The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else just having a bit of a crap month so far? Can we commiserate?

First, right on the last day of January, I fell off my horse due to a giant mystery spook that was seemingly unprovoked. Then, my next two visits, I couldn't ride because snow was CRASHING off the arena roof as it melted and fell, and would have spooked the most bombproof of horses. But of course I didn't know that I couldn't ride until I'd already driven 40 minutes to get there, both times. And on the next visit, while I did finally have a decent ride, I got stuck in the driveway and had to dig myself out.

Since then, I have spent four days avoiding the barn because it has been total snowmageddon and there was no way in or out of there. Went today, and while everything was fine-ish to start, my partner called me, having a full fledged actual panic attack (from really bad S.A.D.), literally right before I was about to swing my leg up to get on my horse. He told me to go ahead and have my ride, and he would be okay, but I decided to just ride for a few minutes and then zip back home (he was going to call his family in the meantime). But then I was so distracted and tense that it was throwing Elle off -- plus I was trying out a different saddle (a close contact, when I always ride in a dressage saddle) so everything felt weird and precarious anyhow -- so I gave it up immediately and left.

Plus, this is the time of year -- and I have been noticing it, though not as badly this time around as last year at least -- that Elle just gets totally fed up with being ridden in the indoor. It's small, with deep, uneven footing, and she doesn't like the way sound carries in there, and gets bored, and starts overreacting to outside stimulus while simultaneously getting less forward and really phoning in the work. The good news is that she immediately perks up once we're able to ride outside. The bad news is... the absolute earliest that will happen is late April.

Meanwhile my business is still shut down with the lockdown in my area. It's fine -- for now -- as we're normally closed this time of year, but it does mean that $$ is tight until things get rolling again. Oh! Also one of my best friends is going through a surprise separation. Another best friend is having absolute and total work burnout. And with everything happening, there's only so much I can do to be there for them. Aaand my left hip is giving me lots of aches and pains lately, which I think is piriformis strain from too many long walks. The long walks I was going on to try to get fitter, and to relieve some stress. Grrrrrrrr.

I hate February!!!!! How's yours? Is it awful? Please do tell!

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I haven't ridden in three weeks. I climbed on Rileys back and sat on him while he ate dinner one day.... My place is an absolute slop hole. Part of my ring caved into a sinkhole so we have to fix that if it ever dries enough. There is a snow storm coming in tomorrow supposedly - either way it's more wet stuff.

My Pig-pig died and my cat pee'd on me....

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
All I've done so far in February is shovel snow, break frozen horse poop out of ice, blanket unblanket blanket, haul hay out to the pastures on a sled, break ice out of the stock tank with a sledge hammer and fish out the chunks with a (clean) manure fork. And right now it is .... snowing.

Sometimes I get the horses out and groom them. I am hoping to get on my horse and thrash around in the 2 feet of snow tomorrow though. Might happen.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
@farmpony84 : so sorry to hear about your pig.

I am over winter and February has been the worst.

First we got 2' feet of snow. That is more than we had the last 3 winters put together. Got done digging out from that and got a couple days of riding before the weather got ugly again. We had another small storm with snow, but the temp went up just enough to start everything melting, then plummeted as the next polar vortex arrived. Meaning now everything is ice, including a nasty crust on all the snow. I didn't want to ride anyway.

We got another small storm today, adding 3" of snow to hide where the patches of ice are and insulating the nasty crust. Another PITA storm is coming Thursday, then a more serious one for the weekend. That one is currently forecast to be ice.. shiitake. 🤬

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Our winter wasn't to bad hardly any below zero even through January. Was mild a lot of 30 degree days. February comes along an the polar vortex invades with frigid temps.

We haven't had above zero now in a week -6 warmest day was - 3. Wind chill has been an issue now for literally days.. 50 below wind chill over weekend.

No relief in sight bitter cold makes doing chores difficult at best. Simple things like filling water trough isn't so simple. Dragging out 175 feet of horses from basement. Then getting them hooked up an water running before hoses freeze up.

I'm so sick of the cold freezing my fingers off putting out hay. Farrier came today and my hands were so cold they hurt. Gloves seem useless.

Haven't been able to ride to darn cold. Doesn't matter how many layers you wear. The cold penetrates the layers of jackets, sweat shirts an thermal under shirts, a matter of 10 minutes being outside.

My outdoor animals are now in the house the cold got the best of them. My horse is struggling to stay warm he shivers almost nightly. Hay none stop but the wind penetrates after days of it none stop, plus subzero temps.

I'm so over winter right now time to warm up already!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Winter never slows down my riding and I don't have an indoor. But this January and February have sucked. Every time I get on Rusty, he's unhappy. The ulcer treatments aren't working. He hates me now, because all I ever do is chase him around with a syringe to get the omeprazole and sucralfate into him. I just bought a gorgeous Sensation treeless saddle and have only been able to sit in it about twice. Rusty's miserable, so I'm miserable.

I have had it with this pandemic. My kids are cranky and fed up. No one is happy around me right now. We need spring, but it won't come here until at least April.

Sorry you're having a bad time @SteadyOn.

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
I haven't ridden in three weeks. I climbed on Rileys back and sat on him while he ate dinner one day.... My place is an absolute slop hole. Part of my ring caved into a sinkhole so we have to fix that if it ever dries enough. There is a snow storm coming in tomorrow supposedly - either way it's more wet stuff.

My Pig-pig died and my cat pee'd on me....

That did it! That put me over the edge. You get the medal for worst February.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
@SteadyOn Oh my gosh that's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear all of that! Hopefully your month starts to pick up!

@farmpony84 NO!!! Not pig-pig!!

@phantomhorse13 ugh! Ice is the worst!

@rambo99 I am also, so over the cold. Freezing hoses are a pain!

@Acadianartist sorry to hear the ulcer treatment isn't working :( Hopefully you can spend some time just chilling eith him, and mabye get to ride in your new saddle more often!

@tinyliny totally agree...

Compared to the rest of your February's, mine is going pretty good. I too am so insanely over with winter and cold. Should have been gone after Christmas...I was trying to work with the donkeys, but it was just so freaking cold, I almost froze my fingers off when I took my gloves off. I did get a new coat that I'm in love with though, and it's super warm! I am also hoping it'll warm up! Farrier is supposed to be out end of the week if it warms up a bit! It's just been too cold. Today was -24, but with the windchill it felt more like -34. Ugh. I'm supposed to be riding tomorrow which I'm stoked about, but it'll be outside on a trail ride...in my cowboy boots cause I don't have any other boots...that's gonna be cold...

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Compared to the rest of your February's, mine is going pretty good. I too am so insanely over with winter and cold. Should have been gone after Christmas...I was trying to work with the donkeys, but it was just so freaking cold, I almost froze my fingers off when I took my gloves off. I did get a new coat that I'm in love with though, and it's super warm! I am also hoping it'll warm up! Farrier is supposed to be out end of the week if it warms up a bit! It's just been too cold. Today was -24, but with the windchill it felt more like -34. Ugh. I'm supposed to be riding tomorrow which I'm stoked about, but it'll be outside on a trail ride...in my cowboy boots cause I don't have any other boots...that's gonna be cold...
Wow, I thought I was tough... you are riding in cowboy boots in -20 weather? My hero! Wish I could go out on trails. It's the only thing that makes Rusty happy. Hubby tried to groom a trail with the snowmobile, but the horses are busting through so we had to turn back. Serious crust on top of a foot or so of snow. I mean, we can't complain here in the Maritimes, we've had a really mild winter with almost no snow. I haven't seen a winter like this in years. I should be out riding almost daily, but I hate to do that to Rusty.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
I never like February. It's already been a long winter and we can get snow, any month of the year, but definitely into April.

It's very cold right now. Even our highs are below zero farenheit. The horses are turned out for a couple months. We see them twice daily, though. I won't even brush them in case the dust provides insulation!

I'll start perking up again in March.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Wow, I thought I was tough... you are riding in cowboy boots in -20 weather? My hero! Wish I could go out on trails. It's the only thing that makes Rusty happy. Hubby tried to groom a trail with the snowmobile, but the horses are busting through so we had to turn back. Serious crust on top of a foot or so of snow. I mean, we can't complain here in the Maritimes, we've had a really mild winter with almost no snow. I haven't seen a winter like this in years. I should be out riding almost daily, but I hate to do that to Rusty.
Yep. I rode last week in them at bout negative 20 and this week will be even colder. I'm not excited for that lol. But I mean, if I get to ride, I'll do it. I can deal with frozen feet.
Could you just take Rusty out on the road?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Yep. I rode last week in them at bout negative 20 and this week will be even colder. I'm not excited for that lol. But I mean, if I get to ride, I'll do it. I can deal with frozen feet.
Could you just take Rusty out on the road?
I might have to start trying for little stretches, like from the barn driveway to the house driveway. There are a couple of problems with riding on the road. First, we are near the top of a long hill and there are big logging trucks that barrel down at very high speeds, and no shoulder to speak of. It's even worse in winter because there is snow lining the edge of the road, so nowhere to go. Second, there are two mares that moved in across the road from us and Rusty is fascinated with them. I worry that if I take him out on the road, he'll decide to go over for a visit, and I won't be able to stop him. I still don't feel like I have quite enough trust in him to be 100% confident that he'll listen to me, though I'm getting close. I could try riding out early on Sunday morning when the traffic is at its quietest.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
Even the calendar goes must have hated February to make it shorter than all other months.

Usually we don't see the crazies come out in the kids until full moon. I swear there has been a full moon every night so far this month. Between rehab and new injuries the animals are taking up time normally devoted to other pursuits.

But, I have gotten ride time in. Even though the weather is wet nasty and dips too cold it isn't an every day. The swings though get to me.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
I might have to start trying for little stretches, like from the barn driveway to the house driveway. There are a couple of problems with riding on the road. First, we are near the top of a long hill and there are big logging trucks that barrel down at very high speeds, and no shoulder to speak of. It's even worse in winter because there is snow lining the edge of the road, so nowhere to go. Second, there are two mares that moved in across the road from us and Rusty is fascinated with them. I worry that if I take him out on the road, he'll decide to go over for a visit, and I won't be able to stop him. I still don't feel like I have quite enough trust in him to be 100% confident that he'll listen to me, though I'm getting close. I could try riding out early on Sunday morning when the traffic is at its quietest.
Ugh. That's annoying. That sounds like our road. No one looks out for anything and they just speed around the many corners on the road. It would be a great place to ride if it wasn't for that, so I'm not gonna get to ride on the road either :(
Personally, I think that if you could just get Rusty moving, he'd be better in the arena. Like, after a couple times down the driveway each day, he would begin to get used to being ridden, and would go more willingly in the arena, you know? At least that's how it is for the horses I ride. After 3 or 4 trail rides, they begin to get more energetic and willing, and will focus in the arena better.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Well I think all you guys win but ill share mine

It almost has been a year since our cat died.

I'm going STIR CRAZY, i had foot surgery a month ago and I'm sick and tired of the same 4 walls. I can't even get outside

I'm 99% sure that my mom wants me to stop ridding for the rest of my time under her roof 😓

The lease horse and barn search is going terrible SO all my dreams of being an eventer are slowly going away

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Okay...my month just got worse...
Brother and I went to milk the cow this morning. We still don't have a barn for her, so we're milking outside. Not fun. It was very cold today and the cow was a grump cause her udders were so swollen cause she wouldn't let us on her last night. But anyways, we got inside and dad told us the temperature...today it is -37, but it feels like -45, according to the weather channel, and I entirely agree. It's still better than last year though..we were lambing in -47. That was not fun.
I may end up wussing out today, and ride in my Muck boots... we'll see. The lady who owns the horses may end up cancelling due to the cold. Also might end up wearing a toque. If you know me at all, you will know I never wear a hat unless it is COLD. And today, may end up being one of those days...I just can't deal with the cold for much longer...I will literally freeze.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
February is a rough month, I can sympathize.
It's -30°C here this week, so that in itself sucks.

I am behind on orders (I have a small business) and I'm really struggling lately to turn out products that are the high quality that I expect from myself. I just spent 2 days avoiding an impending meltdown (history of not great mental health here, I can tell when things are about to get bad) and finally caved yesterday in the middle of a project I had re started 5 times. Spent the day between bed and the couch feeling sorry for myself.
I did finish it this morning while I was feeling good, not super happy with it but it's done.
I have a complicated order that was supposed to be done this week but I have doubts on if that's going to happen.

My horses are the least of my worries this month, they're all turned out and eating all the hay they want to stay warm.

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
Okay...my month just got worse...
Brother and I went to milk the cow this morning. We still don't have a barn for her, so we're milking outside. Not fun. It was very cold today and the cow was a grump cause her udders were so swollen cause she wouldn't let us on her last night. But anyways, we got inside and dad told us the temperature...today it is -37, but it feels like -45, according to the weather channel, and I entirely agree. It's still better than last year though..we were lambing in -47. That was not fun.
I may end up wussing out today, and ride in my Muck boots... we'll see. The lady who owns the horses may end up cancelling due to the cold. Also might end up wearing a toque. If you know me at all, you will know I never wear a hat unless it is COLD. And today, may end up being one of those days...I just can't deal with the cold for much longer...I will literally freeze.
Wow! I feel for you. Here in Idaho, the winters are always cold, but this year we have a ton of wind and no snow to make it better!!! :(

·
Read Only
591 Posts
People from cold places, please don't laugh, but cold to us is in the twenties. I prefer it when it's cold enough to freeze, actually, because the mud in the chicken coop is frozen and it doesn't smell like it usually does. The downside is that I have to take a hammer and/or hot water to their water.

I think TN is in the perfect middle. It doesn't get too super hot like Arizona and states out west, but still gets 90+, and in the winter it's mild with the temps with the highs in thirties and forties. Cold enough for people from Florida (you should see my cousins when it's in the 50s -- full winter coats, gloves, ear muffs...) to wear a jacket but warmer to people up North.

My month's been okay-ish. January was worse by far. I was supposed to have a lesson last weekend but my trainer got injured in a snow-boarding accident and forgot to tell us (pain meds make you loopy). So we ended up driving the almost-hour drive and she texted us that she wasn't able to come as she was on bed rest. I was very disappointed :( but it was understandable. I probably won't get a lesson this month.

Yesterday it was 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I finally got to go outside without a winter jacket. Today it's 50s and rainy, then it's supposed to get cold again and the high in the low thirties. I am not excited about that.

It's also been super stressful with family issues. It seems like there's a race to see who can kick the bucket first which is a horrible thing. My great-grandma, great-grandpa, and my grandma and my grandpa are all sick. First two won't last much longer. :(

In school it smelled like weed. Then they expelled kids for smoking it in the bathroom...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts