The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is graduating high school this year, bought her prom dress, and we are having a photographer come take some photos with the horses. Of course I have researched it a bit, have some ideas of poses, etc., but if anyone has thoughts on what works and what doesn't, I'd love to hear it!

She won't be doing many mounted photos, it will be more on the ground. She'll sit on Harley, but that's about it. Due to the fact that she's wearing a prom dress, riding him is not in the plans. We'll put a bareback pad on him so she can sit on him without getting her dress too dirty (of course he will be bathed and brushed beforehand as well).

Feel free to share your own pics (but only if you have permission), or even send them to me via private message if you don't want to put them here for the world to see. If you have found some online that are free from copyright, then a link would be great.

Harley has been a very special horse for her so we are hoping to capture that. He was her first horse, took her through her rider levels, helped her become a certified coach, took her to her first shows and won a ton of ribbons, some division championships and even a provincial year-end championship in 2019. He's now retired from showing at 23, but still has a special place in all our hearts.

·
Super Moderator
27,662 Posts
My kid is a dirty rotten boy. I didn't pay for a photographer - I just did them myself. They aren't as cute as they would have been with a girl though...
Plant Horse Dog Tree Carnivore
Horse Plant Ecoregion Tree Working animal
Horse Shirt Sky Working animal Horse supplies

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Just type "Graduation Photos with Horses" in your search bar and you'll get all kinds of different pics.

Completely off topic, are you folks going to be ok with Fiona coming up the coast? Our weather folks are saying you're going to get hit hard.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Here are the ones I liked. She also took a lot of really good photos without horses, and some of those are in a dress. ;) She had several outfit changes, but the horse pics she did in western clothes. The one is just funny when Oakley threw back.
Sky Plant Hat Working animal Horse tack
Horse Plant Dog Tree Horse tack
Horse Plant Vertebrate Working animal Hat
Elephant Trousers Plant Working animal Tree
Horse Plant Working animal Sky Tree
Horse Plant People in nature Working animal Liver

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Here are two of my graduation pictures with my horse:
Face Horse Shoe Dress Plant

Hair Face Smile Horse Vertebrate

I really like this photographers work near me: Enchanted Photography specifically the photo of the girl sitting in front of her horse in row 2.

This photographer as well has really caught my eye: Renae Mona Photography specifically the photo of the girl in the dress with her horses head lowered in front of her when you "load more".

I'd look up senior horse photo shoots - some photographers really capture the appreciation a rider has for their now aged senior horse.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just type "Graduation Photos with Horses" in your search bar and you'll get all kinds of different pics.

Completely off topic, are you folks going to be ok with Fiona coming up the coast? Our weather folks are saying you're going to get hit hard.
Yeah, have been googling like crazy, lol, but I figured this group might have more specific ideas. We have already done photos shoots with the horses, mostly with the same photographer, so I'm kind of looking for something a bit different this time. The more ideas the better.

We're not too worried about Fiona where I live. The storm will pass over the tip of NS and will hit hard in parts of southern NB, especially near the water since storm surges will likely be a problem. We are well inland, kind of in the heart of the province so far away from the worst of it. They're only forecasting some rain, and wind gusts up to 70 km/hr overnight, so nothing too crazy. We've been getting nonstop heavy rain though, which means the tree roots are not held in the ground very firmly right now, and lots of leaves still on trees so that will cause some uprooted trees for sure, possibly even on our own property. Luckily, they'll be far from the house and barn. I'll close off the back pasture to be safe and put away anything sitting outside, as well as filling a few water jugs, but otherwise, we don't expect much of an impact here. Thanks for checking!

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
We're not too worried about Fiona where I live. The storm will pass over the tip of NS and will hit hard in parts of southern NB, especially near the water since storm surges will likely be a problem. We are well inland, kind of in the heart of the province so far away from the worst of it. They're only forecasting some rain, and wind gusts up to 70 km/hr overnight, so nothing too crazy. We've been getting nonstop heavy rain though, which means the tree roots are not held in the ground very firmly right now, and lots of leaves still on trees so that will cause some uprooted trees for sure, possibly even on our own property. Luckily, they'll be far from the house and barn. I'll close off the back pasture to be safe and put away anything sitting outside, as well as filling a few water jugs, but otherwise, we don't expect much of an impact here. Thanks for checking!
Good to know! I wasn't sure how close to the coast you were, so was concerned when the weather guessers down here were saying things like "Fiona's going to slap them in the face!". Of course, I also refer to them as a bunch of Henny Pennies too, so there you go. Be safe and if I come up with any good photo ideas I'll let you know. I'm remarkably useless on that front though.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had a bridal shoot with Nav, which will at least be an example of poses with a dress. :) I will add, make sure you have someone there who's sole purpose is to be the "horse perk-er upper" lol While I do cherish these photos, some of them would have benefited from Nav looking a little more alert.
Horse Plant Tree Working animal Dress

Horse Plant Dress Working animal Wedding dress

Horse Plant Dress Tree Natural environment

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a bridal shoot with Nav, which will at least be an example of poses with a dress. :) I will add, make sure you have someone there who's sole purpose is to be the "horse perk-er upper" lol While I do cherish these photos, some of them would have benefited from Nav looking a little more alert.
View attachment 1135773
View attachment 1135774
View attachment 1135775
These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I'm going to be the handler and "ear picker upper" but it may be a little complicated because she wants pictures with both Bella and Harley. I think I will put them in stalls and just take out one at a time.

Location is also a bit tricky. We have some beautiful spots on our property, but it is muddy (pics are getting done tomorrow night!) so DD doesn't want to go traipsing all over the property with her long formal dress. I'm hoping we can stick to doing them inside the pastures so the horses are calm too. But we'll see... we also don't have nice fences for photos, just electrobraid, so not really photo worthy. We may have to crop them out.

We have spectacular sunsets here, so hoping we can take advantage of that evening light.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Photos are done! I think there will be some really nice ones, but we'll see... I had my husband make some duck calls off to one side to make the horses perk up their ears, lol. It only sort of worked.

I probably won't post them publicly out of respect for the photographer and my daughter, but can share them privately with the lovely people here who were kind enough to share theirs! I won't have them for a week or two though, since the photographer will want to go through them all and edit them.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don’t mind my asking, did you get any of her with both the horses at the same time, and was it too much more difficult then doing them separately?
We didn't get one with both horses, no. The big issue we had is that the dress is too long for her to really walk around in it without lifting it with her hands. This left limited options for holding lead ropes. So we just did them separately.

The photographer also did some of just her in front of an old shed - something I never would have thought of doing. Disappointed there are no horses in those, but WOW, they turned out gorgeous!

The light wasn't great so she had to use a lot of flashes, which was complicated. But she has a flash she had me hold behind my daughter that has like an orangy/golden colour so it looks like the light from a sunset. From what she showed me on the camera, it looks pretty cool. But we'll see... she did say if we aren't happy, she'll come back and do more. One of these days I'd also like some of me doing mounted archery on Rusty.

Will be sure to share privately with those who asked :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'd love to see them as well! It takes a really good photographer to be able to capture both the best angle of a horse and human in one picture and those that do it well I'm so impressed by!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts