The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to learn how to barrel race (not competitively, just for fun), but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. I just got my first horse and I know that he he is fast. His previous owner used him for roping, but wanted to get a different roping horse due to Poco being nervous around the chute. He's fine, however, for trail riding. I am friends with his previous owner and he knows the barrel pattern and he is willing to help me with my riding. I'm just not sure if I am too old to start something like this or not and how do I go about doing it? I am 22 and have never regularly rode in the past. I have, however, taken a couple of professional lessons and was told that I do have a lot of natural ability. I would also maybe like to get into showing, at least on a small scale. Again, I don't have a clue how to go about doing that either. I guess that I'm just not sure if I'm getting in over my head with all of this. Advice?

P.S. I live in eastern North Dakota, so horses aren't quite as big here as they are on the western half of the state or down south. Not really sure if that impacts how I can get involved.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are never to old to start! If the previous owner is willing to help you take it. The more help the better. There is a lot more to barrel racing then knowing the pattern, lots of slow work. Go in YouTube and watch Fallon Taylor's videos they are really helpful. I wish you luck, barrel racing is so much fun and rewarding!:)

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Not sure how close you are to Grand Forks, but I'd go check out this show (go and watch first) if you are interested in showing and doing barrels.

Red River Valley Horse Show Association - Home

Too old? My dear .... Leann Rust was the 2011 rookie of the year for the WPRA at the age of 53. You are never too old, espeically at the young age of 22!!

Continue taking professional lessons in whatever event you would like to learn more about. Lessons are ALWAYS helpful.

I've been riding (Western) since I was 2 years old and I routinely take reining lessons and hunter/jumper lessons. You can always keep learning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I walked my horse through a barrel pattern the other day, but he was a little leerie of it. Probably because he's not quite used to me yet since I just got him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think anybody is ever too old to ride! In fact, I think it's great for you the older you get! There are legitimate studies done with "older people" and riding and how beneficial it is... But, 22 is NOT the type of "old" the studies worked with, haha. You're not old at all! Most pros don't even get really started until they're like 19-20 (and even then, they're still usually "rookies"). If your lil' guy gets spooky with stuff, there are TONS of "despooking" clinics and "despooking" techniques you can adhere to whether through books, websites, youtube, or trainers. It's probably best you do all that jazz through a trainer, though (just a personal opinion... I'd probably work through a trainer)! And as long as you've got the willpower to work things through, I definitely don't think you're getting in over your head! ESPECIALLY if you've already got a trainer! I think that it takes more than just knowing the patterns to barrel race. I think barrel racing is A LOT of technique and requires A LOT of training on both the rider and the horse's part!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.