The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am really confused. This is finally my chance to buy my first horse. A cute black and white miniature show horse..But if I purchased him, I would have to quit taking riding lessons (forever) at my riding stable.

What should I do? I would be boarding the horse at my riding stable, but I really like taking lessons.. Help!! :think:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Why are you purchassing a mini? Wouldn't you want a rideable horse? And Why can't you keep your lessons?

If I were you I would probably hold onto my lessons then maybe later on get a horse I can actually ride. Unless you want to go into the inhand showing thing, i think you may also be able to train minis to the harness

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
If you enjoy riding, don't give it up just to have a horse that you can't ride.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm getting a mini because I really like the breed, plus in hand showing would be fun.
My lessons cost me as much as boarding and vet calls would cost, per month. Haha..

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
What would be your plans as far as what you would want to do with a mini? Why is the only horse you would be able to purchase a mini?
As you enjoy riding, I would suggest using the money that would be used for the purchase of the mini to put towards a riding horse. The market right now is a buyers market - even if you can't afford a riding horse right now, you could put the money into an interest bearing account and increase your budget that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be using the mini in inhand showing, and driving. I enjoy my riding, but I also enjoy in hand showing and driving.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I'd say save up for a horse that you can ride, show in hand & possibly drive too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know. I've talked to my instructor about it, and I already paid for a whole month of more lessons. He told me it was my choice.. *a hard one GEEZE!*

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I love our mini....if it's something you think you will enjoy as much, or even more, than riding, why not. Do you have any friends/family with riding horses that you could maybe ride now and then to make up for not having the actual lessons anymore?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will enjoy the experiencing of owning a mini. Yeah my mom's friend has a huge horse stable with some horses she said need exercising (she's also a riding instructor, and the groom for the horses in the movie Secretariat.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps. I never really thought of that, though in the past I have worked for a lesson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.