The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
35,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that the Moderators and Admin Team have been discussing and a member also suggested it on another thread so it seems to make sense that we ask members for things that they maybe struggled with or couldn't understand when they first joined - or maybe still do
These are some of the ideas we've already come up with but if anyone wants to add to the list please do so
It would also be really helpful if any of you more techie minded people know the answers to any of the 'how to use the forum' FAQ's that get added to the list you could write them down here too.

Edit time and how to edit a post
How does the infraction system work
How to attach photos
How to put a video in your post (include best sites to link too)
Age restrictions
How many post before PMs allowed.
Ditto for chat
How to change/add avatar
Why limitations on links to social media
Multi-quoting
What does an infraction mean
Can't log in so had to start a second account
Can I delete a thread/post?
Can I delete my account?
How to report something
Best way to discuss things with the Moderating team

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am still struggling with adding images to things. Can you upload directly from your computer? When I try to add an image, it asks me for a site or something so I'm uploading into my own site albums to post.

Also, I found the "avatar" vs "profile pic" confusing, I had to message tinyliny about it. :) But, I am easily confused so that might just be my own issue. :)

Reactions: jaydee

·
Registered
48,997 Posts
I ONLY know how to upload from my computer.

How to upload photos from your computer :

you need to post using either the 'post reply' button at the bottom left of every page, OR, use 'quick reply', but then hit "Go advanced"

this will bring up a new window with more options at the toolbar. one of these is a dark icon, that is supposed to look like a paper clip, it is just to the right of the smilie face. click on that. it brings up the "Manage Attachments" link. you click on "browse", and it takes you to your computer , where you can choose, 'pictures, document, etc" (the location of the photo you want to upload.)

open the photo, then go back to the 'manage attachments' page and hit 'upload'. you have uploaded one photo!

when you go back to your post, you click on where you want the photo inserted, then click on 'manage attachements' and click on the photo you've uploaded and it will insert there.

now, if you want to take on explaining one, please go ahead! help out the forum!

·
Administrator
35,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When anyone posts a 'how to do' it would be useful if someone else could then follow those instructions step by step to see if anything is missed out of the process

·
Super Moderator
26,712 Posts
Probably add something about name changes

·
Registered
254 Posts
On the FAQs list would be nice to have something that tells under the avatar what Horses and Carrots are about. I see there is a sticky telling about carrots, but just a short explanation on the new FAQs page might be easier, IMO, then if person wants more information they could be directed to read the sticky.

Also, could tell what "subbing" means. Took me a long time before realized that it means you got "subscribed" to that thread.

Just FYI, I do appreciate lots that it e-mails me those threads so I can quickly go see what might have been added since I was last looking at one.

Reactions: jaydee

·
Administrator
35,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reviving this thread as the Tech Team have set up an FAQ thread that will go into this part of the forum once its reasonably complete
It'll be a closed thread that the Mods and Admin team can add too if a new query comes up that belongs in it
It would be good if all members could post suggestions for 'how to do's' etc that they feel would help them or would have helped them find the forum easier to use.
If anyone has step by step instructions to do things they can also be posted here and then copied and pasted into the new thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts