1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
519 Posts
That is so slick! Now I want one too - did you enter their giveaway? If we don't win, I am going to figure out how to make one. ;)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My dad makes a new set of yards for each time we upgrade floats. At first we only had one yard, but as we got more horses we moved up to two joined yards, and he will be making three yards out of a new system for our new 3 horse angle load.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
He normally makes panels out of steel - Two rails. They join together with steel pins.

He is going to try out a new design on the new yards - Each panel will have am saller steel rectangle that swings out without legs to make 1 panel the size of 2 - Easier storage and bigger yards.

He makes his own brackets to mount the panels on the side of the float.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I entered :D Stacieandtheboys- I'm the same way, I'm constantly entering things but have yet to win anything haha

Wild_spot - do you have any pics of the yards your dad makes?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I don't have any of them set up - But here is a shot of our old float with enough panels to make 2 decent size yards mounted on the side.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Too fancy pants for me.

I just use 1/2" steel rods and a single strand of electrical fencing. Hook up my portable fencer if there are other horses around and I'm good to go. Any size, any shape, any terrain except bedrock and pavement. Though I already have a thought in my head how I could do those as well if need be. If it's just my horses and nothing "scarey" around, I don't even bother with the fencer and will tie the fenceline around trees or whatever is available. And if I go camping, I go with a tent, not a truck, so I'm certainly not going to carry around these panels! :lol: Hopefully next summer, we'll be doing that camping thing.

I don't like that these portable fences don't have a gate built in to them. Too much work to take the horse in and out. Maybe the upscale ones do have a gate. Or maybe I didn't watch enough of the video. I stopped after 4 minutes. Nice idea about the drop legs. And nicer than electric for more than one kind or size of animal.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't take my horses camping often enough to warrant getting one of these... but when we do go camping, I just pop up some fiberglass poles and electric wire... Usually, I don't even bother with putting electricity to it -- all of them respect the fence well enough without it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think I would be more worried about my horses in a pen than the way I do them. Have any of you had a problem with horses escaping? Just wondering because I always just use a picket (highline) line for my horses. I've only ever had one escape, and that was because my sister forgot to use a bull snap leadrope so it just got unclipped from the horse's halter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We have one, and I like it A LOT! Comes in handy at shows, esp when they say 'oh no the stalls are free' and they turn out to be 50 or 60 bucks a pop! well worth it imo!

Nate

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This isnt a new concept. I dont like how its attached to the trailer, and it looks like it has to be on very flat ground. I would just buy a portable electric fence pasture kit, or make my own.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
This isnt a new concept. I dont like how its attached to the trailer, and it looks like it has to be on very flat ground. I would just buy a portable electric fence pasture kit, or make my own.
Mine do not have to be on flat ground as they are more user friendly than this system. Competed endurance for many years.

I will not use an electric system. My horses are safer in the panels - mostly as it keeps out strange horses wandering around camp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.