Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help?
My mare, Molly is a homozygous bl/wh tennesee walking horse.. (Bleached by the sun)
Gelding, Spot, paint
And the stallion, Perfect N Hot.. has white between back legs but not on genetalia.. He's QH son of Hot N Blazing
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Black tobiano, bay tobiano (or brown, would need a better photo) and chestnut. In order from top photo to bottom photo. Though unless your mare is tested I'd tend to say brown for her because of the light flank... classic marker for brown!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her hair is really short, and you can see skin through it.. We're working on that. I have not had her long.. but she's a super easy keeper. that is all grass. (=
Thank you so very much (=

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I still think she looks brown to me, that lighter colour around the flanks is telling. Or MAYBE smokey black... maybe.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I see brown too, but the photo isn't great.

Just a note - a horse can be homozygous for black and still be bay or brown :)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Listen to Chiilaa... she is amazing.

And re the homozygous black thing - SO TRUE. I wouldn't be surprised if one of my two was homozygous for black and neither of them are actually black. One is bay, the other buckskin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if your mare is homozygous was she tested? and if so is she homozygous black or homozygous tobiano? she tobiano and looks like a bleached black and white if she were a bay there woud be brown or fading around the eyes and muzzle.

second photo bay and white tobiano
third a sorrel or chestnut

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
No one is doubting that she is black. Just that she cannot possibly be homozygous and have a chestnut foal. Black and chestnut are controlled on the same locus, the E locus, and black is dominant (E), while chestnut is recessive (e). To be homozygous for black, your horse has two black genes on the locus, so she would be EE. So she can only ever pass on an E gene, which is black, and dominant. Even if the foal got a red gene from it's sire, it would still be Ee, which would display as black. So since her foal is chestnut, it proves that she is not homozygous. There is no need to even test - a chestnut has two ee genes - one from each parent. Therefore, your mare is clearly Ee - heterozygous black carrying chestnut.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Oooooh now that makes a bit more sense lol. I was assuming she was the dam and the stallion was the sire and the gelding their produce lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.