The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16.3hh ex racer TB and when I got him he was really skinny, he still is skinny but his ribs are partly covered but he has next to no muscle in his back and it is so sensitive I need some pointers
He's getting fed lucerne, horse furmula, alrounder pellets with full fat soy to help fatten him up
But I do hop on him bare back for like 10 mins to help and lunge him as often as possible but what would be the best exercises and stuff like that which will work really fast so I can start riding him properly though I don't want to be jumping him or lean to that side as he has a bubbled tendon but the vet said it shouldn't affect him
I got this horse as a present as nice as the thought is my partner knows absolutely nothing about horses so he got me more work then I would had of liked
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)
If you could tell us how much of each he gets, we can better help you out. Is Lucerne the only roughage or does he have grass or grass hay available, too?
Free choice grass/ grass hay is the base of everything. No hard feed will do what the right roughage does.
Also, is he fresh off the track? If so, he might have ulcers.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I got a TB who never raced but was fed and trialled to be one. She wasn't super skinny when I got her but she was under the desirable weight. It took around six months of feeding to get her good. Coming off the high energy feed she lost condition, I fed her a grain free mixed feed along with oil and weight supplements twice a day. She got fed lucerne hay twice a day until she would eat no more, and then she was on grazing/grass hay 24/7. Still she barely held her condition through winter (she was rugged as well). After time though she just got better. Her body shaped changed, her belly "dropped" a bit and six months later she was fine on just grass.

I don't know where your horse has come from. While I did feed high fat feed over winter I don't think it's the best idea. I've researched a fair bit online and it seems that when horses digest these high energy feeds it can make it harder for them to digest natural grasses and hay. Especially if the feed contains cereals. Sometimes it's the only choice but really focus on maintaining weight with hay. Make sure he has full access to hay all the time, and lucerne as well.

Ulcers are a concern, I'm pretty sure my mare had them when I got her but I never got it checked. Being put out for months, relearning to be a horse with other horses, switching to a forage diet in my case the problem fixed itself.

My advice is to be patient, get good quality hay and supply as much as he'll eat. Use your fatteners as you need them, rather than in excess. The bulk of the diet should be from the hay. And just time I guess. You can google exercises to build topline.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
As deserthorsewoman said, we need more info on him.

But as for exercises, start with gentle hand walking up and down hills. Once you up his fitness levels and get some more weight on him, start trotting. Hills are pretty good for building topline. After that, you could start using some trot poles to really get him working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.