The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first horse almost a year ago in May. He was 2 weeks old when I picked him out. He's going to be 9 months old tomorrow and I haven't seen his boys. So then I read that you can try feeling for them. No luck there either... I just tried finding them a few minutes ago outside.

I heard from friends of mine that you can geld as early as 6 months, and that was always my plan. Except that I'm in alberta and its freezing cold right now. But Theres no rush because the neighbour horses he has contact with are all geldings. and hes my only horse.

But I'm getting concerned that I havent seen them yet? I also have to send him to another farm this fall to be horse sat while I go to nova scotia to visit family. So i definitely need to address it before that.

So my question is...how unusual or usual is this? Should i assume that by now theyre not going to drop on their own?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have seen some colts not drop till they are 18 months old. Its not uncommon. They dont all drop soon after they are weaned. Give him a little time. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
It is normal, but have a vet look at him from time to time when he grows up. Nothing to worry about at 9 months, just ask a vet when you should start worrying.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
some are later to drop like 18mths mentioned. I had 2 late to drop.one thing i did note with them is sometimes I could find one when they were lying down:wink:.

Vet always said if they had 2 down at birth they will still be there:lol: just hiding.
My one gelding I waited till about 14-16mths still nothing visible but remembered what he had said & knew this colt had 2 when born:D so hope that held true:) Took him to geld & was prepared to do crypt surgery on him. Well vet examined him,Did some searching/digging & sure enough they were sucked way up & small:shock:. He was able to geld him normally:wink:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I gelded my boy last April at 10 months old. As far as I could tell there was nothing there, so I had the vet feel around when he came out to give him his vaccines. Sure enough, they were both there, just really small. After the vet took them out he showed them to me and they were about the size of ping pong balls. Poor guy was not well endowed in that department.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You still have some time for him to drop however if it goes on too much longer I would strongly suggest a vet check. I bought a 16 month old colt that I was pretty sure was a cryptorchid. I actually got a huge discount on his price when I pointed it out to the seller.
Just to be sure I called the vet out for a normal gelding appointment and he confirmed that he did have undescended testicle. A normal gelding would have cost me about $150.00 but I did have to trailer him to the vet clinic. It was a major overnight operation and cost me $600.00. After the gelding I had to give him antibiotic shots twice a day for 7 days. He really started dreading seeing me! :?
In training horses I have run across 2 client horses that were only partially gelded (the vet only took out 1 testicle) and these horses exhibited dangerous stallion behavior. Apparently there is at least 1 vet around here who is dishonest! These were both horses that were older-8 & 12 years old (one was a registered Paint gelding!). One owner quickly sold her horse to an unsuspecting buyer after lying to me about getting a blood test and the other went ahead with the operation. Her horse (the registered Paint)had a long hard time recovering from the surgery. If she had reported the breeder, I think he could have gotten in quite a bit of trouble with the APHA.
Guess my advice is too not wait too long to have him checked-when you have vaccinations done this spring, ask the vet to check and make your plans from there. My vet actually saved both testicles in a plastic bag after the operation to prove to me that both were out. The undescended one was half the size of the normal one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My horse is one of those that the vet only took out one =/ However I doubt his first owner was willing to pay to have the other removed, and doubt they'd have given the care needed afterwards. I just found out in the last three years and so far haven't felt the need to do anything about it. If you let him, he can be a dick... However personally I have no issues controlling him. At least after I took him completly back to basics the first time I bought him. And again after coming back from the trainer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone! I feel less worried now. I'll probably have the vet out to vaccinate anyways, and if he can find them, then i'll get the gelding done too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had this one colt that never dropped, and yes im sure he wasnt a mare. He ended up dieing and we are 95% sure that had something to do with it..... he was very intelligent and probably one of our best horses. he died when he was like 3 and never had any "studdy" features...... it was almost like he was born as a gelding.... i miss him alot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.