The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
16,034 Posts
One funny sight from years ago that had me crying with laughter was a gander wandering into a friend's shed to be chased out by a bantam hen sitting on eggs.

That little hen ended up on the gander's back amd they disappeared down the drive with the gander honking away. It was several minutes before the hen appeared back to rearrange her eggs and settle down. The gander was gone for well over an hour and was exceedingly wary of going anywhere near that shed again.

· Premium Member
16,034 Posts
At one riding school we were given a dozen battery hens. I am sure if you took all the feathers they were displaying and put them on one bird it might have looked half decent!

The. Someone dumped a rooster. Do not believe that these battery hens will not go broody because they will. Soon there were hundreds of chickens about the place. Som became very friendly.

Summer school holidays I knew some of the children were up to something but could never find out what until they went back to school whereby I noticed a very friendly one legged pullet hopping around. She had been trodden on by one of the ponies and lost her leg. The children knew what I would do to her so they had doctored her up and kept her hidden. She lived for many a year.

· Registered
16,650 Posts
Here's my hint for getting chickens to follow you anywhere you want to take them. The answer is simple....

SHREDDED CHEESE!!!

Start giving them shredded cheese as a treat. It is like CRACK to a chicken. All I had to do was walk out in the yard with a bag of shredded cheese in my hand and they would come running at warp speed. Shake the bag a few times and they will follow you anywhere.

· Registered
9,045 Posts
This thread has me :rofl:

Bantam hen chasing and jumping on Gander :rofl:
Gander attacking a cat after cat swats gander :rofl:

Herding chickens into new henhouse while headbanging :rofl: the visual of this would have been a winner!

Chickens are really hard to catch!! I wait until night to catch mine, they are slower then :wink:

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This thread has me :rofl:

Bantam hen chasing and jumping on Gander :rofl:
Gander attacking a cat after cat swats gander :rofl:

Herding chickens into new henhouse while headbanging :rofl: the visual of this would have been a winner!

Chickens are really hard to catch!! I wait until night to catch mine, they are slower then :wink:
LOL! I did wait until after dark. We did it by the light of a I-phone to make sure we got them all.

· Premium Member
2,971 Posts
I'm enjoying this thread. I once worked with a woman who grew up on a farm in the Midwest. She told me of her daily egg gathering chore.

She always entered the coop with a basket and a broom. Any rooster that flew up at her got swatted with the broom in midair. She said that she would try hard to bounce them off the wall. Any rooster that had to be swatted twice ended up as Sunday supper.

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm enjoying this thread. I once worked with a woman who grew up on a farm in the Midwest. She told me of her daily egg gathering chore.

She always entered the coop with a basket and a broom. Any rooster that flew up at her got swatted with the broom in midair. She said that she would try hard to bounce them off the wall. Any rooster that had to be swatted twice ended up as Sunday supper.
That's pretty much how I feel about them but hubby was VERY unhappy with me when I served him Frickin' Chicken, so these 2 will be rehomed.

· Premium Member
16,034 Posts
We had a Wyandotte rooster in a coop with a run and his four wives. He was another that was really nasty. He would get up in the tree when he was in a bigger pane and fly at you, attacking from above so, he stayed in a coop.
I wanted to collect the eggs and to do this someone would stand by the run so he was trying to attack them and I would grab the eggs.

This particular day he didn't come outside to attack. I slowly opened the egg box hatch expecting him to have got wise to our antics. He didn't appear. I got down on my knees by the run and peep inside to see he was dead on the floor.

None of us mourned him.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.