The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my filly was looking pretty scraggly shes wormed fed couldn't figure it out. Then I see her itching on the fence. I think ok lice. I check no lice, but then i feel all these little bumps. I look and shes full of TICKs. Big ones and itty bitty ones. (yes I have been itching for nonstop) I hate all those nasty little critters. Whats the best way to get rid of these pests? I treated her with equispot and its not working.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been picking every day. She has a ton of the itty bitty ones that are hard to find. Poor thing is miserable.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Get dog flea and tick shampoo, or they have a tick repellant you can put on horses that works pretty good, can't remember the name. Google it...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Use Frontline. If ticks are that bad where you are, I'd think about swabbing the ears out as well and worm with an Ivermectin wormer.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I use a thing called Swift.
Swift Fly and Insect Repellent 250 ml - Valley Country

In my experience the first dosage doesn't do much. So pick all the ticks off, wash her, dry her, then put it on. It says to do it every 6 weeks, but I do it every 3 because ticks are everywhere here. I don't know if you have it in the US, but I would highly recommend getting Swift. Its great and it really works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We started keeping chickens a few years back and it cut down our tick population to almost none. They just roam around all day picking up bugs and scratching apart manure piles to look for grain. The eggs are an added bonus.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Eldorado I love your solution. It sounds like a great idea and I can just see all these chickens running around and scratching and mixing up all the horse poo.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow, you've got ticks this time of year??? I usually pick 10 or 15 of my horses bellies in the spring but once those are gone they don't get anymore on them. Are your horses pastured with a bunch of sagebrush? I've been told that's where they pick up alot of them at. Good luck, I'll be interested in what you end up finding that works!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
That's odd, we have a ton of sagebrush around here but don't have many ticks. I think I have found about 1 a year on a horse and maybe 10 or 15 a year on dogs, and never when it is this cold. O,O

We use a diazanon (sp?) spray on our dogs but I don't know if that would be safe for horses or not. It kills the crap out of fleas though.

Although I did see our first fly of the year just the other day. :?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She does live in Wyoming!
Yes Wyoming is ALL sage brush lol.

And there is not really anyway I can get rid of it. My property gets pretty steep to use a brush hog.
Unless I want a horsie Popsicle I cant bath her.
I am rather liking this idea of frontline. They use it for dogs and cats it should be alright. right? lol just get a some 100lb type?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes Wyoming is ALL sage brush lol.

And there is not really anyway I can get rid of it. My property gets pretty steep to use a brush hog.
Unless I want a horsie Popsicle I cant bath her.
I am rather liking this idea of frontline. They use it for dogs and cats it should be alright. right? lol just get a some 100lb type?
Yes...or you could use the spray.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have heard that if you spray the ticks with an oil like WD-40 or cooking spray that it will suffocate the ticks because they breathe out of thier back ends and the oil prevents that. I don't know how true it is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
She does live in Wyoming!
Lol, yes I know all about Wyoming, I've lived there before :D You can occasionally find a pasture without quite so much of it though, lol! I can't believe you've got them this time of year, especially with all the cold weather we've been having. Crazy! Hope that's not any indication of what the spring will bring!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.