The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of music do your horses like? My mare seems to like different genres depending on her mood (imagine that for a mare? Ha!). I tend to listen to a menagerie of music and she does too. We like celtic folk music or classical for relaxation, country for work or practice and she's even been known to jam to some metal (she a bad b*tch). I even have a small Bluetooth speaker I hang off my saddle on trail rides so we can listen to tunes while we adventure.

My gelding however, being the young boy he is, hasn't decided yet. He seems to enjoy Chris stapleton and dark country but otherwise hasn't shown too much notice of other genres yet.

what about your ponies?:gallop:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't know, never have music on at the barn or riding. I prefer the peaceful sounds of nature--rustling wind, chattering birds, the horses nickering and snuffling.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Don't have music playing in barn. I like listening to music when driving but not any other time it gets on my nerves. So don't have a radio in barn ,instead have a big industrial fan that is on when horses are in barn. When out riding I like peace and quite and the sounds of nature birds ,loons and whatever else is in the woods.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I had never played music at the barn, but my daughter read something about it and wanted to experiment.

She reports that Moonshine likes Simon and Garfunkel.

My Pony likes hip hop and dance music. Or at least he stands there staring at the phone (WITHOUT trying to eat it, which is a big deal for him) and flares his nostrils a lot. I *think* I might have seen him nodding his head a little.

Teddy hates music. We played "Moonlight Sonata" for him, which has to be one of the most calming and beautiful pieces of music ever, and his eyes got big and he walked away quickly. He has so much anxiety, I thought he would have liked the calming music. I guess it's just another thing that seems "weird" and "wrong" to him ("where are those sounds coming from?", so he doesn't like it.

Reactions: RegalCharm

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I like to play music when I'm tacking/grooming and sometimes riding. But I never noticed my horse having a preference. When I get to the woods, I usually turn it off (MP3 player) because I want to observe the wildlife but a few times I have ridden with music anyway and still saw deer and elk. I will sometimes ride to music on purpose during hunting season to hopefully alert any hunters that we are not elk. But sometimes I will just use bear bells. Either way, the horse doesn't seem to care and I still see lots of wildlife even with bells or music.

I guess my horse likes 80's rock/pop, because she doesn't have a say in the matter. :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never actually played music to roley (might give it a try) I think he'd like rock music as he's got such a long mane and tail he could mosh to it! Haha I can just imagine it!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Love listening to music while I ride. But usually when I ride I am training, not riding for pleasure per say, so I like something to ride to. Kind of like how people like listening to music when they work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts