The Horse Forum banner

What color, gender, and height do you think the foal will be?

• Tobiano (50%)

• Not tobiano (50%)

• Dun (50%)

• Not dun (50%)

• nd1 (50%)

• Not nd1 (50%)

• Black base color (50%)

• Red base color (50%)

• Male

• Female

• 13 hands

• 13.1 hands

• 13.2 hands

• 13.3 hands

• 14 hands

• 14.1 hands

• 14.2 hands

• 14.3 hands

• 15 hands

• 15.1 hands

• 15.2 hands

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Icelandic mare, Frökk, due to foal in July and I wanted to create a thread on it after I was inspired by other foaling threads.
Frökk was bred in August and I have been anxiously awaiting the foal ever since. Frökk, the mother, is a little, 14 hand black Icelandic mare with nd1. Her genetics are Ee, nd1/nd2. She came from Iceland, and is first prize.

The father is Stúdent. He is a 14.1 hand red dun tobiano Icelandic stallion with a cute snip (genetics ee, aa, D/nd2, TO/n). Stúdent has had a few other foals in Iceland, and they have all been colts.

Paternal grandfather is Álffinnur (14 hands). He has sired 176 offspring (84 mares, 92 geldings and stallions)

Paternal grandmother is Orka. She was a red dun mare who stood 13.3 hands tall. She died at 24 years old with a foal by her side and had 13 foals in her lifetime (6 mares, 7 geldings and stallions)

Maternal grandfather is Krákur, a homozygous black Icelandic stallion who is 14 hands tall. He has had 678 offspring (318 mares, 360 stallions and geldings)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh, how lovely! :love: Icelandics are my absolute favorite. (Don't tell my grade pony that, of course...Icelandics were out of my price range this time around and I was a little nervous to own one as a first horse with little support for gaited breeds around here.) But, someday!

I road an Icelandic through lava fields in Hella, Iceland back in 2019 and just fell in love. Like was said, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. I began looking up how to buy one as soon as I was home.

Anyway, can't wait to follow your thread! I guessed Tobiano, Not Dun, Red Base, 13.3 Filly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gorgeous lineages - can’t wait to see. Have you seen this? Coat Color Calculator
Yes I have! That is where I discovered what colors the foal could be. The problem is there are so many options. The probability is:

6.25% black
6.25% black dun
6.25% black tobiano
6.25% black dun tobiano
6.25% black with nd1
6.25% black dun with nd1
6.25% black tobiano with nd1
6.25% black dun tobiano with nd1
6.25% red
6.25% red dun
6.25% red tobiano
6.25% red dun tobiano
6.25% red with nd1
6.25% red dun with nd1
6.25% red tobiano with nd1
6.25% red dun tobiano with nd1

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, how lovely! :love: Icelandics are my absolute favorite. (Don't tell my grade pony that, of course...Icelandics were out of my price range this time around and I was a little nervous to own one as a first horse with little support for gaited breeds around here.) But, someday!

I road an Icelandic through lava fields in Hella, Iceland back in 2019 and just fell in love. Like was said, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. I began looking up how to buy one as soon as I was home.

Anyway, can't wait to follow your thread! I guessed Tobiano, Not Dun, Red Base, 13.3 Filly.
That is how I fell in love with Icelandics too. Years ago I went to Iceland to ride and couldn't help but bring some back with me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Gorgeous photos! So I went with Tobiano, red base, female (girl power!) and minimum 14 hands.

What are your thoughts for names?

Wishing your mare a safe foaling!

Reactions: fireandicehorse

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes I have! That is where I discovered what colors the foal could be. The problem is there are so many options. The probability is:

6.25% black
6.25% black dun
6.25% black tobiano
6.25% black dun tobiano
6.25% black with nd1
6.25% black dun with nd1
6.25% black tobiano with nd1
6.25% black dun tobiano with nd1
6.25% red
6.25% red dun
6.25% red tobiano
6.25% red dun tobiano
6.25% red with nd1
6.25% red dun with nd1
6.25% red tobiano with nd1
6.25% red dun tobiano with nd1
Very cool! My guess is black tobiano 14h.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gorgeous photos! So I went with Tobiano, red base, female (girl power!) and minimum 14 hands.

What are your thoughts for names?

Wishing your mare a safe foaling!
Thanks! For names, I am thinking something starting with an Fr, and an Icelandic name of course. If it is a good name, it doesn't have to be an F, though. The reason I am thinking Fr is because along the maternal lineage there is an F theme.
mom: Frökk (bold)
mom's mom: Frigg (wife of odin & goddess of the sky)
mom's mom's mom: Fjöður (feather)
mom's mom's mom's mom: Friða (pretty one)

For a mare, I like the names:
Freyja (goddess of love, beauty, & fertility)
Amíra (princess) (Frökk's dad is often referred to as the king because of his regal aura, and she inherited it from him)

For a stallion, I like the names:
Frer (frost/ice)
Frami (glory/fame)
Frosti (frost)
Atlas (titan supporting earth & heaven)

I am completely open to suggestions, though, and often an idea strikes me only after I have seen the horse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will be my first foal, so I am quite nervous. Does anyone have pregnancy and foal raising advice? My plan is to move Frökk up to a pasture (without fescue) with an older gelding when she is about 2 months away from being due and then keeping her there until the foal is weaned. Once the foal is a yearling, I will bring it to a large paddock near my house and start low level doing ground work. Any suggestions or comments to this plan? I want to give this foal the best life possible.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
This will be my first foal, so I am quite nervous. Does anyone have pregnancy and foal raising advice? My plan is to move Frökk up to a pasture (without fescue) with an older gelding when she is about 2 months away from being due and then keeping her there until the foal is weaned. Once the foal is a yearling, I will bring it to a large paddock near my house and start low level doing ground work. Any suggestions or comments to this plan? I want to give this foal the best life possible.
My mare is about to have her third and last foal, it'll be my first! I wanna say 3months before due date is when you're supposed to take them off fescue, @Tazzie knows more about that than me as she dealt with it first hand. As far as advice, I've bought a few books "Blessed are the Broodmares" and "The Complete Book of Foaling" for info on pregnany and foaling. As far as after the foal is born training wise, depends on you, Ive heard people say to leave them be until they're older, weaning/yearling age and Ive heard people say mess with them (handling) from day 1. I think it depends on you, your mare, your foal, and overall situation. I've joined a ton of groups on facebook and have learned so much!
Best of luck! Look foward to seeing your foal!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Hello! So we just dealt with the fescue issue, and what a headache it is. I don’t envy you having to go through that now. Our vet had us pull our mare at least 90 days prior to foaling. To be safe, we took our mare off on December 31st with her day 342 being a week ago today. She foaled on 4-3-21, and it was a super easy delivery. She hasn’t seemed to have a shortage of milk either (both major issues with fescue and pregnant mares). Ours isn’t full fescue, but enough we wanted to be very careful with it. I highly recommend taking her off at least 90 days (3 months) from her due date. It’s very worth it in the end!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts