The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your significant other doesn't speak horse. We just automatically start speaking in terms that they don't understand and never seem to learn. How long does it take for them to learn because I swear I've explained things such as the difference between english and western riding what a saddle is what a bridle is.

It's irritating to say the least. :evil:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got mine out there, hes like my little helper hahahaha. He now knows what almost all the tack and grooming supplies are and how to use them. He knows all about and how to lung, pick up/ clean out feet, halter properly lead and will learn how to saddle/ bridle in the coming weeks.. and then its off to the arena =D
He even tags along when I give a lesson, he has learned sooo much an it saves me from extra explaining haha

·
Registered
298 Posts
not my significant other, but before I went riding in Ireland I tried explaining the difference between western riding and english riding to one friend in particular. He kept acting like it was so silly that I take riding lessons. Well needless to say he was in for quite a shock when we got to the stable. He told me "this is different than when I had something to grab on to when I rode as a boy scout".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mine out there, hes like my little helper hahahaha. He now knows what almost all the tack and grooming supplies are and how to use them. He knows all about and how to lung, pick up/ clean out feet, halter properly lead and will learn how to saddle/ bridle in the coming weeks.. and then its off to the arena =D
He even tags along when I give a lesson, he has learned sooo much an it saves me from extra explaining haha
I plan on dragging mine out there after I've got more time working with this new horse. He says he wants to ride...but he thinks he's just going to hop on and ride in to the sunset. He's so smart. Haha

·
Registered
302 Posts
When my husband hangs out with my and my horse friends the conversation always steers towards horses. Hes been around it enough that he understands. He has been to a handful of horse shows as well. We have been together for 4 years and I would say we can have a good conversation about my rides and he can understand pretty well.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My husband grew up on a farm and so has some experience with horses. His two brothers are also genuine ranching cowboys. Lately, however, DH has been giving me grief because I am working on teaching my horse to lope and jog (for WP), rather than trot and canter. He thinks it is ridiculous that I use different terms for lope, canter and gallop because he thinks they are all the same thing. To him, a hand gallop is when you smack the horse on the behind with your hand to get it to move a little faster. Forget about having a conversation about collected, extended or normal walk, trot and canter. Sometimes I think it would be easier if he had no experience at all. As it is, he thinks he knows a whole lot more about horses than he really does and dismisses what he doesn't know as stupid and useless.

A good friend of ours also rides and was trained by a REAL cowboy. For him, there are three gaits; fast, slow and "give 'er snot"

As for my brothers in law, they know everything there is to know about horses and riding so there is no point even trying to carry on a conversation about horses with them. According to them, English riding is for sissies who don't really know how to ride and English horses are not really trained to do anything. A horse that you cannot rope a cow off of is either stupid or untrained.

Sometimes knowing a bit can be a whole lot worse than knowing nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I think that's true for anyone who doesn't speak horse.

I've learned to translate things so non-horse people will know what I'm talking about. If I'm referring to a bay horse, I'll say, "that brown and black one." And so on. :wink: They usually get the gist.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife has a lot more experience with horses than I, but I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't know a term or understand why you do something. When I get interested in something, I go all out to learn it - which is why I cone to places like this. If you have an interest and can accept there is always something new to learn, it should be no problem. Some folks just don't have that.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my boyfriend knows how to shovel poop and bring treats and say yay when we win =] next step is to get him to fork over some money haha

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Ahh, my friend's BF used to jump for Sprenger, and trained with them too.. toured with them and all sorts. And then gave up to farm cows.

He's just inherited the biggest farm in the area, and his father owns a huge posh stables. They've just bought her a super school master.

Why can't that sort of stuff land in my lap?!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sometimes knowing a bit can be a whole lot worse than knowing nothing at all
I agree with this. My bf decided he is now going to get involved which I am thinking YAY finaly!! Well to my despair he is now asking OTHER peoples opinions on things not even asking what I think about it and then critisising (sp?) me on how I do things. For example, No i will not use straw I find it hard to clean and just makes a mess unless some one is foaling, No we will not only feed hay and no grain my horse is worked almost daily unlike the neighbours horses who are pasture pets, No we will not buy hay at that persons place I can only use small bales not the jumbo bales cause we dont have a tractor. Lol he thinks that he has all this great advice now and thinks im an idiot and dont know what im doing!! o_O I admit i dont know everything and I do like learning how to do things differently but some things I just refurse to budge on.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I taught my hub all he knows and sometimes he gets a little froggy with me. He'll also balk when I insist something is dire or necessary. I stay calm with him, he's still a horse babe after 8 years! Thing is he's my riding partner and really great with horses! He listens well and there has been ONE occasion where he was right and I had to eat crow... At least he's learning! Remember you can catch a lot more flies with honey!
Now my mom on the other hand insists on certain things when she knows nothing about horses. Yesterday she was insisting my horse had foundered when he came up lame. I had to describe what founder was and yadda yadda. That kind of gets me going. Especially when she is insistent on a certain topic. Gotta love mom's!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
My wife has a lot more experience with horses than I, but I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't know a term or understand why you do something. When I get interested in something, I go all out to learn it - which is why I cone to places like this. If you have an interest and can accept there is always something new to learn, it should be no problem. Some folks just don't have that.
Got a brother?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
With the horse industry predominately women--80%!!--it just makes finding your soulmate just a little bit harder. Even if you do find a spouse that is horsey (--I did--) only ONE of you will do the horse chores. (It's me,...sigh...)
It's okay for him to know what "gelding" is, just don't call him one! ROFL!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My husband is allergic to hay and dust so generally steers clear of the barn, but often comes to a show for some moral support, and came with me for years to watch the girls horsejudge.

So while I was getting ready for stockshow, he came in as I was watching one of my practice videos... he watched for a few minutes, then said, "Your mare is looking good, but you need to drive her up with your legs so she'll lengthen her stride, then get out of her face, you are too busy with your hands."

He was right, and I looked at him and said, "Baby, you have never been more sexy!!" :D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.