The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a problem and I would like to hear your thoughts about it.
So, my 12yr old mare, always had travelling issues. When she went to her very first show at the age of 4, she travelled in a lorry with 5 other horses. Upon arrival, she had a wound on her left flank. She still has the scar. My trainer said that her issues were caused by her entering in season when she was about to be transported. To prevent further injuries, she started travelling alone. The trips were smooth but once she got in her stall at the show, she would almost rip her tail off from rubbing against the wall.
Once, when we had to travel for my exam to obtain my competition license, she travelled fine in a trailer with another horse.
In December, we went to a show. She went on a trailer with another horse. First trip went smoothly. She got back home on Sunday afternoon. By Monday morning, as my trainer took her blankets out, she had a massive wound on the same exact location
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sky Motor vehicle

of her first wound. It's now looking much better but there's still a long way to go.
Right now, I feel confused and sad, because there is a show next month that I really wanted to go. But, I am not willing to risk another injury, specially in her current one is not fully healed.
What do you guys think?

Super Moderator
I have never heard because a horse is going in season they are more prone to hurting themself....:unsure: being witchy and sore yes, but not causing a sore like that to their skin.
Worked with mares, transported mares, groomed and showed mares and never have I heard that comment.:cautious:
I wonder if the trailer she rode on first time was not designed to carry 5 animals and they squashed her in putting her in a position of being bumped against and around by other animals...馃槙

I can't really tell from your picture exactly where on her body this is...but is this a pressure point wound?
One she gets from leaning heavily on the side of the trailer or lorry?
Not all horses do well balancing in a moving vehicle, so they lean...

Since it is the same side and location as the first wound, what side/position on the trailer is she riding with that wound against?
I would reverse the side she stands on...so if a 2 horse trailer, and she has stood left side stall...move her to the right side and see if the issue is corrected.
I would also make sure the stall or area she stands in she has enough room to spread her hind legs enough to balance her body while in motion.
Placement in a moving vehicle can mean a lot to some horses from their balance position under motion..
That is some pretty raw tissue...watch closely for best healing and not proud flesh as you have some granulation it appears already started.
馃惔.... jmo...

Registered
Horse loving mama
Looks like to me she was shaved to close and she got razor burn and the blanket cause friction with the rubbing and cause what you are seeing, I would leave that blanket off and use a light sheet if and when needed.
Poor thing that looks like it hurts to the touch and the blanket causing friction against that razor burn just not helping matters any.

Registered
What clipper blade is being used to clip her?

It looks like the hair is way too short... I use a #10 blade for body clipping all over and I never see skin through the hair.

You say she's been itching at shows... What is different before she starts itching? Did you wash the blankets with a new detergent? Did you change the clipper blade oil to something different? Did you wash her off after clipping her? Is her skin especially dry with the weather?

Something is causing the itching, but itching shouldn't create that big of a wound... Hair is protective to a point, and depending on what clipper blade was used, it looks like she was cut too short.

Reactions: Kalraii

Super Moderator
My Salty Pony and ClearDonkey are both onto something pertinent...(y)

If she was clipped and that is her. and its been already growing out...way to short a clip blade was used.
I don't even like #10...to short for many a animal.
I use what is equivalent to a #7 or if the horse is pink skinned, or a combination of light and dark pigment seen like your horse has... #5.
To me, your horse may be sunburning with such a short coat too.
Her coat is razor stubble in length...razor stubble itches awful on many when it starts to grow-in...
That fleece sheet/cooler is a irritant to her skin since she was clipped.
I would look for a fully lined sheet, with nylon lining as it often can soothe a irritated skin condition with "slick"...

If this is already grown out some either a surgical blade of a #50 or a #40 was used....the word surgical prep is key...o_O
Shave and remove to skin...
Ever see a person who just had surgery and was shaved for it....yup, that is what I think now looking close at your picture happened.:eek:

Somebody goofed and your horse it seems has paid the price 2x since you say she has a scar and you owned her the first time this occurred too...
Thankfully hair will regrow, but some extra care while that is occurring is needed...
A show in a months time she should be recovered enough to just have a small mark...and no more clipping her with whatever was used... :confused:

For future clips you need to make sure a appropriate blade with longer hair length left behind is used for the job...
Poor girl...be vigilant and get that fleece thing off her sore as it is making it worse.
馃惔.... jmo...

Registered
First, she is clipped too short. The blades were dull (clipper tracks), and she may not have been clean down to the skin. It looks like she rubbed and leaned against the walls of the lorry. Has she had her udders cleaned regularly? I have a mare who will destroy her tail if her udders are dirty, she'll rub until there's no hair left.

Ditto watching for granulation tissue (proud flesh) and need to keep that area really clean. No blanket. I, personally, wouldn't even use a sheet until you've gotten some regrowth of tissue in the area.

Registered
Im wondering if there are chemicals on the blankets that might be reacting with her skin? Or maybe a bug in the blankets? When was last time they were washed and disinfected?

Or maybe its an infection? In which case it will get bigger by itself if left untreated.

Sunlight is a great healer too - the UV from the sun will also disinfect the skin surface.

Another tool might be a game/trail camera put in her stall or transport trailer during the day, to capture whats going on over a 24 hour period?

Banned
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello! I have a problem and I would like to hear your thoughts about it.
So, my 12yr old mare, always had travelling issues. When she went to her very first show at the age of 4, she travelled in a lorry with 5 other horses. Upon arrival, she had a wound on her left flank. She still has the scar. My trainer said that her issues were caused by her entering in season when she was about to be transported. To prevent further injuries, she started travelling alone. The trips were smooth but once she got in her stall at the show, she would almost rip her tail off from rubbing against the wall.
Once, when we had to travel for my exam to obtain my competition license, she travelled fine in a trailer with another horse.
In December, we went to a show. She went on a trailer with another horse. First trip went smoothly. She got back home on Sunday afternoon. By Monday morning, as my trainer took her blankets out, she had a massive wound on the same exact location View attachment 1123622
of her first wound. It's now looking much better but there's still a long way to go.
Right now, I feel confused and sad, because there is a show next month that I really wanted to go. But, I am not willing to risk another injury, specially in her current one is not fully healed.
What do you guys think?
I have never heard because a horse is going in season they are more prone to hurting themself....:unsure: being witchy and sore yes, but not causing a sore like that to their skin.
Worked with mares, transported mares, groomed and showed mares and never have I heard that comment.:cautious:
I wonder if the trailer she rode on first time was not designed to carry 5 animals and they squashed her in putting her in a position of being bumped against and around by other animals...馃槙

I can't really tell from your picture exactly where on her body this is...but is this a pressure point wound?
One she gets from leaning heavily on the side of the trailer or lorry?
Not all horses do well balancing in a moving vehicle, so they lean...

Since it is the same side and location as the first wound, what side/position on the trailer is she riding with that wound against?
I would reverse the side she stands on...so if a 2 horse trailer, and she has stood left side stall...move her to the right side and see if the issue is corrected.
I would also make sure the stall or area she stands in she has enough room to spread her hind legs enough to balance her body while in motion.
Placement in a moving vehicle can mean a lot to some horses from their balance position under motion..
That is some pretty raw tissue...watch closely for best healing and not proud flesh as you have some granulation it appears already started.
馃惔.... jmo...
Thank you for answering! I don't know the type of vehicle she travelled the first time she got injured, I don't know if she had enough space. This time she travelled with her left side, where she is injured facing the bar that separates the horses of the trailer. The trailer has more than enough room for her to spread her legs. Yes, there is a pressure point because she re opened the first wound that was already scarred. The wound in on This photo is old, she is now growing healthy cells and recovering!
The injury is a little behind of the point of the hip.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im wondering if there are chemicals on the blankets that might be reacting with her skin? Or maybe a bug in the blankets? When was last time they were washed and disinfected?

Or maybe its an infection? In which case it will get bigger by itself if left untreated.

Sunlight is a great healer too - the UV from the sun will also disinfect the skin surface.

Another tool might be a game/trail camera put in her stall or transport trailer during the day, to capture whats going on over a 24 hour period?

Thank you for answering! My blankets are washed with a special detergent for blankets. No, it is not an infection and I am treating her, desinfecting the wound, apply a special cream and she got antibiotics and pain killers.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like to me she was shaved to close and she got razor burn and the blanket cause friction with the rubbing and cause what you are seeing, I would leave that blanket off and use a light sheet if and when needed.
Poor thing that looks like it hurts to the touch and the blanket causing friction against that razor burn just not helping matters any.
It's not the case. She was clipped 2 days before the show and there was no razor burn. I can't take her blanket off, nor use a light sheet, it is very cold. What I do is go there at lunchtime, take her blanket off and go for a hand walk with her so can graze and be without the blanket

Banned
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What clipper blade is being used to clip her?

It looks like the hair is way too short... I use a #10 blade for body clipping all over and I never see skin through the hair.

You say she's been itching at shows... What is different before she starts itching? Did you wash the blankets with a new detergent? Did you change the clipper blade oil to something different? Did you wash her off after clipping her? Is her skin especially dry with the weather?

Something is causing the itching, but itching shouldn't create that big of a wound... Hair is protective to a point, and depending on what clipper blade was used, it looks like she was cut too short.
Thank you for answering! The blade is the same size of yours. Her skin is not dry, I washed her to remove the oils from the blades. She itches at shows only when she gets out of the trailer. Then she stops. I haven't changed anything, her blankets are always cleaned with a special detergent. This was not caused by itching, it is a burn from friction.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Salty Pony and ClearDonkey are both onto something pertinent...(y)

If she was clipped and that is her. and its been already growing out...way to short a clip blade was used.
I don't even like #10...to short for many a animal.
I use what is equivalent to a #7 or if the horse is pink skinned, or a combination of light and dark pigment seen like your horse has... #5.
To me, your horse may be sunburning with such a short coat too.
Her coat is razor stubble in length...razor stubble itches awful on many when it starts to grow-in...
That fleece sheet/cooler is a irritant to her skin since she was clipped.
I would look for a fully lined sheet, with nylon lining as it often can soothe a irritated skin condition with "slick"...

If this is already grown out some either a surgical blade of a #50 or a #40 was used....the word surgical prep is key...o_O
Shave and remove to skin...
Ever see a person who just had surgery and was shaved for it....yup, that is what I think now looking close at your picture happened.:eek:

Somebody goofed and your horse it seems has paid the price 2x since you say she has a scar and you owned her the first time this occurred too...
Thankfully hair will regrow, but some extra care while that is occurring is needed...
A show in a months time she should be recovered enough to just have a small mark...and no more clipping her with whatever was used... :confused:

For future clips you need to make sure a appropriate blade with longer hair length left behind is used for the job...
Poor girl...be vigilant and get that fleece thing off her sore as it is making it worse.
馃惔.... jmo...
Thank you for answering! No, I used a 10 blade. It doesn't matter the size of the blade, she always looks like this even if I used a blad that doesn't cut that much. She wasn't mine when she first injured herself! The show on 19th of December, small mark, with a wound of that size? I've seenany injuries like this and they do not fully heal in just a month. She is being taken care of closely, with the help of a vet.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, she is clipped too short. The blades were dull (clipper tracks), and she may not have been clean down to the skin. It looks like she rubbed and leaned against the walls of the lorry. Has she had her udders cleaned regularly? I have a mare who will destroy her tail if her udders are dirty, she'll rub until there's no hair left.

Ditto watching for granulation tissue (proud flesh) and need to keep that area really clean. No blanket. I, personally, wouldn't even use a sheet until you've gotten some regrowth of tissue in the area.
Thank you for answering! The blades were not dull, she has clipper marks because I don't have a lot of practice in clipping. She is being taken care of everyday, with the help of a vet. Ideally I would leave her without a blanket, but it's very cold now. She would freeze.

Super Moderator
I can't take her blanket off, nor use a light sheet, it is very cold.
You could though try something similar to this, if not this...
Horse Ecoregion Nature Working animal Sky

This is called a full-body sleezy....cost varies but about $50
Read the reviews of people who bought it and why they bought it...
It isn't that the horse wears a blanket...but if what was seen in your picture is your blanket, that kind of fleece does not slide it sticks and grips...so yes, you are going to get rubs if the horse wears that in many areas on the body...
A smooth layer of silky material allows the top blanket to glide not rub against when a sleezy is put on...
Your horse is going to continually have this sore re-appear, re-open cause you have compromised the skin and flesh in that area forever...
You must address that friction situation somehow...
New blanket/sheet or find a sleezy and offer the horse some full body protection under blanket/sheet worn or seriously consider replacing what you have cause guess what it is going to do again and again... These also can come that the only part of the horse you see is eyes...you can cover that much of the animal if you wish or not.
But for me...a sleezy would be the cheap way of assisting the fix.
馃惔...

Registered
Do you think the tail rubbing could be due to anxiety/stress?
My sister in law's Arabian mare started rubbing her tail after her other horse went to the trainer.
After checking out other possibilities (udder, parasites) which didn't seem likely I figured it was boredom.....but after thinking about it and her temperament (she has a tendency to stall walk, weave and swing her head in a circle when stalled) I thought it may have been anxiety/stress (her stall was left open so she could come and go as she pleased...she would go into the stall and rub her tai on the edge of the back doorway) Once my pony got there she hasn't done it since.

Banned
Do you think the tail rubbing could be due to anxiety/stress?
My sister in law's Arabian mare started rubbing her tail after her other horse went to the trainer.
After checking out other possibilities (udder, parasites) which didn't seem likely I figured it was boredom.....but after thinking about it and her temperament (she has a tendency to stall walk, weave and swing her head in a circle when stalled) I thought it may have been anxiety/stress (her stall was left open so she could come and go as she pleased...she would go into the stall and rub her tai on the edge of the back doorway) Once my pony got there she hasn't done it since.
thats interesting, my rescue dog used to chew his back until it was raw as a nervous thing, when we left he'd chew, if the door was shut he'd chew, it took him a while to get over

Banned
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could though try something similar to this, if not this...
View attachment 1123718
This is called a full-body sleezy....cost varies but about $50
Read the reviews of people who bought it and why they bought it...
It isn't that the horse wears a blanket...but if what was seen in your picture is your blanket, that kind of fleece does not slide it sticks and grips...so yes, you are going to get rubs if the horse wears that in many areas on the body...
A smooth layer of silky material allows the top blanket to glide not rub against when a sleezy is put on...
Your horse is going to continually have this sore re-appear, re-open cause you have compromised the skin and flesh in that area forever...
You must address that friction situation somehow...
New blanket/sheet or find a sleezy and offer the horse some full body protection under blanket/sheet worn or seriously consider replacing what you have cause guess what it is going to do again and again... These also can come that the only part of the horse you see is eyes...you can cover that much of the animal if you wish or not.
But for me...a sleezy would be the cheap way of assisting the fix.
馃惔...
Thank you for answering! The blanket you see in the picture is not the blanket she travelled with. She actually travelled with a sleepy and a light sheet. She managed to rip them both.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts