• confront my trainer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • continue with what I'm currently doing

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
I would put this in the category of "mi casa es su casa" in other words enjoy what I have to offer hospitality wise while you are here but please leave behind what's mine when you decide it's time to go.

If there is no legally binding contract then the horse does not belong to you. I assume the legal age to enter a binding contract is also 18 so unless you have reached that age or your parents signed then the horse is not yours in any part.

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
I just feel like with the yard im at now my riding isn't progressing and I feel slightly embarrassed about it, like i've been riding constantly for over a year and on and off over the years so in total about 3-4 years, but my trainer wont let me do what I want to do and she wont let me go faster than trot, so I've taken it into my own hands and have been training myself, in two weeks training myself I've progressed more than in a year with my trainer. I'm now cantering and jumping around 2 feet, but with her she BARELY lets me do trot poles. I've tried bringing this issue to my trainers attention but whenever I bring it up she just changes the subject or says, "once the ground dries up", or "I dont think your ready" or things like that, even though the ground IS dries up, and I KNOW I'm ready. So what do I do?!
Yea I know I just couldn't handle it, riding is getting so boring because I'm not aloud to go past trot, and its just so repetitive everyday doing small bits of riding in circles me and my horses are getting bored.
I have invested alot of time (over 1 year) and hundreds of dollars into one for her feet, and the other we had a agreement where I help train her and she will be part mine witch I have been training her for many months.
Its more than vet bills, its very complicated to explain without me sounding spoiled. Basically had no time for her and was neglecting her and gave her to me, and there's also a form of contract so yea
I think there's a lot more to this story than we are being made aware of. Every story also has two sides. If you have truly been riding consistently for a year then there are reasons I'm sure why you are riding at the level you are at. If all you've done is ride 30 to 45 minutes once a week chances are you haven't gained the skills you think you have to progress the way you expect. We all progress at different rates depending on our goals and what we've been training for. Adding in rides here and there to come up with 3 or 4 years worth of riding isn't the same as riding 2 to 3 times a week for that amount of time. It sounds like you were given an opportunity to ride which your parents pay for and your trainer has taken you under her wing to give you more than they provided but it isn't enough so you are here looking for advice to accomplish what, I'm not sure of, as your parents are footing your bills and your trainer it sounds is being quite generous with her horses allowing you extra time without compensation. I highly doubt you've paid hundreds over the last year for vet/farrier bills from the way your threads have progressed. You also aren't "training" a horse at the level you say your instructor has you. Accusing your trainer of neglect is pretty serious. There's a big difference in not having time to ride one of many and truly neglecting an animal. I'd probably use the word entitled and wonder what your parents or trainer would say if they saw these posts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts