The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If land and money were no issue, what would be your ideal pasture set-up?

In the wayyy future, I might try constructing something. I was thinking of a paddock-paradise, but I don't know if that is actually "better" (for the "average", healthy horse) or just a fad right now. Any experinces with it?

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Right where I am plopped for retirement is my ideal pasture - all 24+ acres. I knew it was ideal when it was for sale but I had no idea just how ideal it actually is, until we moved onto it and built everything.

The natural drainage on this land is amazing. We are the second highest spot in the county. Even during the Nashville flood of 2010, when it rained “40 days and 40 nights”, we barely had mud and were dried out in a week.

It was already perimeter fenced but I still managed to spend 15K in cross-fencing. The horses have always had access to about 21 acres but I wanted to section some smaller spaces off for medical emergencies, for when I had to gather everyone up close to the barn for a vet or farrier, or if we had an ice storm and I had to shut them out of the main pastures.

“They“ will pry this property out of my cold dead hands before I would leave it willfully. Even on the very worst weather days and there is no sun, this is STILL a beautiful place to behold from any direction.
CAF510CD-9225-482C-B55C-26D17F81E747.jpeg

0A49385C-A40A-4F35-9883-571C7DCDE585.jpeg

881BCECC-B151-4B9F-A1E6-178F87ABA21D.jpeg

F263723C-C891-464A-9AFB-F071FCB1D22B.jpeg

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right where I am plopped for retirement is my ideal pasture - all 24+ acres. I knew it was ideal when it was for sale but I had no ideal just how ideal it actually is.

The natural drainage on this land is amazing. We are the second highest spot in the county. E en with the Nashville flood of 2010, when it rained “40 days and 40 nights”, we barely had mud and were dried out in a week.

It was already perimeter fenced but I still managed to spend 15K in cross-fencing. The horses have always had access to about 21 acres but I wanted to section some smaller spaces off for medical emergencies, for when I had to gather everyone up close to the barn for a vet or farrier, or if we had an ice storm and I had to shut them out of the main pastures.

They will pry this property out of my cold dead hands before I would leave it willfully. Even on the very worst weather days and there is no sun, this is STILL a beautiful place to behold from any directio.
View attachment 1107742

View attachment 1107743

View attachment 1107744

View attachment 1107745
Yes, it is very beautiful.

How much did that cost, if you don't mind my asking?

I live in the suburbs where land is not a thing. For 24+ acres, that's be 3-5 million. And that's considered "cheap!" oof I can only hope to retire rich...

I was thinking about TN or WV where land is more available. I know there is land in other places, but I can't live in TX or anywhere else hot. I've done that and nearly died. I liked SC, but even that got a little too hot. I love "traditional" southern food though, and I miss it. "Southern food" here is any food just deep-fried in cheap oil. Ew. Nothing else is really the same, especially not the spices.

I digress.

There are pros and cons to suburbs vs country. I'd have to think about it... I probably have to stick boarding, but I think that's okay for my needs right now. I would like to have them in my backyard, but almost everyone would. These are looong away plans. I'm still "in the nest", if you will, with my parents. They aren't pressuring me to leave... yet. Besides the mortgage rates, I'm not sure how "good" the housing economy is right now...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Right where I am now, A nice big run in in the back third of the barn, one on the north side and one on the south so in the summer a good cross breeze on most days, Each run in is about 15 x 36 feet.Two good sized pastures, actually more than they need but can be locked off when desired and a nice smaller one for limited pasture. A stall in the barn when they need/want it. A sand ring at the back of one pasture for schooling and some nice trails for riding.

The only thing I would like is to help with the mud in wet weather, some sand or gravel in the south barnyard and through the gateways.

·
Banned
904 Posts
I’m on 169 acres, 90 of it bush with sand. The horses get choose where to go, on the river paddock with slight hill, the flats with a creek, the bush with swamp or the other flats with dams. All paddocks have water and trees. The horses favourites are both of the flats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts