The Horse Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
even when my horses are ice covered and shivering they prefer to be outside. a little rain is not gonna kill him !

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
plus i also hate leaving him out there because, I know how bad he freaks out during a storm, he just doesn't like them. So why keep him out there and let him freak out and get himself all in a rut when I can put him in his stall and he's nice and comfortable.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i thought you said he would rather be out than in ???

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
what horse wouldn't want to be out in all seriousness but he doesn't like being out in rain/thunderstorms.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm another whose horse is out 24/7.

I've mentioned this before, but last month when the huge F4/F5 tornado ripped through our city my aunt took a video of the horses right in the midst of a terrible T-storm. They are all at the top of the pasture, as far away as they can get from the shelter, facing the rain, nearly asleep! :lol:

I do feel like you are stressing for no reason. If he has rain rot get a weatherproof sheet, stick it on him, and stick his butt in the pasture.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Then DON'T!

As for all these hearty and fearless horses that prefer to be out during blizzards, mudslides, dust storms, ice storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.....congratulations.

MY Beau, however, hates the rain. AND ice. Rain makes him itchy and attracks flies to him afterwards, and he doesn't like the feel of ice or deep snow....

When it is raining, when I open the barn door for him to go out, he will stand there and stare outside for a few minutes, then turn around and go for a walk through the barn. sometimes we even have to put on his halter and LEAD him into his paddock, even though it is attached to the barn....he's still got indoor horse tendencies. I expect this is from his time as a racehorse. Sometimes even at night when they are left out, he will stand at the barn door and wait to come in and even sometimes PUSH his way in. It is not out of fear, he is an extreme alpha...not in the least spooky. It's not turnout itself he hates, it's rain, wind and ice. On sunny, dry days he's out the door like a flash......

we do self care at a private residence, so we can bring our horses in or leave them out whenever we choose. We do NOT leave them out during blizzards nor do we leave them out in the blistering sun on a hot and humid day and since our horses live at a high altitude, on top of a mountain, I bring them in for severe storms/hail ...ain't about to act like a fool and lose one of our horses to lightning..... Others in our area do, and have had horses killed by lightning. That's up to them, and I don't really give a hoot what they think of us.

Do what you want, and make no apologies to anyone. It isn't necessary.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Nobody is attacking you, we are just stating our opinions and what we do.

You asked why not leave him in during a storm where he's comfortable...is he really comfortable? You said he freaks during a storm, and if he freaks in a stall...well he's actually more likely to hurt himself. I thought my horse was "more comfortable" in his stall, but then he freaked one day banged the top of his dutch door open and tried to jump out. He ended up taking the skin off of both shoulders but it could have been much worse.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm the same. I really do hate them being out. And I do admit, when I used to leave them out overnight and it was heavy rain or thunder and lightning, I'd be out there, even if it was 4AM/5AM, just to get them in. But it doesn't even bother them, it's the same with fireworks, they don't batt an eyelash.

It's because they are my babies.

But I have no choice at the moment, as their a fair few fields away and it's alot of walking down the canal to bring them back home.

But their fine, a horses natural environment is outside XD

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i feel like rain is a lot like cold. once we start getting cold we want to start blanketing our horses. thats why you always see horses with a sheet on when its in the 50s/60s. how many horses do you think get cold when its in the 50s? probably none. horses are made to live outside and their metabolism is also made for it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i am a advocate of : AS MUCH OUTSIDE TIME AS POSSIBLE! i would leave him out 24/7 if i could. they are much healthier that way.

the other day we had tornado like winds with HEAVY rain. the horses with paddocks chose to stand OUTSIDE in the middle of it all! don't worry about your horse getting wet. standing in a stall with all that manure,urine and ammonia are MUCH MUCH worse for his lungs and hoofs. .

let him enjoy being a horse and outside :) if you're THAT worried. get him a light rain sheet ( no fill) as someone suggested.

however i would be much more worried about him getting too hot even in that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts