The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,407 Posts
@tinyliny here registered or not most horses have a "pet" name. That would be the name called on a daily basis. Nick name, barn name, pet name - basically the name called most often. If they aren't at a show that counts toward their breed registration for points then many show the horse under a fun, catchy name. It's the name you wish your horse had but didn't come with if registered. Some though have really great names that make great show names and no reason to change. Someone here used the show name MT Pockets. I love that one. Really fitting considering the cost to show. I think it was AcadianArtist.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My AQHA gelding's registration name is reeeeeally boring: Jana Dun-n-Roan, named by the breeder for their farm name and his coloring. I suspect that when a breeder is required to come up with names that all creativeness goes out of the process after a while and they just use what seems simple and easy. I've adopted a cowboy name for him since we've met and I call him Ranger, thinking that he's a Texas ranger. If I were forced to have a show name, I would choose something that would incorporate my name choice. Something like ImaRanger or Ranger Captain...

I've added a star to his tack to enhance the Texas ranger persona.

Reactions: BethR

·
Super Moderator
27,165 Posts
He looks kind of like a Gomer Pile or a Barney Fife....

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,402 Posts
I'll admit to being completely lost. Barn name? Show name? What does all that mean? Is there such a thing as a pasture name? Doesn't this good looking Appy have a name he can call his own?
For showing, it's often either the registered name, or just something longer and a bit more unique than what they're called at home. So that way you don't end up with four Dixies and six Reds at a show, and the horse is more recognizable to people who follow a particular showing circuit. Elle's registered name is three words and six syllables, so I'm definitely not calling her that at home!!

·
Registered
14,634 Posts
We call our deaf horse Snow White, aka Snowy. Her registered name is Classic Play Style. So her 'barn name' is Snowy.

I had a Thoroughbred that I rode on the open show circuit. His registered Tbred name was Bruiser La Rue, bleh. His barn name was Boozer because he loved to steal the guys beer. I showed him under the name Gallant Lad.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,402 Posts
I’ve told this story here before, but I owned an appendix gelding waaaay back whose registered name was Paulas Bold Thought. Yuck. We showed him as Java Jive instead, Java for his barn name.

The only part of Elle’s full name that could work as a barn name is “Precious,” and one dose of her withering side-eye is enough to rule that out!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll admit to being completely lost. Barn name? Show name? What does all that mean? Is there such a thing as a pasture name? Doesn't this good looking Appy have a name he can call his own?
Pasture name? Lol. I call all my horses by one name which would be their “barn name”. I always thought you’d just show under their registered name. When I first saw this “show name” thing I had to go google it. 😂

·
Registered
180 Posts
A barn name is typically what the horse is called around the barn/at home.

A show name is what the horse shows under, which is usually too long to call a horse by on a regular basis. Some people just use the registered name to show under (this is what I do with mine that are registered), but some like a catchy name for the horse to show under, whether the horse doesn't have a registered name or the owner doesn't like the horse's registered name.

For example, I had one with the barn name "Buster", who showed under "Buster Brown". He was grade and didn't have a registered name.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I've been looking for a show name for my appaloosa cross. He's a cute, silly little app that gets into everything.
Tell me if you have any ideas🐴:) View attachment 1120598
Okay I LOVE coming up with names, so here’s a few!

Gin Fizz
Chianti
Irish Cream
London Fog
Mai Tai
Tequila Sunrise
Whiskey Sour
Stinger
Mint Julep
Designated Driver
Pink Gin (red roan)
Pumped Up Kicks