The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a project horse this year, hopefully this month, to train up (english disciplines, just a good base so he could be finished and shown in his new home as maybe a show hunter, dressage horse, eventer, showjumper, etc.) over the summer. I was originally planning on a large pony OTHER THAN a Haflinger, only because we already have 3 Haffies. They are awesome horses, but I kind of want to work with something different (and a different color, perhaps?:p ), but I keep finding these poor greenie Haffies stuck with complete ignoramouses and I feels soo sorry for them. I just want to hug them and show them the world isn't so cruel after all. :( Just today, I found this little fellow:
Sorrel haflinger gelding for sale in Germansville, Pennsylvania :: HorseClicks
We looked at some horses at this place, Venture Farms, while looking for a horse for a friend last year, and I was disgusted. All the horse are skinny, the "trainer" was rough-handed and a terrible rider (we both rode better than her; we're 15), and all the horses just looked sad and utterly confused. I was in love with a flashy palomino mare they had, but unfortunately she didn't fit my friend's criteria. I'm rambling. Basically, when I saw this guy, I just really wanted to get him out of there. I felt like telling someone. What do you think of him? What might you do in my situation? I think I need some more sensible people; when it comes to potential horses, I tend to be WAY too optimistic about them (I'm sure he'd make a wondeful hunter! We just need to work around the fact that he only has 3 legs!).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I'm going to look into him further. He's just the sort of horse I had in mind, sort of a diamond in the rough, and I always say that color/breed should not stop someone from getting a horse otherwise perfect for them. I'll let this thread know what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaand, we called about him and set up a visit. We called back a few days later, and that morning, she had loaded him on a trailer and sold him to a family up in New York without even telling us. Soo, that wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
^^^^
This or the other people showed up cash in hand. Horses are usually sold on a first come with cash first sold basis. The seller had no reason to hold the horse because you might want it when they had someone there who definitely did.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
992 Posts
I know that seller personally, my grandmother has gotten a couple of real nice diamonds in the rough from her. Her old stallion Go Wampum Cash had very nice babies, but since he's passed she breeds her boys to everything with a uterus.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Hug them and show them the world isn't cruel....

Call me crazy but that boy isn't skinny, doesn't look sad and confused, the riders not being overly ham handed.... nor do I see abuse/cruelty/ neglect there....

What everybody else said. She wouldn't have to tel you if she sold the horse just because you were interested in him. Its a busimess for her, some sales can be time sensitive. Maybe the family only had so much time and had money in hand.

I personally would go with the guaranteed sale than the maybe interested party.

Just stay positive. The right project will be out there

·
Registered
992 Posts
The seller goes to New Holland almost every Monday and pulls anywhere from three to five horses. She also goes to other sales, works with other dealers, etc. While I do not under any circumstances support her breeding practices, she does usually find good homes for the horses she buys, and quickly too. Two of the horses we have gotten from her that my grandmother sold made it to our 4h States this year in Harrisburg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.