The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like this is worth the long read, you'll find that listening to our horses is so so important I you didn't already know this!

I am so happy with how I helped my boy Oliver!

So yesterday was a rush of a day, I was able to sleep in, get all my barn chores done and do a super job grooming up Ollie. He is already shedding like crazy!!!

So the massage theripist did an amazing job!!

She commented more then once that he was different then a lot of the horses she works on. He settled right into her hands, relaxed and excepted the body work as if to say yes mom, this is exactly what I needed, thank you for listening!

She also mentioned more then once how she was surprised by him pushing back into her with equal pressure on his really tight spots after moving around a little I get her just where he needed her hands! Truly amazing to watch the communication of the two go back and forth with no words just body language and listening to him.

He not only liked her but loved her and didn't hesitate to tell her he needed more work on his right shoulder done. She had gone to move on to his forearm then to his neck and he turns his head, rested his head against her shoulder then positioned himself where his shoulder was in front of her hands again then looked at her again and nudged her into his shoulder...

Our horses have an amazing and beautiful way of communications with us should we remain open and listening wit not just our ears but our eyes and touch and gut feeling.

I felt so at peace seeing that reaction to the massage. I did my job in listening to my horse and in return he told me thank you by being so good and litter ally helping the massage go along.

It was very intresting to play apart in as Oliver has never been the kind of horse to be mouthy...but two times when the massage theripist reached a spot that was sore when she applied pressure he slowly stuck his nose in my face and not to bite me but sure did sure show me his teeth and open and closed them very slightly against my face/neck. As soon as I said no, I know it hurts we are going to help it feel better just breath bubba...he'd lower his head and take a big deep breath out and start licking and chewing.

I told this to the gal working on him and asked was that a very right spot and she just replied with yes and the communication below teen you and this horse is in believable. She noted that many of her first time clients would have over reacted and swated their horses face away but I remained calm and talked to him and he listened and relaxed again...

Doing good by your horse, listening, problem solving and seeing the result of good work is truly amazing no matter how many ones you see it done. That good feeling inside of you because you made someone you care about and love feel better when thy do not speak our language is the best feeling in the world.

So your probably wondering what it is that we found throughout this massage!
We had a suspicion that he would be found to be tight and sore in his back and hind end from the harder work we are asking, making him do more of the work then me...

Nope, not the case! She found him to yes be the normal amount of tight and got him loosened up and relaxed but not anything that would lead to him acting up the way he has been.

She checked him for actuated sure points that would indicate his ulcers flaring up and found no hints and we where all a little shocked at that. She checked his back for saddle soreness and said she loved the way his back felt and my saddle must fit very well and he must like it a lot!

What she did find was his shoulders where very very tight, painfully tight. That his forelegs where rock solid....she put a hand on it and told me to feel and when I realized what I was feeling was stone hard muscle I was shocked and felt so bad. She spent a lot of time working in the places on both sides of him and got them to release tension and and get we blood flow in there to help.

This is also where she was applying so mush pressure that she was surprised when he pushed into her to add more and helped her get the right places.

These findings explain why he was stepping the way he was, not able to fully reach, stretch. It hurt, it was to tight!!

We also found on the left side that the hind leg, inside of it in the upper region above the hock was very tight... Like rock hard too. She was able to get good blood flow and relaxe that muscle a bit. This would explain his hard canter direction to the left.... When we listen and do things like this we find the answers to or problems when we are riding...it comes full circle and makes sense.

So that last part that we found was very wet tight, and will be tight more often with the work we ask of him is his neck, the crest of his neck was very tight and we where able to loosen this up as well.

I have my homework, to work on his legs and shoulders and neck before and after each workout...

I might invest in some lavender oil to help him relaxe more at the beginning of the workout since in sure metallurgy he's going to think this going to hurt all over again and I can't do this... But we'll wait and see on that.

Anyways that was yesterday's findings.
We will still go through with having the chiropractor out to see what else we an do to help him. Luckily that's not till next monday so not all at once with all the body work.

I'll be going out tomorrow and working him an getting pictures of I can.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Are you setting your saddle too far forwards, and that is impeding the movement and accounting for the findings in the shoulder area?

Is he blanketed, and it is doing the same?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Klassic thank-you for posting this. It came at a time that I have been questioning calling a equine chiro for my new mare Misty. She has always demonstrated tension during not only the saddling process but the grooming as well.

After massaging Walka one day, I decided to massage her. It was eye opening and I realized that she carries so much tension in the area where her neck ties into her withers and shoulders.

We always attributed part of her issue to never having a saddle that fit correctly and being ridden with extreme tension (previous owner as well as trainer rode her with absolutely no relief in the reins and they themselves sat to forward). We , my trainer and myself, saw improvement with proper fitting saddle and riding her with seat position and loose reins. She even started to lower her head and relax.

But I have always felt there was more happening. Getting to know her and handle her during these winter months, I am believing there is a need to see an equine chiro to start and then go from there. So your thread came at a wonderful time to give me "validation" if you will that I am on the right path for her. Thank-you , and good luck with your boy!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I realize this was not meant to be funny, but when you described your horse putting himself in the position of the area he wanted massaged, all I could think of was my 3 yr old gelding who will position himself so I can scratch his butt.

Sometimes he will lift a back leg, like "here, I will lift my leg so you can scratch between my butt cheeks." No kidding, he actually does that. :lol:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trail horse rider- he has been known to do that too lol! My trainers mares do that as well. Too funny!!

Walkamile- I'm so glad this helped validate things for you with your mare!!
I was hoping this thread would do!!

Iv been slammed down with this bead cold that won't go away and haven't been able to do more work on him since! Poo!

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
When a young teen I watched a groom at the race track groom a horse. It was the way he used his equipment that I realized he was not just cleaning the horse but massaging the horse, end to end. If a horse is groomed properly there should be no need to hire someone to massage the horse. Grooming is hard work at first and like the race groom it takes about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Just a relaxing massage and a proper massage therapy are two very different things, and the latter calls for lots of professional knowledge & experience! As much as I can relax my horse with a simple massage, I don't have the proper knowledge to release truly tense muscles and other bodily problems. Thanks for posting this, Klassic. :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Its funny you should post this, i was just looking into scheduling a massage for Max, as there's been a long list of reasons why and I think he will really benefit. I do some small massages on him, but I honestly don't know which areas he needs most/ the best way to do it. I think I found a lady I get good vibes from, only problem is I haven't heard anything about her. Hmm...

If you don't mind me asking, Klassic, is your boys massage therapist only located on the island or does she travel? You can PM me if that's better for you :)

I'm really happy for Oliver though! I know how beneficial a good massage can be for the body and soul :) Hope that good energy keeps flowing your way!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ninamebo- She travels to Port Orchard I do know that much....I can PM you her contact info and you can look her up..... you can google Kneaded Touch Equine Massage...Vashon WA

Kneaded Touch Equine Massage

You can also find her on Facebook under that same name, Donna Baxter is her name and she does AMAZING WORK

Best of luck, it helped us out SO much!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thats awesome! My friend does acupressure massages and my horse is the exact same way with her. He absolutely loves it! Even the first time she came out to see him, after a minute of her working on him he realized she was making him feel good and he'd lean into it, yawnnnnnnn, stretch, it was just adorable. Shes made such a difference for him too! While I'm grooming I try to do a few stretches with him, belly lifts and stuff and that seems to keep him together more. She checked him a few weeks ago after not working on him for likeee 2 months, and she couldn't find a single tension spot :) Its an awesome feeling when you know you've done right by your horse isn't it? I'm glad you tried it and he enjoyed it so much!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Evilamc- YES its a great heartwarming feeling!! I'm so happy I did it, I'm so happy she is so close and affordable!! I will be saving money just for her massages this year....

I feel bad, its been so cold and iv been so sick that i haven't been able to ride since the work was done or even lunge him....I'm going to have to do a bit more work again before getting on him again :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts