buyer as much as the buyer is interviewing the breeder) or shelter/rescue.

I think purebred dogs are great. I own three, none of which I have papers for because 2 of the three came thru rescues.
I hate back yard breeders and they are rampant in dog breeding. They make back yard horse breeders look rare.

Purebred dogs from good breeders are the best thing. A breeder that is trying to do right by the breed and breeds for that purpose, not just to make more puppies. A breeder who does not jump on the designer dog band wagon.

And there is for sure nothing wrong with a shelter/rescue dog. Rescues/shelters are a great place to find a dog for a family pet, etc.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am heavily involved and have been for years with a reputable breed specific rescue organization for dogs, the key word here being reputable:wink: There are many so-called rescues that result in some of the nightmares people have mentioned here. We have no problem with anyone purchasing purebred pups (I have done it as well) from again, a REPUTABLE breeder who does all necessary health testing etc. The issues do arise from not only the horrific puppy mills but backyard breeders as well who are not breeding for quality and preservation of the breed but for profit and truly only adding to the problem of overpopulation in the in the long run :-( As far as placement of our foster dogs, there is a set of basic things that must be in place, a good vet reference being first and foremost and yes always a home vist as we need to know that our dogs are going to a dog-safe and dog-friendly environment. As an example, we might look for signs like worn ground areas where a dog may have been tied which is not an acceptable method of containment IMO especially since we deal in a toy breed:wink: aside from this it is all about a match. No one dog and one person are always going to be the right match. I have adopted a larger boned, more outgoing, very playful dog to a lady with a two year old. The next foster I had was very dainty, very dramatic and very reserved. I turned down adopters with small children, that would not have been a fit for her OR for the family. We look at things on a case by case basis and in regards to the particular foster dog we are dealing with...this will help ensure success in our primary goal which is a FOREVER home for our dogs, many who have come from very rough starts. They are not available until they are healthy (and the vet costs can be astronomical for us at times) altered and socialized with basic training. We, as volunteers, put in many many hours and alot of money to achieve this end result. SO I really just wanted to throw out there that there are many very good rescues out there who do ALOT of wonderful things. If rescue is not for you, by all means buy from a reputable breeder or adopt from a shelter. A good rescue would never discourage these things. and as for those PETA people at the show, I'm with you.....is there an icon for whacked? LOL

·
Registered
627 Posts
Purebreds from excellent breeders (as in...not backyard breeders, scum of the dog world they are) = dogs who do the job you want them too well, and no surprises.

Shelter dogs can be great too. Honestly, there is a place for both. We bought a registered schipperke from a good breeder as a pup...and she is true to type and an awesome little dog. We also rescued a mixed breed (saint bernard/bernese mountain dog) and I love her to death.

Mutts and shelter dogs will always have a place close to my heart...but then again, so do Borzoi and corgis. ;) Like I said, there is a place for both, neither one is particularly better than the other...it's all up to what you are looking for in a dog. Good, ethical breeders need to stay in business.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Really; I'm neutral on the subject. Do what you want, screw what other people think. :).

I have 3 rescue dogs, 4 rescue cats, 1 dog from a breeder, and another from a puppymill. The puppymill girl is turning 12, I think, this year. We were stupid then. :).

I'm looking for Dobermans, Rottweilers, and Pit Bulls to show, rescues can't help me there. :)

Same with horses, I want to show in (example) AQHA sanctioned shows, so I need a registered horse, which you normally (you can, but not great for halter showing..) can't get. Oh well, everyone has an opinion. :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Pure bred dogs don't bother me. What bothers me is poorly bred dogs, and that can often happen to pure breds. Dogs that have debilitating conformation flaws (such as faulty german shepherd hips and Norwegian Ridgeback spines) and an abundance of genetic diseases continue to be bred because there are very few regulations preventing them from doing so, and many of these unhealthy dogs are shown and win anyways. This is enough to light a fire under my belly. If this was happening in the horse world, people would be outraged, why should dog breeders be given so much more slack?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.