The Horse Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just my opinion but I'd definitely have her vetted first. Ask the owner about dropping the price of the vet check off his asking price. Ask about a trial period. Even 14 days would give you a good idea of if you 2 fit:) I love my Rascal, just wish I'd had him checked first. We have possible muscle issues from him being ridden while still WAY young.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just my opinion but I'd definitely have her vetted first. Ask the owner about dropping the price of the vet check off his asking price. Ask about a trial period. Even 14 days would give you a good idea of if you 2 fit:) I love my Rascal, just wish I'd had him checked first. We have possible muscle issues from him being ridden while still WAY young.
Thanks, I agree that would be the best way to go. But she's over 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live, so a trial (especially at that price that is nearly a grand less than what he was asking) isn't possible. Otherwise, it would be awesome :'(
And I thought about a vet check--but I don't know of any good vets down that way, and it's just bizarre in my opinion to call up and pay a vet I've never met. Also, if something by freak chance does turn out to make her unsound for riding, she's flashy enough looking and has decent enough bloodlines to probably throw some pretty foals (but that's an IF IF IF--I really just want her for riding project, not a broodmare. I don't plan to breed her.)
I think I'm going to get her tomorow.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thought I'd share this with you. A lady sent up a 2 yr old for me to train this summer. I kept her most of the summer. The lady (who is also a friend of mine) decided she wanted to sell her and offered me a % if I would sell her. I had a couple drive a few hours to come see her. I was very direct and upfront in my ad regarding how she was and how she was trained. They kept telling me they just couldn't believe she was a 2 yr old because she was so quiet and mellow. They even made mention, "is she drugged?" I was horrified. I told them no, that this was just her nature. (she let my two children ages 14 and 17 ride her all summer long) She was just a real quiet filly.

So it can happen that this mare is just a quiet type mare. It can happen.

Ps. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yay! thats great ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats! I'm so happy to hear that this mare finally found a wonderful home!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Congrats! I'm so happy to hear that this mare finally found a wonderful home!
Actuaaaally..turns out I won't be taking her home.
I made to trips to the ATM, and today readied the trailer. Drove two hours with my dad. His was it--the day we got to take Lakota home. I was so happy. But when we got there..it was a totall differnt animal. She was preppy peppy, and that didn't bother me, then ergot her out on a lead rope with the owner...and she charged my dad. He hadn't done anyhing to warrent it, and it all happened so fast. So the owner let out in the arena to run a bit, and she bucked and squeeled and juswas nothing likethe slug we liked so much the last two times wevseen her. Then, tried to lead her and she chomped down on a wrist...very very hard. I swear t was like she was a totally different animal. I knew at that point if I took her home it would be bad. Either I would hurt her and her training, or she would hurt me. Not might. WOULD. so I said no and drove away. Now I'm driving two hours towing an empty trailer. I think I kno now why she was for salefor so lOng. I feel so stupid...and discouraged.
He even gave her calm ex this morning I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry about the spelling, by the way. typing on anIPod touch is like trying to herd cats:IMPOSSIBLE!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
879 Posts
:( Wow, I really hope an inexperienced owner does not pick up this horse. Sounds like the guy is lying to get rid of her for more than she's worth. Good job on walking away, that had to be hard, but definitely the right decision.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I am so sorry that it didn't work out for you but I commend you for changing your mind and not taking her home anyway with delusions that you can cure her of every problem. Don't get discouraged, there are only about a billion other horses out there and right now, it's a buyer's market. Just keep your chin up and keep looking. You'll find the one that is right for you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am so sorry that it didn't work out for you but I commend you for changing your mind and not taking her home anyway with delusions that you can cure her of every problem. QUOTE]
Thanks. It just confirmed my theory that the only ones people feel like parting with are the ones with..um...put nicely..issues :lol:.
It was sorta like a nightmare..Watching this previously mellow mare go NUTS. I had a big envelope of cash in myhand...I had this vision of myself, in a hospital bed in a few weeks, in a full body cast. Or limping into my classes on crutches. I knew I would screw up her training too. I know that you can work one out of charging, etc, but I really would rather not buy something had this "i want you blood" glint in it's eyes, ya know? :evil:
Walking away, or rather, DRIVINGAWAY with the empty trailer was one of the toughest things I;ve done in a long time. But I knew I had to.
It also sucks because she is by far one of the MOST GORGEOUS paint I've seen in a very long time. Any horse I look at after this (and yes..the craiglist addicts are still responding to my ad) are just..well..quite frankly ugly after her. Not to be shallow. But why did it have to be the gorgeous one that was nuts? Oh well.
I'm learning horses are alot like my experience with guys: the ones that seem to good to be true ALWAYS are. And as soon as I commit to one things get ugly. lolololol.:rofl:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry that it didn't work out for you. I understand how hard it is to get so worked up over getting something only to be disappointed. Sounds like it was for the best though if she's acting like that.

Hope you can find a horse soon. I am not sure if there are any training facilities nearby, but maybe they can help you. Some instructors have connections and can find you a horse that meets your level.

Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow, I can hardly believe that. He seriously misrepresented that horse, to the expense of your time and travel cost. Not to mention anyone else who had come out to see her. What a bummer for you, and kudos to you for walking away!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
HUGE kudos to you! I also can relate to how you feel. I had wanted a paint for a really long time. I tri color tobi.....mostly color. Anyway, I found one, went a couple times to see and ride-LOVED him. Had him vetted, put my deposit down, went home to prepare. Lady emailed me about a week later-the day beofre I was supposed to pick him up (again about 2 hrs away) and she sold him to her sis-in-law! I could NOT believe it! She refunded my deposit, but I lost my vet $$. I have never heard of such a thing. Was she not your sis-in-law LAST week, before I bought the horse? Did she not know you were selling? Anyway-furious. Took me some time, but I found Guinness. Totally wonderful, and every bit as pretty but no, not a paint. And that is ok. I am over it. lol

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am so sorry! Gosh, how crazy! KUDOS to you for walking away. It could have been a disaster situation. Plenty of horses in the sea waiting for ya.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I remember form other family members whom where into breding them little ones will mind the family before a stranger so the fact that you could get a command across is just from him having her for 5 years while you are a complete stranger... in the past since I am a older lady of 49 years the buyer would go not just once to see the horse but a few times to see how the horse took them like daily for a week or every other day ... thats why getting something close is best .. specially if the cost is what one is worried about... I am from lines of ranchers rodeo and grove owners... I been around them all my life ....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts