The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!
A year ago I saved a filly (taken from an abusive situation and ended up at the slaughter house- she was teeny tiny and skinny and wasn’t worth her own price in meat, so I took her on for $5).
I don’t have any history on her at all, don’t have any details, don’t know her breed (apparently the place she came from said half warmblood, wouldn’t believe anything they say however) exact age- quite literally anything.
When she first came home we vet checked her and they estimated between 9-12 months.
It’s now been a year, and while she’s come in leaps and bounds from where she was, I’m still super unsure about her breeding, estimated height, or even her exact age.
Obviously you can’t tell from pictures alone, but I’d absolutely love to know what your ideas are from what you can see. These pictures are from today, about 13 months after I got her- I’ve measured her to be around about 13.1hh as of today.

She still looks so babyish, and not like any of the two year olds I’ve worked with in the past- she’s an odd little thing, but just the sweetest baby I’ve ever met.

View attachment 1013035 View attachment 1013035

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
For height you can try the string test after 18 months.

Measure with a length of string, from point of elbow to point of fetlock, then reverse the string from point of elbow to above then withers, the difference is how much she has to grow.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
I would say some where between 1 and1/2 to 2 years. There are two year olds, even those closer to three that look very immature. More so with fillys than colts though I have had a couple of colts that didn't really look more mature until 4 and didn't fill out and not look skinny babyish until 5 or 6. These were Quarter Horses not our drafts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts