The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just about the internet but it is horse related.

I have my pet peeves, anyone who has read very many of my posts knows that. I'm usually not stupid enough to talk about them in real life to horse people but now I'm upping my game and am going to try my hardest not to kvetch virtually either.

So I am listing them here just to get it all out of my system and then be silent!

1. Breeding for color, especially colors that have a potential to cause health issues (frame, silver dapple, etc.). But also, any time someone puts color or markings before conformation and temperament.

2. Breeding unsound horses because that is what wins, whether that be tiny feet, too-thin bones, crazy temperament, over-dished faces, bulging muscles, or anything else.

3. Hairy legs and feet. Again, it is something many people like looking at, but don't reflect so much about the problems it causes the horse in most climates. (there is a theme ...)

4. Western Pleasure. Nuff said.

5. The popularity of cart and draft horses for riding. Don't know why this bugs me so much.

6. How terrible Mini conformation is, saving the show Minis, a minority. Rarely see anything but clearly defective animals.

7. The way the Saddle Seat show world has distorted and conflated lines of quite distinct and perfectly good breeds until they are practically indistinguishable and all of them pretty useless for anything but Park-style showing -- Arabians, Saddlebreds, Morgans, American Show Horse.

8. Park style riding and driving, period. I have a visceral revulsion against it.

9. The culture of barrel racing, in which flailing your arms and legs like a crazy person, and astonishingly cruel bits, are perfectly normal. I'm not against barrel racing per se, just the acceptance of abusive riding.

10. Keeping horses in stalls with minimal or no turnout. I have a core belief that if you cannot keep an animal -- any animal at all -- in near-optimal conditions for that species, you just shouldn't. Walking down an aisle of a stable where all the horses live in near-darkness in boxes just big enough to turn around in for most of their days is so depressing to me.

I'm sure I have plenty of other gripes, but those are the ones that occur to me without any effort of thought. I am never going to mention them again. You are not going to find me offering my ridiculous unwanted opinions on any of these subjects on this forum. And that is my vow.

Moderators, if this is too inflammatory an OP, just delete it please. I just had to get it all off my chest once.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Wow, let's add our own pet peeves.

11. People who ride a different discipline from you who climb all over you because you don't ride or train like they do . . . when your horse doesn't do what theirs does anyway.

12. People who pile on harsher bits, shorter tie-downs, more cranked tight girths, or any kind of hardware when their horses misbehave rather than figuring out WHY those horses are misbehaving.

13. People who don't feed their horses or get their feet or teeth taken care of.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you won't mention them again? h m m . . . . That's a very hard vow to keep. The nature of Pet Peeves is that they just keep coming back. And this is quite an extensive Smorgasbord of them.
Well, y'all can hold me to it if you catch me breaking my promise. :grin:

Seriously, people are going to do what they want to do, and me jumping up and down like rumplestiltskin isn't going change anybody's mind except about me. I always imagine that my point of view is so researched and rational that once someone has the error of their preferences shown to them, they will gratefully thank me. Hasn't happened yet for some reason.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
15. respond to posters that already have prepared a defence against a non-existent mob

16. continue to not respond to threads where it's obvious that OP doesn't give a hoot about any advice given and continues the same even while complaining that nothing is working (I read these because I learn from them at least).

17. respond to posters where its painstakingly obvious that competition is more important than horse welfare

Hm. I like this thread. Let's get the ugly out!

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
Well, y'all can hold me to it if you catch me breaking my promise. :grin:

Seriously, people are going to do what they want to do, and me jumping up and down like rumplestiltskin isn't going change anybody's mind except about me.
Well, no - not quite. People are going to do what they want to do, but usually they live in a bubble of like-minded people where they have picked up their bad habits. Exposing them to alternative points of view might disabuse them from the notion that what they do is "best practices." Sure, if you rant at someone one-on-one, it's just you. But if you voice your displeasure in a forum, like-minded people will usually hit you with "Likes" and/or add their own two cents in a similar vein.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1) owners who can't be bothered to even attempt to change their practices even though they are slowly killing their horse - ie continuing to free feed in the winter and throw out on lush pasture horses with laminitis because meal feeding is too much work

2) owners who blindly follow some guru or internet trend without checking the references/validity to their horse/ or applying common sense

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
People who post threads without doing any searches. Do you know how many articles, videos, and threads there are out there on hard to catch horses or horses who don't respond to the leg?

"Natural is the only way". Can't have healthy shod feed. Blankets are harmful. Stalling (reasonable amounts) is cruel. Natural remedies vs proven medicine. Still mad about the body worker who told me to feed a teaspoon of a half a dozen different herbs to fix his lameness.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I keep coming back to this, and finally have enough of a list that I feel is worthy of being posted!

1. "Rescues" that bury themselves in over their heads, to the point where they cannot provide basic care (grooming, for instance) or have the time to put training on them to increase their chances of being adopted. I'm particularly peeved at this because my Minnie sat at the rescue for nearly two years, and after six months of being with me in inconsistent work, she is going undersaddle. Minnie did not leave her pasture once while at the rescue, nor have any amount of real halter training. There is no reason for a young horse to sit at a rescue, and not be actively worked with in order to get them adopted, especially when a majority of the horses are in the weight-gain stages rather than training stages. Also, seeing pictures of horses at that rescue still loosing clumps of their winter coat in early summer, and knowing that I spent hours on untangling Minnie's massive knot of a mane, I'm peeved that her rescue didn't make time or utilize the masses of horse people that want to volunteer in order to make these horses more comfortable and appealing to potential adopters! /rant

2. People that ride their senior horses into the ground, even after years and years of happily carrying them around the show ring and/or on the trails. These horses that gave you so much joy should be rewarded with a comfortable retirement or reduced workload, rather than being expected to do the same amount when their joints/bodies just aren't the same as what they were.

3. People that make excuses as to why their horses can't do xyz. Just because you think your horse is head-shy because some mean man abused her, doesn't mean that horse isn't able to work past it and be able to be bridled. There is no reason why a horse, pending real soundness issues, can't be trained to do xyz, even if it takes more time than normal.

4. People that think they know everything about anything. I don't care if you have ridden and been around horses for your entire life, their is always something more to learn.

5. People that allow their horses and other pets to suffer, rather than giving them a comfortable end. I've been around this a little bit too much in the past two months, and it is particularly annoying to me. Horses and pets rely on us to take care of them, even in the end, when that may mean putting them to rest. It is our responsibility as pet owners, and if you can't handle that, think twice about owning a pet.

·
Administrator
36,201 Posts
People who abuse horses

Other than that - well I wake up every Saturday morning and wonder where the week went because suddenly time seems to be flying by way faster than it ever used too.
I seem to be struggling more and more to fit everything in to a day and find the time to think about all the things that matter to me and mine
Life is way too short to spend time worrying about what other people are doing, especially if it makes you angry or irritable or sad.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, no - not quite. People are going to do what they want to do, but usually they live in a bubble of like-minded people where they have picked up their bad habits. Exposing them to alternative points of view might disabuse them from the notion that what they do is "best practices." Sure, if you rant at someone one-on-one, it's just you. But if you voice your displeasure in a forum, like-minded people will usually hit you with "Likes" and/or add their own two cents in a similar vein.
Do you have examples of this happening? I mostly find people just disappear when nobody likes their ideas. If they don't double down, that is.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People who abuse horses

Other than that - well I wake up every Saturday morning and wonder where the week went because suddenly time seems to be flying by way faster than it ever used too.
I seem to be struggling more and more to fit everything in to a day and find the time to think about all the things that matter to me and mine
Life is way too short to spend time worrying about what other people are doing, especially if it makes you angry or irritable or sad.
So very, very true.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
Do you have examples of this happening? I mostly find people just disappear when nobody likes their ideas. If they don't double down, that is.
Well, it's about putting that bug in their ear. There is a reason why commercials are repeated relentlessly. "Hey, there are actually plenty of people who are appalled by high-stepping horses with 40 pounds of metal platforms on their feet - I wonder why?" The difference between this and a commercial is that people here are able to bring their point across with reasoning, not just with slogans.

You're gonna try to reach those who weren't yet exposed yet to sound reasoning, those who haven't heard the arguments before. You won't reach those who come here expecting a "There, there, it's not your fault! Poor you, having to deal with such a difficult horse!"

It's also difficult to abandon long-held beliefs and admit to it in a public forum. Nobody likes to find out they've been wrong for a long time - it doesn't feel good. Maybe some of them sneakily do better in the privacy of their own lives.

In the end, it's a discussion forum, not an echo chamber. If this is only a forum where we tell each other how awesome we are with our horses...well, that's exceedingly boring.

And, let's not forget the uncountable number of lurkers who may be doing stupid things, but thanks to being lurkers never have no admit to it. They still need to see sound reasoning and best practices - you'll never hear about having educated a lurker, but there's always a good chance. I'm not a lurker, but I sometimes read a thread without participating and simply thinking, "Well, there's a point well made - I should keep that in mind!"

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I despise that so many horse people believe that they NEED what people are selling. There is no “consider the source”, or “be careful who you ask”. If one asks a saddle fitter if their saddle fits, or a saddle seller if they need a new saddle, what do they THINK they are going to say?? It is the same with chiropractors(where there is no way to prove any proposed adjustment).

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This is just about the internet but it is horse related.

I have my pet peeves, anyone who has read very many of my posts knows that. I'm usually not stupid enough to talk about them in real life to horse people but now I'm upping my game and am going to try my hardest not to kvetch virtually either.

So I am listing them here just to get it all out of my system and then be silent!

1. Breeding for color, especially colors that have a potential to cause health issues (frame, silver dapple, etc.). But also, any time someone puts color or markings before conformation and temperament.

2. Breeding unsound horses because that is what wins, whether that be tiny feet, too-thin bones, crazy temperament, over-dished faces, bulging muscles, or anything else.

3. Hairy legs and feet. Again, it is something many people like looking at, but don't reflect so much about the problems it causes the horse in most climates. (there is a theme ...)

4. Western Pleasure. Nuff said.

5. The popularity of cart and draft horses for riding. Don't know why this bugs me so much.

6. How terrible Mini conformation is, saving the show Minis, a minority. Rarely see anything but clearly defective animals.

7. The way the Saddle Seat show world has distorted and conflated lines of quite distinct and perfectly good breeds until they are practically indistinguishable and all of them pretty useless for anything but Park-style showing -- Arabians, Saddlebreds, Morgans, American Show Horse.

8. Park style riding and driving, period. I have a visceral revulsion against it.

9. The culture of barrel racing, in which flailing your arms and legs like a crazy person, and astonishingly cruel bits, are perfectly normal. I'm not against barrel racing per se, just the acceptance of abusive riding.

10. Keeping horses in stalls with minimal or no turnout. I have a core belief that if you cannot keep an animal -- any animal at all -- in near-optimal conditions for that species, you just shouldn't. Walking down an aisle of a stable where all the horses live in near-darkness in boxes just big enough to turn around in for most of their days is so depressing to me.

I'm sure I have plenty of other gripes, but those are the ones that occur to me without any effort of thought. I am never going to mention them again. You are not going to find me offering my ridiculous unwanted opinions on any of these subjects on this forum. And that is my vow.

Moderators, if this is too inflammatory an OP, just delete it please. I just had to get it all off my chest once.
Can I just say... please don't vow to not offer your "ridiculous unwanted opinions" on those subjects anymore!!!!! People need to hear the truth on all these things, repetitively, from anyone who can take the time to tell them it's wrong. Even the people who don't listen still need to be told. Especially on an online forum like this where in the future other people who don't know better will see your responses while lurking and learn how to better take care of their horses.

Impressive list though. :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,112 Posts
Ah ha ha ha! Am laughing with you Avna, not at you :cool:

Seriously, people are going to do what they want to do, and me jumping up and down like rumplestiltskin isn't going change anybody's mind except about me. I always imagine that my point of view is so researched and rational that once someone has the error of their preferences shown to them, they will gratefully thank me. Hasn't happened yet for some reason.
Seriously though, sorry then, sincerely on my part, if I haven't ever thanked you for sharing your opinion, because I sure value it! Yeah, I sometimes find it really hard not to 'go Rumplestiltskin' (haha!) about some things that are said/responded, and I agree it's best to avoid that, but that's quite different to just giving your opinion, suggesting stuff, and I for one hope you don't quit doing that!

Alas, while there are some subjects that I feel I have researched thoroughly & feel very sure of, I'm not as 'imaginative' there on many subjects as you sound ;-) but whether you feel you're absolutely right & rational etc or not, I don't think that is what necessarily 'wins the day'. I think that many people may or may not heed or appreciate other's answers at the time, or ever, but some will seriously consider, and even if they don't agree or understand at the time, the information is out there to weigh up. And it may well help someone, someone's horse, even if not the intended... victim :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.