The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old quarter horse, my first horse I have had her for about 2 months now and it seems like she may be pregnant her attitude has changed and her belly is swelling but however I have also done research on hay belly and possible worms, I cannot tell the difference I am doing everything I can to learn about my horse friend. does anyone have any suggestions on what may be going on I will attach photos to the thread please be friendly on post all I can do is ask questions.

Attachments

• 54.5 KB Views: 34
  • 40.9 KB Views: 27
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    36.1 KB Views: 26
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    36.1 KB Views: 26
  • 53.8 KB Views: 22
  • 53.9 KB Views: 20
  • 49.1 KB Views: 22
  • 48.5 KB Views: 27
  • 48.1 KB Views: 24
  • 51.3 KB Views: 29

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have a 6 year old quarter horse, my first horse I have had her for about 2 months now and it seems like she may be pregnant her attitude has changed and her belly is swelling but however I have also done research on hay belly and possible worms, I cannot tell the difference I am doing everything I can to learn about my horse friend. does anyone have any suggestions on what may be going on I will attach photos to the thread please be friendly on post all I can do is ask questions.
For some reason I cant see the image but as they progress there belly drops lower and the flesh on top of their hips sink in.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
What makes you think she is bred? Has she been with a stallion?

She appears to be lacking in proper nutrition and conditioning.

If you still think she is pregnant, call your vet. They are the only person that will know.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has not been with a stallion as far as I know of I have been feeding her horsemans choice 12% 1 coffee can twice a day and about 1/2 a square bale a day
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not exactly im in a wooded area and just bought 20 more acres behind me and I have been clearing it off for her so in some spots their is grass but it has no nutrients that is where the hay comes into play.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
She has not been with a stallion as far as I know of I have been feeding her horsemans choice 12% 1 coffee can twice a day and about 1/2 a square bale a day
Posted via Mobile Device
If she has not been with a stud then there is no way for her to be pregnant.:?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
From what I understand, she's only had the mare for 2 months. If she was with a stallion prior to that, she definitely could be. Not all previous owners are honest.
Ah, I guess I missed that part. I tend to skim read most things, bad on my part:lol:

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
i do not see any photos. You cannot say a horse is malnutrioned without seeing photos.
Feeding half a square bale a day ? what size of bale ? bales I purchase are 120 lb bales of alfalfa hay , with a min of 14% protein to a max of 17% protein , and fairly high TDN (total digestable nutrient) level.
If you think your mare is pregnant , and is not losing weight, big getting a larger belly, and dropping at the tail head, getting larger teats, ribs do not show, spine does not show, i would get a Vet out to evaluate her. You dont know if she has had the proper nutrition throughout a pregnancy or vaccines.
Please have her checked by a Vet.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I can see the photos fine. I can see a skinny horse with spine showing, and a big belly. As a fully un-qualified internet non-vet I can confidently say that only an on site vet can answer this conundrum.

OP it's great that you have managed to add 20 acres to your land ownership, in time she will benefit mightily from all of this. I do suggest that a vet full check-up for worms, pregnancy, vaccinations, and all other herby-jerbies would benefit you and her. In the long run you will probably save money by prevention rather than cure!

Oh, and most equine vets worth their salt will be able to give you very good feeding advice too :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I also can't see the photos but I am assuming it is due to problems on my end.

Since you haven't had the horse too long there could be many possibilities as to why she is looking the way you say she is. I am going to echo the other members but, I would try and get a vet out as soon as you can.

Giving her a check-up would be quite beneficial.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts