The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young paint/quarter horse stallion that needs a new home. He was born here and I simply lack the skills or time to train him properly. However, I'm feeding him like crazy. $$ He's a friendly, curious, smart, "fun" stud. Four years old. No skills. Flashy black with white socks and a white splash on his face. Tall pony/short horse. His Dam is APHA registered with the name ‘Classy Van Freckles’ and her sire is ‘No Controversy’ and her dam is ‘Chica Van Freckles’. His father is not registered.

I'm in the Houston, Texas area. Is it possible to sell or give away a great horse with potential but no skills? I hate to see him spend his life tearing things up and getting into trouble because he's smart and bored.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yes it will be possible to find him a good home, but I personally would say it would be doing him a huge disservice to sell him as an unregistered, untrained stallion. My opinion is that he absolutely should be gelded before sold.

Stallions should only be sold if they are quality breeding animals. An unregistered horse with no proven record, no matter how sweet should not be sent out as a stud.

Obviously he will not be purchased for part of a well researched breeding program. So his life will be limited. He will be kept solitary, and most boarding places will not accept stallions so your list of potential owners will be few. Most people do not want stallions as riding horses, even if they are well behaved because of stabling issues.

They say a good stallion makes a great gelding. Your horse will be much more desirable as a gelding.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I absolutely agree with gelding him. I do think it's possible to give away a horse like this (once gelded). But you have to be careful who you give it to, since it's possible someone could just turn around and sell him at the meat auction, especially since you are in Texas. You'd have to give him to someone you knew, or to the friend of a friend.

Having said that, if you are serious, could you post some pictures? And be more specific about what he can do? You say no skills, but surely he has ground skills (ties, stands, trailers), right? I'm in Austin and I could put out some feelers...

ETA: honestly, if I weren't already a little underwater boarding my three horses, I'd be interested in him.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Best choice:
Geld him, send him to a trainer to get him going under saddle, sell as a barely-green, unregistered small gelding. Depending on his conformation, price range would be in the $1000 to $2500 range. Which is about what it will cost you to get him started, but it is his very best chance at a happy life.

Second best:
Geld him, sell him as an non-started horse. Price range $750 - 1500. You will be lucky to find a buyer who knows how to deal with such a horse.

Third:
Geld him, send to auction. He might find a buyer who won't make him into dog food.

Fourth: don't geld him, send him to auction. He will be butchered.

Giving away an unbroke unregisterable stallion is just passing your problem on to some other victim or else someone who will go straight to option 4.

There is zero in it for you or for him to keep him whole. Zero.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Get him gelded and start posting in facebook groups in your area. You are in Texas so there are a bunch of them and you can almost certainly find a group that is into paints and some won't mind if they are grade.

Being gelded opens a lot of doors for him and potentially brings you a little more money than being a stallion. Very few people are equipped to keep a stallion properly or know how to handle and train them, or want to take something like that on if they do.

Stallions that aren't registered, out of well known desirable horses and excellent examples of the breeding/bloodline are doing a disservice to the horse. We may sometimes wish that wasn't the case with a young stallion we grow fond of, but it is how it works in the horse industry.

Good luck

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm from around the Houston area, try www.southeasttexas.com to post an add. Lots of sites on facebook that cater to paints. He would probably sell faster as a gelding since he's not registered. I would also make time to do ground work and at least have him used to a saddle on his back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts