The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my car, not the truck luckily. It keeps getting flats and slow leaks in the front left tire. I get the tire patched, it has problems again. I get the tires rotated, the one that moves to that spot gets a leak. I get them replaced, and the one that goes in that spot gets a leak or a flat.

I don't know what it could be besides poor conformation LOL.

I'm just griping because I had to pull off the highway halfway through my trip and use the bike pump to pump it back up. This is like the third tire this has happened to, or maybe the fourth.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@My Salty Pony it's just a traditional bike pump, where you put your foot on it to hold it down and then pump it up and down (100 times) to get to where the tire seems good.

• Haha
Reactions: lovetolope

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,514 Posts
@My Salty Pony it's just a traditional bike pump, where you put your foot on it to hold it down and then pump it up and down (100 times) to get to where the tire seems good.
Oh Goodness!!!! :eek: You got a good work out pumping that air I bet, LOL...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Harktak I don't know, it made the tire pressure monitor go off. So it must have been good enough. I suppose I might try to take it in on Friday. I guess tire places would be open then.

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
If you have aluminum rims this is common they develop a hairline crack and weep air.
You did not specify if the tires are being rotated on their rim or if you are removing tires and remounting to the same rim you are experiencing issue with.

If this is happening same location of the car but different rims....
1) how old are your tires? Don't care about how much mileage...how old are the vehicles tires?
2) when did your car last go to a really good front end shop and be checked for something wearing that could be causing this issue?
3) your tires should not be being plugged ...its dangerous.
If the tire is losing air that often you are carrying a hand pump and using it more than 1x in 6 months...you have a problem and one that could cause you to have a serious accident.

Yes, this Friday all stores will be open for business....its Black Friday and known for great specials and deals.
I would invest the time to get the car to the repair shop and wait while they search your issue.
Being this is on a front tire...this could be more than just a inconvenience but life threatening if you have a blowout at speed...
Please be careful! Address this issue immediately with no excuses so you are safest driving your put-put.
🐴....

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
LOL, I think its more of of farrier problem, :ROFLMAO:
You're both wrong. Clearly this car is selenium-deficient. Get a good tire supplement. Also, a car communicator could tell you if there some deep past trauma that is unhealed leading to the flatness. Look into homeopathic treatment if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It wouldn't be the rim if when she has the tires rotated, the wheel that moves to that spot starts giving her problems. My one shot in the dark would be to check the spring, shock absorber, or strut on that side, see if there's something different.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess the problem started when I didn't get a PPE. I got one on the truck, but the car was a lot cheaper, so I thought, "Why spend the money?" OTOH this is such a small problem that I don't know if a PPE would have even found it.

Finding a good farrier is a never-ending struggle over here. The one guy lets too much air out of the tire, the other guy puts too much air in. The next guy never shows up. The one after that says the car has a bad attitude and it isn't his job to train cars -- call him back when I can get it to behave (I had just forgotten to put it in park -- sheesh).

A tire supplement seems like a good idea, but then I run up against the idea that there really isn't any clear scientific evidence to support their use in cars. Sure, selenium might help horses, but if I spent $50 on a selenium supplement for cars, would I just be throwing my money down the drain? And why stop at selenium? Don't forget all of those things that are linked to tired - copper, iron, zinc. Maybe vitamins A & E. And there's this organic all-natural liquid rubber supplement I read about. All of these things work, anecdotally, for some people. But should I spend my money on them? And this is a small, intermittent problem, so how would I even judge if they are working?

• Haha
Reactions: baysfordays

·
Registered
997 Posts
I guess the problem started when I didn't get a PPE. I got one on the truck, but the car was a lot cheaper, so I thought, "Why spend the money?" OTOH this is such a small problem that I don't know if a PPE would have even found it.

Finding a good farrier is a never-ending struggle over here. The one guy lets too much air out of the tire, the other guy puts too much air in. The next guy never shows up. The one after that says the car has a bad attitude and it isn't his job to train cars -- call him back when I can get it to behave (I had just forgotten to put it in park -- sheesh).

A tire supplement seems like a good idea, but then I run up against the idea that there really isn't any clear scientific evidence to support their use in cars. Sure, selenium might help horses, but if I spent $50 on a selenium supplement for cars, would I just be throwing my money down the drain? And why stop at selenium? Don't forget all of those things that are linked to tired - copper, iron, zinc. Maybe vitamins A & E. And there's this organic all-natural liquid rubber supplement I read about. All of these things work, anecdotally, for some people. But should I spend my money on them? And this is a small, intermittent problem, so how would I even judge if they are working?
What, no PPE? What on earth is wrong with you? Do you not understand that you are going to be providing a home for this car for the rest of it's life? Do you want to be stuck with a garage pet? As far as the supplements go - if that car is already showing sigs of tire problems then it's a bit too late to try to fix the issue with supplements. As they say, "no tire no car." I suppose you already bought it and there's nothing you can do about that now though.....I'd be taking on a second job and setting up a tire care bank account for your road partner. And maybe consider getting it a companion - a HEALTHY companion with good tires. Sheesh.

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
So, all silliness aside cause sorry but having issues with tires and keeping air in them is not a laughing matter...
So, excuse the seriousness....

The tire thing is serious and may take some $$ to correct, but being this issue is on a front steering/turning tire it is very serious.
So, in case you are not aware....
Walmart has all brands and sizes of tires with different tread, longevity and to meet the needs from the cheap small vehicle to the large working trucks.
Nearly any brand or model of tire can be ordered online if not in the store and delivered to the store for free.
If you purchase online the store will mount and balance for free which is a substantial savings.
We purchase our tires from Walmart and pay an extra $10 per tire for road hazard coverage which would replace, repair and prorate this issue of a tire-air leak for you. Walmart will not fix what is ailing your front end as they don't do that kind of work, but get the car fixed, put new tires on it at Walmart and then immediately take it for a alignment so your tires ride and last a longer time.

Now back to the silly....your horse keeps throwing a fit from a error in trim or throwing his shoe that needs addressing.
Keep it up and face shooting the horse if you can't find the lameness reason or you leave it to long it becomes a chronic dangerous and hurtful issue.
Right now, sounds you need some new hoof boots to be part of the solution.........

Please, get the car seen.
If you keep getting poor care and excuses maybe taking it to the manufacturer dealership truly needs done...for all you know the car has a recall and this can be addressed along with tire now damaged for nothing! :unsure:
🐴....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts