The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alot of soul searching I have decided it's time to find a ridder for my girl that can ride her and enjoy her. I am just too timid of a ridder. Neither of us enjoy our rides together.
Gracie is a 5 year old Halfinger Appy cross. She is aproximately 14h tall and very healthy. I have had her for about a year now and she has never had any health issues. She has great feet that are strong. I've never put shoes on her.
Gracie is trained to the hilt. She resonds really well to leg cues as long as you establish your the one in charge. She can trot all day long and has a smooth trot.
My question is: I bought her for $500 and then put $2100 into her for training.
What is she worth? I would like to advertise her as $3000 so that gives me and a potential buyer some room to work with.
Any advices? I will take more pictures and video of her being ridden by my husband.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i love her butt. around here if she can go english i'd say 3.5-4k would be a good price

·
Registered
594 Posts
What does she do? That would help a lot on determining what I'd be willing to pay.

If she's just a trail horse who can side pass, back, the easy things, etc. then I'd pay max of $2,000.

If she can do more, then the price would go up from there.

To put it in perspective, my friend just purchased a four year old AQHA who is show-ready (for showmanship, western pleasure, western riding, trail, etc) and paid $2,500.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does she do? That would help a lot on determining what I'd be willing to pay.

If she's just a trail horse who can side pass, back, the easy things, etc. then I'd pay max of $2,000.

If she can do more, then the price would go up from there.

To put it in perspective, my friend just purchased a four year old AQHA who is show-ready (for showmanship, western pleasure, western riding, trail, etc) and paid $2,500.
Honestly, I don't know what all the trainer taught her. We never got past walking and circles because I wasn't ready. He said she would be great in open shows for western pleasure and I know he taught her some dressage stuff to get her collected and using her body. I will figure this stuff out so I can advertise her better. Thanks for the info and questions. Keep them coming. I want her advertisments to be really well put together so she sells faster.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Horse prices are all over the map, and the horse market is still way down, but around here horses like yours would be for sale for $2500-$3500 by folks not in a rush to sell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
she's real good looking and based on the fact that a timid rider can't ride her i'd say that she would bring around 1500 tops around here. a kid horse might go for more. of course if she is real well trained, you aught to be able to control her. do you just lack confidence or do you feel she is trying to run away all the time. haflingers are usually very good natured horses and she looks to carry a large dose of that. it's not for me to say, but if you sell her what will you do next? get another horse or give up riding. how about taking some riding lessons or having some one work with both of you in a round pen and help you gain the confidence that will allow you to cowgirl up.
if i said too much, please understand that i didn't mean to step on your toes.
by the way, i love marines.
hoo rah

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Her looks are a huge asset and I would certainly use one showing her long mane. The fact that, at 14h, she is technically a pony can also be an asset IF she is child safe. The fact that you, as a timid rider, are not comfortable with her tells me that she may be a handful for a young rider.

Well trained ponies with her looks still bring pretty good money, more so then horses. If she can be shown by an intermediate rider, maybe even in 4H, and her temperment is not above a 3 -4, then she could be worth your asking price. The only problem may be the time of the year.

Good luck with her!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Considering she's pretty much a prospect, and not proven in showing or trails, then add the bottomed out horse market, you'd be hard pressed to get $3000. $1500 would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she's real good looking and based on the fact that a timid rider can't ride her i'd say that she would bring around 1500 tops around here. a kid horse might go for more. of course if she is real well trained, you aught to be able to control her. do you just lack confidence or do you feel she is trying to run away all the time. haflingers are usually very good natured horses and she looks to carry a large dose of that. it's not for me to say, but if you sell her what will you do next? get another horse or give up riding. how about taking some riding lessons or having some one work with both of you in a round pen and help you gain the confidence that will allow you to cowgirl up.
if i said too much, please understand that i didn't mean to step on your toes.
by the way, i love marines.
hoo rah
You did not say too much at all! I like people that shoot straight. Honestly, I was in a pretty bad accident on her about 6 months ago and I'm scared to death of her. The accident was my fault, but she stepped on me after I fell off and crushed my ankle. I was laid up for about 5 months and now I'm ridding again. I enjoy ridding my husband's mare, but I dread getting on this girl.
She is sweet and calm and has the temperment of a haflinger, but I get scared and tense, so she gets scared and tense. It's just not a good combination. I've taken lessons and rode her alot, but it just gets worse instead of better. I love her on the ground. We click really well, but not in the saddle.
And by the way :0) it's OORAH....If you put an H in front of that in a group of Marines they're likely to eat you alive.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Ask a little more than what you truly want to get out of her. People love to feel like they are getting a bargain, especially in today's flooded market, so leave yourself a little room to negotiate on the price.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
HAHAHA, I thought you were talking to me when you said that. I was like... how do you know my husband is a Marine? LMAO. Then I realized the OP's name is SemperFiWife. I'm the smartest cookie.
Totally off-topic --- didn't realize there was another of us here - I knew Semper's husband was a Marine, but not your's - howdy! Based on your location I think you are likely the same place my husband is right now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
she's real good looking and based on the fact that a timid rider can't ride her i'd say that she would bring around 1500 tops around here.
I think the problem is the OP can't ride her due to their history (she explains it well in member journals http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/getting-back-after-bad-accident-34663/ ).

It sounds like with all the training in her, and her calm attitude she would make a good horse for a near beginner if they had a fresh relationship, with none of the fear the OP has.

OP - Since you are not in a hurry, I'd start out a little high (your 3000 mark, then drop her to 2500 if you get no bites). You can always go lower if need be, but it's harder to go higher if you start too low.

I'd make sure your husband kept riding her, so she stays in good shape.

Otherwise, have you considered leasing her for three or four years while you build up your confidence on that gelding and let her grow up a bit?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Personally? I would set up a chute, take vid and see what happens. If she is cute over fences than tack on a $3000 price and sell her as a project horse. I think she would be a head turner in the low hunter ring and is small enough for a child to eventually ride.
If that doesn't pan out, then ask the trainer that you had do the work on her how much he charges for sales rides and then get en english/western vid of her going as an open show prospect. Depending on how big open showing is in your area, then price from $1500-3000.
She is technically a "prospect" so you want to show her in as many disciplines as she shows talent for. You need to put money into a sale.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow..I didn't know I'd get this much help. Thanks for all the advice. Now I'm going to try and answer and address all of you that have replied since my last post.
Taylor12 she is 5 almost 6 years old
AlmostThere thanks for the help. yes, she is very calm and a great horse for someone that doesn't have our history. I agree with your comments completely. I don't think she's good for a timid beginner, but one that can assert themselves would be good on her I think.
Anebel I'd already thought of that and have a call into the trainer. We will be talking to him soon and I'm headed out to take pictures and video soon.

Thanks again all of you for helping me so much. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.