The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been debating with myself wether or not to post this and I have decided it is appropriate to post this because I do believe I am making the right decissions with my horse. When I first got Chinga, I wouldn't call myself an experianced rider, but I had dealt with bolting and bucking problems before. But for a first horse that I was going to be working with every single day and practically "Flying Solo". He was most likely to experianced for me (or I suppose better words would be un-experianced). When I first rode him he was excellent, sure he had a dodgy gaits, but getting him on a good feed, cleaning him up, getting his feet done and putting weight on him could easily fix the problems he had. He just needed basic work, he didn't know much. He only bucked once in the 12/13 rides I had on him before I made my dicission. Then daddy got me my first pony *16.3 OTTB*. I'd always given the advice not to get an ottb as your first horse, but this horse was magic even though he wasn't the perfect riding horse I really liked him :)One day I arrived home, sitting on the lounge was a saddle, saddle blanket and bridle. Dad told me I was going to ride my horse.

Two weeks later, the well mannered horse wore off. He'd been drugged. The worst mistake, buying a drugged horse. He was horrible, I'd go home from the paddock in tears but I kept telling myself that I could fix him. I got myself seriously hurt twice. But I didn't give up. He threw me so many times, every ride he would bolt, rear and buck. But I told myself he wasn't being naughty he was just adjusting, I was told that by h is owners as well. Although after a month of having him the behaviour was still there.

The behaviour still hasn't gone, we have good days but most ride involves bucking, bolting and rearing all crammed into one. So, I finally asked for something to be done. Dads told me so many times, we're going to sell him. I've survived a year with this horse. His gotten amazingly better and I am NOT selling him. So we've got a trainer coming out to work with him, things we'll go from there. He's on calming stuff, lunged an hour before riding *Thats if I can get him to lunge!). But I will not give up, everythings up to the trainer, he may be sent away for 6 months to be re-broken in, the trainer may let me do the riding and work with us. He may be sent to the farm for spelling for 2 years, since he was never actually spelled but..

"I will try to fix you". I haven't given up yet, and I will keep on fighting till the end. Because "Tears stream down my face, when I loose something I can't replace".

Cold Play - Fix You.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
aw im sorry maddie. hope he gets better for you. after all the work you have put into him

·
Registered
671 Posts
That's terrible.. to have a horse drugged like that, what irresponsible sellers.

Sounds like your on the right track with the trainer and getting help. Never be afraid to ask for help! And most of the time when you do ask for help, people will be more than willing to do so. Some people even LOVE helping others with their problems.. specially when it comes to horses. ;)

Good luck and I hope things get better from here onwards.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My first horse was(is) an OTTB. The first year was really hard, but we made each other better, and now, six years later, we are both better for the year or two of hard work. He still has days were he is hot and all he wants to do is run. He still occasionally will give me a vicious buck. But we have also had good rides that I wouldn't have thought possible in that first year of endless circles, just trying to slow him down. Things get better, and in the end you'll be a better horsewoman and he will be a better horse.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Spelling = Turning out for a break.

I have great sympathy for you Chinga. It's horrible finding out that someone has done something as despicable as selling a drugged horse to a begginner. But - hasn't everyone here been telling you to get a trainer from the moment you started posting?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and I have always had a trainer, but I've never actually gotten Chinga a trainer. Its always been a trainer for both of us, mostly working on me. Now he is getting a trainer, someone who is going to completly work on him. Honestly, I am happy with the job I've done with him, at least we get some rides that are partly rideable. If anyway has noticed, yes you've all seen heaps of video of him and he has been well behaved, but that fotage is always from the few good rides and usually in the good rides with Aamelia.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Just to clear something up, there is no drug that is commonly available that will significantly change a horses disposition for two weeks after being administered. I doubt there is one that will change a horse for two days. I'm glad your getting some help with the horse but don't blame it on the former owners if you rode him for two weeks before you started having problems with him.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's good you aren't giving up! You aren't the only one who has gone through stuff like this! Once you have fought through this you will be an AMAZING rider. It's very good that you have a trainer, I hope everything goes well and it was not your fault, which is pretty much what the person above me is saying.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Man, I hope you can change him, I feel really bad for you. Good luck here darlin'.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Good on you for not giving up on him! There's nothing better than getting the rewards from sticking with your difficult horse. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to clear something up, there is no drug that is commonly available that will significantly change a horses disposition for two weeks after being administered. I doubt there is one that will change a horse for two days. I'm glad your getting some help with the horse but don't blame it on the former owners if you rode him for two weeks before you started having problems with him.
They admitted to drugging him. It wasn't just a "common drug". His trainer was very high in the race horse training.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I never knew that about Chinga. That is horrible that he was drugged, and if you had known that he was drugged before you got him, you would never have gotten him in the first place.

But now I'm sure that you love him, and that you would find it very difficult to sell him now that you know him, even if he is very difficult and sometimes even scary.

I'm glad that you have stuck with him through thick and thin, and willing to work through his problems. That is the true showings of friendship, which is very important in riding and having a good relationship with your horse.

Well done with all the work you have put into Chinga. I'm sure if I was in your shoes, I'd also hold fast and work with my horse through everything. :wink:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank-you, I cannot say I wouldn't have got him because if I knew he was drugged. Because I am waiting for the experiance to begin training with him and a trainer.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
have to agree wiht you, flamingauburnmustang. i would def stick to Pumpkin. it does show the bond between a horse and owner, and maddie has a tight bond with Chinga

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Jalah, he's trainer is hopefully coming out on Friday. That that doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger.

I will try to fix you, I will not fail.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.