The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just rescued 3 horses and the owner is coming to get them by the beginning of November. Star my 15 year old quarter horse keeps running at them (she was on the opposite side of the field and randomly trot/cantered at them then bit them) She has done it twice already, we don't know their ages but were pretty sure there all mares. its 1 white, 1 buckskin, and 1 chestnut.
:D

How can i stop this and why is she doing it? Thanks

· Registered
16,512 Posts
If you have them on your property, how is it that you don't know their sexes? You're 'pretty sure' they're mares? Seriously?! :shock:

Plus, have you never heard of quarantining strange horses before you stick them in with your own?

Oy, sounds like these horses need to be rescued from the rescuer..... :-x

· Banned
212 Posts
We just rescued 3 horses and the owner is coming to get them by the beginning of November. Star my 15 year old quarter horse keeps running at them (she was on the opposite side of the field and randomly trot/cantered at them then bit them) She has done it twice already, we don't know their ages but were pretty sure there all mares. its 1 white, 1 buckskin, and 1 chestnut.
:D

How can i stop this and why is she doing it? Thanks

You are pretty sure they are all mares? You haven't looked??

You can't stop her.. its completely natural for horses to go through the process of a pecking order.
Sometimes they all figure it out quickly, other times it takes a little longer. As long as your mare is not seriously hurting the other horses, I would let them figure it out on their own. If your mare is really hurting any of them and drawing blood, you may have to seperate if you can.
But usually they will figure it all out and everyone will know their place.
I have only had to seperate one horse from my alpha in all the years I've had him, he would constantly run the horse and was out for blood.

· Banned
212 Posts
If you have them on your property, how is it that you don't know their sexes? You're 'pretty sure' they're mares? Seriously?! :shock:

Plus, have you never heard of quarantining strange horses before you stick them in with your own?

We were thinking the same thing......

· Registered
23,909 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

And what do you mean by the "owner to get them"? Did someone just throw them into your pasture after taking them off the auction?

site4pets, she's doing it because she's excited. The only way to stop it either remove them, let her go with them (given they were quarantined and you are sure they are healthy), or move them to the different field she couldn't see them anymore.

· Banned
522 Posts
You sure know how to get people riled up, site4pets. Please tell me you're kidding with this post. I completely agree with Speed Racer if this post is for real. No quarantine, and you don't know the horses' sexes? Sounds like a great rescue job.
Posted via Mobile Device

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The horse are sorta afraid of people, we dont want to scare them, they were missing for 3 days before we caught them, we saw the buckskin nursing on both the mares. Not sure how that happend. We rescued them because they had been following the train tracks to town and actually almost got hit by some semis so we didnt want that happening

· Registered
23,909 Posts
The horse are sorta afraid of people, we dont want to scare them, they were missing for 3 days before we caught them, we saw the buckskin nursing on both the mares. Not sure how that happend. We rescued them because they had been following the train tracks to town and actually almost got hit by some semis so we didnt want that happening
Do you grain them at all? If not I'd start doing that just to bring them close so they'd be OK with your presence.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You sure know how to get people riled up, site4pets. Please tell me you're kidding with this post. I completely agree with Speed Racer if this post is for real. No quarantine, and you don't know the horses' sexes? Sounds like a great rescue job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Again there a little timid of people so i dont want to look. And no they didnt get dropped in our pasture some guy left them at his house for the summer andthey managed to get out and walk down here to our house one night we tried 2 hours to catch them then it took all day the next day to get them in our yard.

· Banned
522 Posts
I don't understand at all. Where were they missing from? Where did you 'rescue' them from? Separate them from your other horse and make sure they don't have any transferrable diseases- although it's probably too late for quarantine now if they've been allowed to visit with your other horse. Could you please explain whose horses they are, and why they were missing from wherever they were supposed to be? I am very confused and it doesn't sound like a great situation all around.

· Registered
23,909 Posts
Where did you 'rescue' them from?
Well... Pretty much any take-in of the abused, unhandled, or untrained horse is called "rescue" these days. :wink:

Although I say I rescued mine two as well all the time. :D

· Registered
480 Posts
if you can catch them loose on train tracks, i think you can check to see if they're mares or geldings..

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't understand at all. Where were they missing from? Where did you 'rescue' them from? Separate them from your other horse and make sure they don't have any transferrable diseases- although it's probably too late for quarantine now if they've been allowed to visit with your other horse. Could you please explain whose horses they are, and why they were missing from wherever they were supposed to be? I am very confused and it doesn't sound like a great situation all around.

It all started 3 days ago when they escaped from some guys house down the road. We know this because my dad saw 3 horses walking side-byside down the road while he was going to work. The next day i saw my horse staring at something behind our house a little ways away on the train tracks. It was 3 horses. After spending 2 hours that night trying to get them off the tracks we gave up. Yesterday my mom got stopped by the D.O.T (department of transport) on her way to work and they mentioned there was 3 horses in town (they followed the train tracks) that almost got hit by 2 semis and the construction workers couldn't catch them. Later that day they walked back to our house on the tracks, and i spotted them. We bribed them in our feild with hay, and now there here. We tried calling animal control before catching them but they wouldnt answer, we tried calling the local ranch but they wouldnt help, we tried calling our friend but she was out on a hunting trip, and we also tried calling the sherif but nobody knows the owners name. Someone else in town has seen the horses at his house just like we did (thats why were assuming there his) but nobody knows him, they have seen the horses there but thats it. Im hoping he will find that we have the horses and come get them. We told the sheriff we had them incase anyone went around asking about 3 horses.

· Registered
23,909 Posts
^^ Now THAT explains it. You should of start with the full story. :wink:

I really hope the owner will take them out of your custody very soon as it is rather troublesome situation!

· Banned
522 Posts
What's preventing you from going over to this man's house- if you've seen the horses at his house, you obviously know where he lives- and banging on his door, or leaving a note with your phone number? It isn't a rescue, it's housing someone's horses that escaped.

· Banned
212 Posts
We just rescued 3 horses and the owner is coming to get them by the beginning of November.

And now this doesn't make sense... how do you know the owner is coming to get them by November if you aren't completely sure who that is? And I agree with Charis, if you think they are the guy down the street's horses, why did you not go there the moment you caught them?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont know if this means anything but the bucskin is laying down. Star is in her corral and there on pasture. The other two are standing and eating a little far away. The white one rolled earlier in the mud.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.