Which breed?

• Dutch Warmblood

• Arabian

• Appaloosa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have never had a horse. I am with them all of the time but I have never had one of my own. I am going to be getting one within the next two years and I have narrowed it down to a few different breeds. So, I do eventing and stadium jumping. My top favorite is Dutch warmblood but they are so expensive and a lot of them are just plain bay (I am not a big fan of bay horses because it seems like everyone has a bay.)And they are one of the best jumping horses. My second favorite is Arabians because they are just some of the most beautiful horses, in my opinion, they jump, and they come in a variety of colors and prices. My third choice is Appaloosa because I love their coat and I have wanted one for as long as I can remember but I am not sure if they can jump on the level that I want to. So please, I am welcome to all suggestions, thank you!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi, I have never had a horse. I am with them all of the time but I have never had one of my own. I am going to be getting one within the next two years and I have narrowed it down to a few different breeds. So, I do eventing and stadium jumping. My top favorite is Dutch warmblood but they are so expensive and a lot of them are just plain bay (I am not a big fan of bay horses because it seems like everyone has a bay.)And they are one of the best jumping horses. My second favorite is Arabians because they are just some of the most beautiful horses, in my opinion, they jump, and they come in a variety of colors and prices. My third choice is Appaloosa because I love their coat and I have wanted one for as long as I can remember but I am not sure if they can jump on the level that I want to. So please, I am welcome to all suggestions, thank you!
In my opinion I’d choose the Arab. Not only are they the most beautiful of all breeds, but I also believe they’re the most intelligent. Once you bond with an Arab they’ll be intensely loyal to you; it’s inbred in them.
The best horses I’ve ever known have been Arabs. Years ago, my daughter was riding my friend’s Egyptian when she was three years old.
That being said, I do love my Morgan 🙂 Lucky you to be choosing your first horse!

·
Registered
Puka a Mangalarga Marchador Filly
8 Posts
You could look around for an Ara-Appaloosa! Could find the elegance of the Arabians with the spotting of the Appys ❤ Had I not gotten Puka an Appaloosa was probably my second pick in breed preference.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Breed should matter very little in your decision since you aren't showing in breed shows. Yes, some breeds tend to produce better horses for certain events, but don't discount the off breeds, especially if you are showing in lower levels. You can pick up a fun colored QH with a spitfire attitude and a million dollar jump for cheaper than a fancy warmblood and they'll probably be an easier ride too.

On the topic of WBs, you cant really limit yourself by saying you only want a KWPN. Because of how the studbooks work, most of the major registries have a lot of overlap in qualities. You should be looking at the bloodlines to determine what the horse is suitable for, not the registry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it’s best to look for a horse that can do what you want it to do. If it’s a super colour, then that is a bonus. I have always admired solid coloured horses, but when I met my black and white tobiano TWH, it was love at she first sight. Her sweet, willing personality made up for her colour. Who knew? She is my heart horse. Good luck and have fun with your search.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
What is your riding goals? What level are you riding currently? Get a horse that can help you learn and keep you safe. That may or not be the breed you want.

Arabians(and I love them- truly! Crabbet, old Polish and Russian bred Arabs could get you higher because their conformation often is more sport type) and the stock type appy’s conformation will often get in their way with the higher levels but most horses can do entry level eventing if is your goal. But they may have a level cap eventually.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For your first horse (especially if you will be competing with it in a high-risk sport such as eventing) you should be working with a trainer to find a suitable horse for your level of riding.

In the US, I know their are some sport horse breeders that specialize in warmbloods with color, but I wouldn't prioritize something like color for your first horse, IMO.

Pretty much any horse can do low-level eventing (training level, sometimes preliminary, and below). It takes a special horse to be an upper-level eventing partner. Limiting your search to 3 breeds will give you very few options of proven horses, that are first-time owner safe (especially if you are more of a beginner rider, you did not indicate in your post), especially if you want an upper-level prospect.

·
Super Moderator
14,518 Posts
You don't look at breed, nor papers nor gender...
You look at ability and meeting your needs first and foremost.
You don't look at color either...
You need to find a partner no matter the breed, sex, or color who can do the job you are capable of and a bit more so you have room to grow together.
Add in your finances you must live with and that is what you go looking for...the rest is icing on the cake.
🐴...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi !
Within years (14+) of dealing with horses I really recommend going with a Dutch Warmblood . DW are typically calmer and beautiful movers! The only reason I do not promote getting an Arabian as a first horse is just because some of them can be a bit more on the energetic side and can be difficult to handle (let alone the cost of them). Appaloosas are beautiful but can have poor eyesight especially at night. In no way am I breed shaming , I’m just stating my experiences with these horses 😁
I would also look into Thoroughbreds- you can find some nice ones for a good price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My mom had an Arab Appaloosa. She was beautiful, a flea-bitten gray. She had an amazing temperament too!

·
Registered
49,332 Posts
Sometimes, it's not the horse you want, it's the horse you need.
Isn't that a Rolling Stones song?

So, yeah. Get the horse that your trainer thinks is best for you. Don't buy a horse without a knowledgeable person going with you. Get one that is sound and will stay sound. (if at all possible)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I love my big shiny bay! 24 year old warmblood (Oldenburg). She's sensible and athletic, and despite her age, still going strong!

I’ve always loved bays. Angelina has the most beautiful shiny red coat in the summer and is “dressed up” with a white star and rear sock. She also dapples from the sunshine which I think looks cute 🙂

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think it’s best to look for a horse that can do what you want it to do. If it’s a super colour, then that is a bonus. I have always admired solid coloured horses, but when I met my black and white tobiano TWH, it was love at she first sight. Her sweet, willing personality made up for her colour. Who knew? She is my heart horse. Good luck and have fun with your search.
I agree that one often ends up with the horse he/she isn’t looking for. I had my heart set on a Haflinger but when I tried out my Morgan it was love at first ride 🙂

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree that one often ends up with the horse he/she isn’t looking for. I had my heart set on a Haflinger but when I tried out my Morgan it was love at first ride 🙂
So true! I think the phrase “horses for courses” is pretty apt when it come to actually getting a horse. After my TB passed, I was sure my next horse would be an 18 hand warmblood because jumping, yay! But somehow, I ended up leasing a Morgan/Quarter mare and going for trail rides instead, lost the ease and was so desperate to ride I started searching for a horse … any horse. And a Haflinger fell into my lap. And now I can’t imagine what the world is like without him.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts

So, yeah. Get the horse that your trainer thinks is best for you. Don't buy a horse without a knowledgeable person going with you. Get one that is sound and will stay sound. (if at all possible)
Lol, simil

Similar words but different. The Stones is "You can't always get want you, but if you try

Similar words but not the same. The Stones "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes, well, you just might get what need. My quote is from a beautiful photography book about rescued horses in BC. I have been honored to create horse hair jewelry for one of horses featured and donated my services for the remainder of the hair to raise funds for BCSPCA horse rescue division.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never ever buy a horse by the color or how they look. Ride them and the decide. Ride with your head, make sound judgement on how the horse performs not how pretty the horse might be. there is a lot og pretty, bad horses out there don't get stuck with someone else's problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts