The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am only 14 I really want to become a vet and I would like to know the requirements, pay, etc of being a vet... Also, I live in Alberta and I would like to know the closest universities/colleges close

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt you to do some research yourself. It isn't difficult, but I'll point you to the Canadian vet schools that are available to Albertans (that's where I'm at too!!)

The Student Doctor Network forum is also helpful, and it a good place to look for advice, even though it is primarily American school queries from there.

Calgary: Vet home page | Faculty of Veterinary Medicine | University of Calgary

Saskatchewan: http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/

SDN (I hope it's ok to link to another forum!!): Pre-Veterinary | Student Doctor Network

Both schools have entrance requirements listed and I would recommend talking to your own school councillor for extra answers that you can't find on these sites.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
One of the biggest things that schools will look for is experiance with animals. I've been interning with vets since I was 10, and I am a farm manager now for my farm. Read, learn. Take advanced science and math. And also, you have to have VERY good people skills. It's not just the animals.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
55 Posts
its a lottttt of schooling. you have to be 100% focused on your school work. in high school - take as many science/biology and math and chemistry classes as you can. and do WELL in them - even just reading equine anatomy books will help you in the long. just constantly be learning right now. theres usually a two year prevet program and 4 year veterinary course after the prevet courses. and vet school is normally very hard to get into so make sure you do well in high school so you do well in your prevet courses and can get into your vet courses easily. :eek:) good luck sweetie.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone! I am currently looking to volunteer at a vet clinic near my house. And I have always done pretty good in Science and really good in math (in the 90%'s). I've been looking at highschools to see which ones would be best and I'm looking for some scholarships to help me pay for all of the schooling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.