The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quarter horse stud that I rescued in feb.of this yr. He was extreamly skinny(you could see his spine,ribs,hips,biscly every bone)over the summer he started putting on weight & looking good,but as it gets colder here it is like he is dropping weight.I wormed him at the end of oct. I used Safe-guard 0.5% dewormer Medicated(it is pellets cant get him to
take a gel wormer) & he started picking his weight back up then all of a sudden dropping it again.He looks like he did when I 1st took him in,I hate seeing him like this,my other 4 are big & fat,he looks so pittifull next to them.A friend of mine suggested that I have him fixed,but I dont know if that will help.Before I do that I thought I would ask for some ideas on maybe changing feed or adding more feed...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Check his teeth and put him in front of decent hay non stop, have the vet do a fecal parasite check. I feed molasass free beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, barley and oats combined, and when I need to add weight to a horse I add calf manna pellets or rice bran, depending on the situation. Many people don't like grains, and everyone will tell you different. If I want a horse to gain weight instead of upping feed I add an extra feeding, keep that belly full and working keeps the horse warm and we don't burn calories keeping warm that way.
I also blanket in the cold because it preserves energy that would be used creating warmth.

Unless he's stellar quality papered, and a proven working horse in his career field geld him, his life will be easier and it may reduce some stress he's creating in himself when mares come into season- and as a result May make him an easier keeper.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.