The Horse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had another post of here asking for help identifying this bridal, ever since then I鈥檝e been trying to do some more research on it! Basically to sum it up, some family gave me tack they no longer use and some of it is from their mother who passed away and was a rodeo queen. They do not know much about horses(except their daughter who rode English when she was younger) and this bridal came to me with the bit upside down馃ぃ. I found out it鈥檚 an older(possibly vintage type) bridal called a poco Lena? I found a picture on the web of a sterling silver bridal that looks IDENTICAL to mine, except the buckels are different馃 I tested the parts I believed to be silver with a magnet and they did not attract it, but the buckles did. Also on the other bridal, on buckles were a little anchor imprint(I鈥檓 assuming to mark that it was sterling silver) I also tested it with an ice cube and it melted very fast. I want to sell it if it鈥檚 not worth anything, but if it is in fact silver I may be interested in cleaning it up and using it for shows. Does anyone have any advice, or knowledge. Or maybe a way I can test for it being silver? I might also add it does have the appearance of tarnish, I鈥檓 not sure it shows up well in the pictures but it has a tint of yellowish browny tarnish color
Hood Wood Bumper Bicycle tire Cable

This is my bridal

Hood Wood Bumper Bicycle tire Cable
Wood Wire fencing Twig Electrical wiring Cable
Wood Sunglasses Wire Eyewear Bag
Wood Wire fencing Twig Electrical wiring Cable

And this is a real silver one:
Font Symbol Circle Symmetry Metal

Tableware Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Cable

Product Gas Audio equipment Metal Nickel

Registered
3 ways I test - magnet. Non magnetic if real silver
Ice cube, silver melts an ice cube at an extremely fast rate. Buff it, real silver always buffs up to a shine. Look at the cloth, if residue left, a sign it's real.

Registered
So I had another post of here asking for help identifying this bridal, ever since then I鈥檝e been trying to do some more research on it! Basically to sum it up, some family gave me tack they no longer use and some of it is from their mother who passed away and was a rodeo queen. They do not know much about horses(except their daughter who rode English when she was younger) and this bridal came to me with the bit upside down馃ぃ. I found out it鈥檚 an older(possibly vintage type) bridal called a poco Lena? I found a picture on the web of a sterling silver bridal that looks IDENTICAL to mine, except the buckels are different馃 I tested the parts I believed to be silver with a magnet and they did not attract it, but the buckles did. Also on the other bridal, on buckles were a little anchor imprint(I鈥檓 assuming to mark that it was sterling silver) I also tested it with an ice cube and it melted very fast. I want to sell it if it鈥檚 not worth anything, but if it is in fact silver I may be interested in cleaning it up and using it for shows. Does anyone have any advice, or knowledge. Or maybe a way I can test for it being silver? I might also add it does have the appearance of tarnish, I鈥檓 not sure it shows up well in the pictures but it has a tint of yellowish browny tarnish color
View attachment 1123169
This is my bridal

View attachment 1123169 View attachment 1123170 View attachment 1123171 View attachment 1123170
And this is a real silver one: View attachment 1123176
View attachment 1123177
View attachment 1123175
I'm pretty sure that it is not real silver even though it might seem like it. It really depends what you paid for it.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know about the rings, but the piece up top is silver I would bet money on.

As far as selling it depending on if it is silver or not, why have the dependence? If you like it, use it; it is a very pretty show bridle. If you don鈥檛 like it, then all the silver in the world doesn鈥檛 make it better to show in.

If I was riding a particularly fine faced horse I would love that. Anything else though I wouldn鈥檛 necessarily. I think the delicate feeling of it would make a coarse head look even more so. Yet, I love a simple one ear on any bridle horse.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know about the rings, but the piece up top is silver I would bet money on.

As far as selling it depending on if it is silver or not, why have the dependence? If you like it, use it; it is a very pretty show bridle. If you don鈥檛 like it, then all the silver in the world doesn鈥檛 make it better to show in.

If I was riding a particularly fine faced horse I would love that. Anything else though I wouldn鈥檛 necessarily. I think the delicate feeling of it would make a coarse head look even more so. Yet, I love a simple one ear on any bridle horse.
I really like that bridle I am actually looking for one just like it

Registered
I hope you find one @20190134! I think it鈥檚 really pretty. My main horse is too coarse for something that fancy, but my filly would look pretty.

I saw the most beautiful set up recently. If I had a lot of money I would be looking for something like what I saw, and then probably go and break it. Lol. Sometimes pretty is unpractical鈥 this one you want does look practical.

Registered
Horse loving mama
The Plate under the split ear is real silver. If you want the headstall to be a bit more fancier you can add silver buckles, its super easy.

Registered
Horse loving mama
Heres just a few buckles as an example as what you can change out the old buckles for. Just measure the headstall for the right size and go shopping.They are super easy to change out.
Wood Musical instrument Tool Watch Gas
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Symbol Nickel
Body jewelry Rectangle Font Jewellery Silver

Registered
I hope you find one @20190134! I think it鈥檚 really pretty. My main horse is too coarse for something that fancy, but my filly would look pretty.

I saw the most beautiful set up recently. If I had a lot of money I would be looking for something like what I saw, and then probably go and break it. Lol. Sometimes pretty is unpractical鈥 this one you want does look practical.
Thanks so much and good luck with everything!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Everyone for your responses! I do like the bridal, and I might try to clean it up to use it! I did just get a brand new show bridal that I鈥檝e been meaning to use so that鈥檚 why I may sell it. But I鈥檒l try it on my boy to see if it鈥檚 a good fit! There is someone who鈥檚 interested in buying it, and I just need a ballpark price馃ぃ just in case lol does $40 (American dollars) sound reasonable? I don鈥檛 want to rip anyone off, and I also don鈥檛 want to way undersell it. That could be way too high of a price. But I do think it鈥檚 very pretty. So I very well may keep it! I did do the magnet test on all the pieces, and none of them were magnetic, except the buckles. As well as the ice test, and it melted pretty fast. So I鈥檓 thinking it could just be silver plated馃し鈥嶁檧锔廔t鈥檚 not that big of a deal if it鈥檚 not worth anything, I just thought it was interesting, and maybe a cool find! Thank you everyone!!

Registered
OP, if you do decide to sell, a gentle suggestion: it's a bridle, not a bridal. If you list it spelled that way you're going to get a lot of people trying to take you for a ride. In your first post, a member expressed interest in it if you decided to sell, and she knows her stuff. It might make sense to connect with her for a fair sale. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OP, if you do decide to sell, a gentle suggestion: it's a bridle, not a bridal. If you list it spelled that way you're going to get a lot of people trying to take you for a ride. In your first post, a member expressed interest in it if you decided to sell, and she knows her stuff. It might make sense to connect with her for a fair sale. Good luck!
Oh whoops! Sometimes I don鈥檛 pay attention to how I spell things!馃ぃ Thank you for the reminder!! She is actually interested in buying it and wants to know my price so I鈥檓 trying to figure out a fair deal for her:)

Registered
It looks to me to be a quality piece, and I love the old Poco Bueno style bridles! There were many vintage quality pieces made in this style, but most modern replicas are unfortunately cheaply made with low quality leather and tin "silver" - those aren't as ornate as this one and the tin typically rusts/discolors with age. The anchor is North & Judd's stamp, who I believe made quality hardware (I also have a headstall with this anchor, but mine is buckstitched; both the leather and hardware on mine is nice).

Looks to be in great shape as well!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts