The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new horse was donated to the barn 3 days ago and I'm curious about an injury of his. He's a very well put together qh that was to be used at high level dressage, but because of a "suspensory ligament issue" he was not able to perform without worry of staying sound. He has eggshell shoes on the back which are supposed to help, and that's all I really know about the injury. Our vet said he would be fine for what we do, but I am curious as to where I need to draw the line when riding him as far as intensity goes. He's solid and was on a good workout routine at his old barn so I want to keep him that way, without pushing that ligament, because as I understand it, if anything is going to go wrong with it, it is going to snap and he will have to be put down.

I am going to ride him tomorrow, but just a slow walk/trot as he is still trying to settle in. I will be talking to his old vet before I ride him with any sort of program. I will post pictures later tonight of him.

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
That's exactly what I would do--talk to the old vet. Find out exactly the location and severity of the injury. A ligament won't just "snap," but he is prone to reinjury, and that could be devastating if bad enough. And eggbar, not eggshell, shoes. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts