The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Retired breeder
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could have any breed, what would you choose? and Why?
It CANNOT be the breed you have, or have ever had.
So for me, it could not be Quarter Horses, Appaloosas, or TB.
I would have to choose something different.

It would probably be Paint.
Why would be still a stock horse breed.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
For me it would be a gypsy. Why? I am enamored with all the hair. Plus I’ve seen some videos of them doing a good job at a variety of things. My father is riding a 1/4 gypsy, and he’s very cool. He doesn’t seem to show much of the breed, but his mane and tail are long and he has that kind of dropped off butt. He’s a good enough athlete though and I like his way of thinking.

·
Super Moderator
15,455 Posts
For me.... a Lipizzaner.
They are majestic animals and rich with a history.
I love that they are born dark, black many of them, as they age they lighten to eventually being pure white.
I rode as a child on a lesson horse of this breed...
Ever since then, I've been enamored of them and the scope the breed has and what they can do with finesse or with brute strength and athleticism.

If I couldn't have that....a old-style Morgan.
I think its referred to as the Lippitt line " ??"
Again a breed rich with history and a scope huge in different abilities...possibilities are endless of what we could share doing together in fun.
🐴...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well I'll chime in. I don't feel that for me it is breed, because that's just paperwork. Character and personality is more important, after that, useability.

I like looking at photos of exotic breeds, but to actually have, no, no breed preference. There are a lot of Friesians where I live. But I would not want one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you could have any breed, what would you choose? and Why?
It CANNOT be the breed you have, or have ever had.
When I was first looking, I wanted a big draft horse, like a Perch, Belgian or Shire. Their size makes boarding them a serious challenge (which is why I ended up not pulling the trigger), but given I was looking for a "husband horse", rider size/weight would not have been a problem.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have so many. I've always wanted a Morgan. I believe the most beautiful horse I ever saw was a Morgan. He had just been gelded a few days before, so he still had that "look at me" stallion testosterone in him. Someone had just bought him for their little girl, and had him gelded. Lucky little girl!

I think Peruvians are amazing and I would love to have one. I've never ridden an Icelandic, but wouldn't that be thrilling! I'd like to have a Foxtrotter, a Rocky Mountain, or a Kentucky Mountain. Andalusians are so so so cool. And of course, an Arabian!!!!

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Mine would be a (preferably dapple grey) OTTB. I grew up loving racing and have a...complicated...relationship with being a fan in the present day, and that's made me feel that being part of the TB rehoming community would be a good thing to do. That said, I don't think that as a somewhat nervous nelly in the saddle, I'd be a great match for an OTTB, even one restarted well. But there's a strong part of me that feels it would be doing penance for all those years of supporting racing.

PS- I love seeing Morgans pop up in people's dream list. @horselovinguy , you're right that the "old style" Morgans are often from the Lippitt lines.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I couldn’t say Arabs, Morgan’s, or Saddlebreds, as I’ve had one Arab and Arab crosses of the other two.

I’ve had Tennessee Walkers since 1990. Someone on this forum once posted about their beautiful Canadian Pacer and I thought back then, that would be a breed I would put in my pasture:)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I guess I can't say pony, since that's what I have now. But gosh, ponies are awesome. I never would have guessed that I would end up a pony person.

When I was a kid, I always wanted an Arabian. After learning more about horses, I thought, that's not a beginner horse. But where I am now, I think I could handle one. I always read that they were very intelligent and loyal, but that you had to win their loyalty. I find that appealing. Plus they are gorgeous. I mean, not the modern overly-squished ones, but the traditional ones.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've always wanted to return to Highlands. I help out with a few at the moment but I'm very aware that they aren't mine.

They were part of my childhood, othere breeds came and went but there was always a Highland somewhere in the mix. I rode at a stud which had purebreds and Highland/TB crosses and I've many great memories of flying across the hills and moorland on the back of a dapple grey and cream dun, often racing against my friends; going cross-country, showjumping and riding bareback, feeling like i was sitting in an armchair. Happy days!

My own horses were welsh, welsh/TB and a sports horse. I've ridden TBs, warmbloods, the range of other mountain and moorlands and unknown mixes but I keep returning to the Highland.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For me.... a Lipizzaner.
They are majestic animals and rich with a history.
I love that they are born dark, black many of them, as they age they lighten to eventually being pure white.
I rode as a child on a lesson horse of this breed...
Ever since then, I've been enamored of them and the scope the breed has and what they can do with finesse or with brute strength and athleticism.

If I couldn't have that....a old-style Morgan.
I think its referred to as the Lippitt line " ??"
Again a breed rich with history and a scope huge in different abilities...possibilities are endless of what we could share doing together in fun.
🐴...
HLG, you’d have loved Angelina! Randy, who previously owned her, was a freak about the old-style Morgans and had all his Morgans DNA tested to make sure they had no Standardbred or Saddlebred in them.
And she WAS fun! Would have loved it if she’d been trained to drive, but she was a wonderful riding horse 🙂

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’ve had Shetlands, Welsh, MFT, TB,
QH, Palomino, Arabian, and Paints/Pintos of all colors/configurations!

I guess the one thing I haven’t had is an Appaloosa. While I think all horses are pretty much beautiful, I don’t think I’d like to own the larger breeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Friesian. I want to be a pretty princess. There, I said it.

When I was buying my mare I looked into Friesians but I gathered that they aren’t the healthiest of breeds so I gave that up.

I could choose any breed out there because I’ve only ever had one horse and she’s a mongrel of the highest order.

And what do you know, I bring my mare to the first yard I kept her at and there is a stunning Friesian stallion right across the aisle. I did clamber that stallion once and he was majestic but he was way too much horse for me, unfortunately. The owner would have been very happy for me to ride him anytime I wanted and the guy offered him at a relatively cheep price but I just wasn’t up to par.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I like big, chunky horses. So give me Irish Draught, Gypsy, Fjord, Dales or Fells. I wouldn't mind a Gelderlander or a Murghese but they are hard to find (in the US). Anything that can flip flop from dressage horse to trail horse to driving is cool by me.

Fun thread!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have a an Arab/Appy and a Paint. If I had to choose another breed...

I've never owned an honest to God quarter horse. Someday I just want a good ol' horse to rope cows and ride fences with. I do really want a Percheron at some point because of the power. It's like riding a freight train. A Perch/TB cross would be a lovely animal to have, but terrible on trails because you'd constantly be knocking your head into the branches!

Realistically, a sturdy, quick, smart mare is what I'm after. I have one, I could do with another. 15-16 hands, color doesn't really matter but I'd rather not white. Sturdy built but fast. I'd prefer a Quarter/Arab cross but that doesn't add to my chances of getting a brick house horse with any height to it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
A TB or TB cross. I've known quite a few and used to take lessons on one and think they're great. And it'd be more realistic to find one where I'm at than an Icelandic or something more exotic lol

I'd love to have a tall horse for once too. All two of mine have been shorties and almost all the horses at my barn are shorties too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts