Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I am not being lazy. I have tried. I mean really tried. I don't know what to feed my horse.

I just bought a bag of lite feed Integrity at the advice of the feed store counter guy.
The 4th or 5th ingredient I think, is Molasses. The sales man swore it didn't have any in it. He lied and I didn't check. Last bag was the LMF low starch, but I didn't feed at the recommended 10lbs a day. Before that it was Bermuda pellets. I add supplements but am now afraid that She will be getting to much Selenium or Vitamin E, as she lives in CA and I have been told the Selenium content and vit E are high in the soil in CA.

What she had been eating is 24/7 access to Bermuda hay. Legacy Pellets with Glucosamine, Yucca, MSM. I was giving her ground flax daily, probiotics, electrolytes, salt block, and Aloe Vera juice. I recently stopped the ground flax and the Aloe Vera Juice when she had a couple of days of loose stools.

She is 20 years old and a bit overweight. She is prone to getting colic and laminitis type flare ups. She does have ulcers. She has loose stools with diet change. She has 24/7 access to Bermuda Hay. Her work load is very light, and she has arthritis. She lives in Southern California. When giving her pelleted feed I always soak it with allot of water so she has to drink it. I also give her Biotin Hoof supplement.

If I have to buy another type of feed in the morning I will.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
It depends on what brands available in your area. I would talk with the brand's feed reps and see what they have to offer. Switching feeds often will not be good for your horse. My sister lived in Cali for awhile and her horse was aged and prone to laminitis. He was on oat hay, no other stuff, and did very well. I know Purina makes a feed for laminitic horses and it's called Wellsolve, but it is pricey.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I like senior feed because it has extra oils the old horses need and biotin. It is a pretty safe feed as horses can live on it solely. If your mare is overweight, try using a small mesh hay net. It improves digestion and she will do better on less hay. Or the same amount of hay will last longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with LHP. You don't really need to over do this. Quality hay that is mostly grass, and perhaps a good Vit/ min package. I like the Grostrong Minerals from ADM. The hay net suggestion is a good one also, that can help mitigate the ulcer issue by keeping something in the stomach a large percentage of the time. I have also had good result on mild ulcer cases with Redmond daily red. good luck

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Why are you giving her so much stuff if she's an easy keeper and light work only? Free choice, quality hay, alfafa is good for ulcers, mineral supplement, salt and water. Keep it simple.

Remember any food with grain products in it is hard on ulcers as well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the delay. I thought she needed additional vitamins etc beyond what hay gives. I went ahead and got the LOG that she was eating before. She has ulcers and will colic at the drop of a hat. So now it is Legacy joint supplement biotin electrolytes and probiotics. I am going to start reducing the LMF to just a scoop a day. The bag says to feed 5lbs a day.

I used to give flax meal but saw there is iron in it and don't want her getting to much. She has bad hooves and thinning mane and tail. That is why I used to give flax. The joint supplements are for arthritis. She can't have Bute or previcox because of the ulcers. She is turned out 24/7 alone with neighbor horses in a 150'×250' dry lot with sparse weed grass. She has a salt block and 150gallon auto waters and it is kept very clean.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so you I will start cutting way back on pellets feed.She has a slow feeder net. Thank you

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I would still ditch any extra food supplements beyond the hay. Nutritional and medication as needed, of course, but you don't need any form of processed food for her, whether it's this LMF stuff or any form of pellets. Get her free choice minerals and she will take what she needs.

Especially with ulcers, you want to keep the diet as simple as possible. With other things going on, all the more reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.