The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uggghh, im so mad. -.- what kind of horse trainer just gives up on a horse after only 2 weeks?....without even trying to ride it?! we basically just paid someone 300 bucks to babysit my horse. N he didnt do a very good job at that, either, considering he got a hurt hoof. Sorry for bad grammer. Rant over. -.-
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Why did they send the horse back? If it was due to injury that's a very responsible thing to do... did you get the rest of your money back? Sounds like it... $300 is less than half of what ANY trainer I know charges for 30 days. What did you send the horse in for?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I feel like were missing a few more details. Is your horse that bad? And if it was that bad in the first place then he shouldn't be jumping on with a saddle because its been "two weeks" but more ground work should be done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I had to rant before I picked up my little cousin to take him to the lake so I wouldn't be in a bad mood around him. Anyway, I paid this man $600 to break my gelding. He complained because he was supposedly "wild". He only whinnied around some mares once, and the trainer said that he was proud cut. Then he said that he jigged sideways when he tried to put the saddle on him for the second time.
Then, he kicked out when he tightened the back cinch...He also only did that once. The man made me pick up my horse after only 2 weeks there, and he said that my horse was "very dangerous" and he would not recommend that I mess with him anymore, because he believes that he's proud cut...JUST because he whinnied at some mares the first time that he saw them.
I've had this horse for 4 years and I know for a fact that he's NOT proud cut. I watched him be gelded, because I was right there with the vet when she did it, and she proved to us that she got the glands out. He was around a lot of mares before, and he never showed any signs of being proud cut. He has ground manners. He's never nipped anyone or kicked out. When I mess with him, it's just like leading around a puppy dog that does anything you ask of him.
Then, what ****ed me off is this sentence..."I didn't get on him because he was too skittish. I'm not a bronc rider, and I don't mess with skittish horse"....Ok, so uhm...why are you a trainer? I'm sorry that my horse was skittish, but why are you offering your colt starting services if you're not going to break anyone's horse for them?
He also said that he trained horses for George Strait, but I don't think I'll believe that until I have proof, because he doesn't seem very professional at all.
He claimed that when I picked up my horse in 4 weeks, he would be a different horse, because he was going to teach him some manners. Yeah, I don't think so. -.-

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Is this the same horse / trainer you posted about before, where he got on him on the first day?

Sounds like he ran out of time, or didn't do anything with your horse and needed an excuse to make some 'quick money' so called him crazy and sent him home. It's a shame, but these things happen- exactly why you check every single reference a trainer gives you and then snoop out a few more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe that he conned us out of $300, because he barely did any work with him at all . If you're scared or intimidated by horses, then you shouldn't be offering your services as a "trainer". Simple as that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this the same horse / trainer you posted about before, where he got on him on the first day?

Sounds like he ran out of time, or didn't do anything with your horse and needed an excuse to make some 'quick money' so called him crazy and sent him home. It's a shame, but these things happen- exactly why you check every single reference a trainer gives you and then snoop out a few more.
Yes, it is the same trainer and same horse. I posted at the same time you did, but like I said..I believe he saw a 17 year old girl and decided to con her out of $300. I checked out a lot of references, and he seemed pretty legit. It was a huge disappointment, and very unfair. But that's the horse business. Argh, it makes me so mad!

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Did he send him back because he hurt his hoof or because he said the horse was wild & proud cut?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did he send him back because he hurt his hoof or because he said the horse was wild & proud cut?
Posted via Mobile Device
Because he said the horse was wild and proud cut. In fact, I didn't find out about the hurt hoof until later.

·
Registered
14,319 Posts
Sounds like a con artist.

I have a trainer that had me thinking I was crazy. I took him a horse, didn't sugar coat a thing, told him all the crazy stuff she did and how I was totally at the end of my rope. Basically told him she was Linda Blair in the Exorcist. So......first 30 days, he asks if I sent him the wrong horse, she's so sweet but nervous. Just works herself into a nervous sweat every time he rode her or worked with her, but manageable. LOL! I was impressed and it convinced me that I was to blame, so I paid for the 2nd 30 days......and the switch flipped. He called me after 4 more days and said, "OK, you weren't crazy, lying or mistaken. This mare is nuts and I'm wasting your money, please come get her." She ended up kicking at her stall neighbor before I got there and fractured her leg, so ended up being put down.

I have since sent him 3 more horses and they have all turned out wonderful! Very sane, calm and super easy to ride. Unfortunately, he's in OK not TX or AR, or I'd suggest you send your horse to him.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like a trainer of already trained horses to me. If he's offering to start horses I would assume he would be ready, able and willing to deal with the bucks and shananigans that can come with that. Mine just finished 60 days with a local trainer so I could watch. Mocha was cheeky and put him through some paces but this guy rode it out of him and could deal with anything that Mocha threw at him. I'd be asking for my money back period.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Saying the horse is proud cut is very unknowledgeable, and saying it's wild is the reason you brought the horse to him in the first place. Lousy schmutzy trainer who stole $300 from you. Sorry this happened to you & your horse, don't give up however, there is many good trainers out there that if anything, undercharge to stay in business because most people can't pay them what they are worth. Join local equestrian & riding clubs and attend their meetings, you will tons of good leads there. They also hold clinics by good trainers so you audit the clinic & if you like what see, you can send your horse to that trainer. If might be a bit more expensive but at least you got quality training, not a hurt hoof, no training & a loss of $300!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Next time you come across a trainer who claims he trained horses for George Strait, tell him to give you George's number so you can call him as a reference.
Thank goodness the worm didn't have the horse any longer. You are $300 poorer but you saved your horse!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm so upset, I can't even think straight. I've been seriously discouraged and disappointed...I just don't know what to feel right now. It's a mix between heart ache and anger. My grandmother called this man and asked for more information about how my horse was acting. When he told her the same story, she told him "Well, this is just breaking my grand daughter's heart". To that, he replied "You can get over a broken heart, but you will never get over a broken neck. I would suggest that your grand daughter stay as far away from that horse as possible".
WRONG. You can get over a broken neck. However, if something were to happen to Lakota, my broken heart would be permanent.
But like I said, Lakota has never been disrespectful to anyone on our farm, so I doubt that I will suffer a broken neck. And if I do get hurt, that's just a risk you take when you own any horse. There's no such thing as guaranteed safety with horses. -.-

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I think to prevent getting stung, we need to set it up with a trainer that we will pay in advance for one week only, and then the second week, and so on. If the trainer has a problem with that then look for someone else. We can't just send the horse off, we need to be there, not every day but often. A friend spent a year and a half researching trainer, checking references, etc before she settled on someone and she has absolutely no regrets. Even took lessons with the trainer. Smart move.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Those cuts are very fresh and hasn't even swollen yet, the horse might've done that in the trailer, or just before you picked him up.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It really sounds to me like the guy maybe hasn't trained many, if any, horses from scratch. I have trained quite a few, both youngsters and some up to 5 or 6 years old, never touched by a person; probably not more than a hundred, but somewhere between 70 or 80 to a hundred horses, most of them I have started, gotten going OK and handed them off to the owner, a few, usually my own horses, I have had the chance to really get going over years of riding. And in all that time it would have never occurred to me that, as the person training the horse, if the horse was “wild”, moved while being saddled” or “kicked at a flank girth” it would have been anyone’s fault but mine. Really, thats the whole damned point of training a horse, so that they don’t do that stuff. It kind of seems to me that if the guy complained about that stuff while allegedly trying to break in a horse, HE has some problems, not your horse.
As for the cut, he may not be responsible for that, horses more than any other animal, it seems, can always find a way to hurt themselves somehow.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.