The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on faceybee i have a folder where i upload all my little art sketches and doodles. And today someone i know contacted me asking if i draw dogs, as she thinks my art work is really good and she would like a drawing of her boyfriends Lurcher done for his Christmas.
I'm generally a little nervous, as like most people i'm a heavy critic on my own drawing skills and don't have the greatest confidence. However i have agreed as there is plenty of time before now and Christmas for her to find someone better if i screw up.
I don't think i will charge her. (however i suppose it depends on the final result)
Anyway, i'll update here when i get started.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
That's wonderful for you. If you are going to do it for free, I would still charge her $1.00 so you have a story to go with your work and the acceptance of payment makes you a professional. I would frame the $1.00 as a remembrance of your first commission.

Reactions: loveleighlady

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
I often worry that my work will be good enough to satisfy the "custome". It's part of the territory. Just remember that they hired you for a reason, and that reason is still valid.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i'm still waiting to get a picture from her so i can get started, needless to say i'm pretty eager about it.
In the mean time though, i've made a start to a 5 x 3 ft painting, anyone ever heard of nyan cat? ;D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the pictures.She asked me how much it would cost, so i told her that i'll show her previews first to see whether she's happy with them and if she is then enough to cover postage, but she insists that she wants to pay more. So i told her we will discuss it once we're done. (i despise asking people for money lol)
IMG-20110819-00420.jpg

FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
Yes, those are not good photos. But that's the way it goes at times. You have to make do. Copy them onto your own computer so that you can zoom in and get a closer view (though you will lose resolution)

Is this to be a painting ? pencil drawing? what? you can talk to us here who already do commisssions and ask for price ideas. I think yoiu should charge her something. This way she will value it more. If you give it for free, she may think it is as good as if you atttach a price. This is they way of thinking.

One piece of advice; if you work in a size that is easily framed in ready made frames, this will make it cheaper for her to finish and hang on wall. I often dont' take this very word of advice myself. But, i paint in the size that seems natural.

anyway . . .

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is to be an a4 pencil drawing. If i do have to price it then i thought nothing too expensive (probably £5)
the photo i'm going for is the top one mainly because it's a slightly better quality picture.

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
I don't know what A4 means. Of course, I think in inches. I know, it's way out of use worldwide, but I cant' change.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats on your fist commission! Very exciting. And I agree with tinylily 100% do a painting/picture that's easy to frame. Makes the process a lot easier for your customer if they're going to frame it themselves. In regards to price...I understand not wanting to charge a lot, and asking for money upfront (feels so wierd to put a price on things-i always feel like it may be too much) so if you feel uncomfortable charging what you hope to eventually make on commissions, set your price a lil lower. Especially since it's someone you know. I usually charge 40-60 on pieces but when a coworker asked for a drawing of her boyfriend's dog (sounds familiar lol) I only charged her 30. So it's completely up to you. The only thing that i recommend, though, is to agree on a price before you start. That way it's done and set. If it ends up being a lengthy process and a lot of work goes into it, you may finish with an idea of what you'd like to receive for it, while your customer has another idea of what she'd like to spend. Ends up being a bit of a disappointment. I've made that mistake myself and gipped myself out of quite a bit of money.
So as awkward as it may be, speaking from experience myself, get the hard part out of the way and agree on price.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i finished the drawings last week and sent them away, however she moved back down to her uni before they reached her house so i think she's waiting for someone back home to send them too her. Hope she likes them i fell i done a relatively good job and was pleased with the outcome.
Well i hope she gets them soon and lets me know. unfortunately i only have a sketch that i took a picture of rather than the finished pieces .

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
That's great! I recently started commissions as well, and I usually ask about $10-15, depending on the piece. It really is challenging and a great way to practice new techniques!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts