The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am so glad to be back here. For a while I couldn't bring myself to even look at Horse Forum because I was so disappointed in myself. Anyway, back in late November, I was cantering (I had cantered 4-5 times in previous lessons) and I came off. The horse has a BIG canter and I just lost my balance. I landed directly on my left hand and broke my ulna and shattered my radius at my wrist. I ended up having surgery with a plate and 8 pins. :(

My recovery has gone remarkably well and I was back in the saddle yesterday for the first time in 2 months. My coach was awesome and we took the lesson ALL the way back to basics. I was previously riding in group lessons but I'm now switched to private, which I think was a good call. I wasn't scared per se, but I'm definitely disappointed in myself and have lost quite a bit of confidence. In the only 6 months I've been riding and working with horses, I've been bit twice, kicked, and now this. Part of me wonders if the universe is trying to tell me that horses aren't my thing...

So, you amazing horsepeople, I wonder if you might be able to share any wisdom about gaining confidence after a fall/incident and if you've ever felt like horses weren't for you.

As always, thank you for your time and thoughts. I so appreciate your wisdom.

Registered
I haven't seen your lesson teacher in action but i wonder if she is capable of determining what you are ready for? I know stuff happens with horses. But maybe she could have made sure you were more ready for what you are doing, if it was purely a balance issue?

Also i have been around horses my whole life abd i have never been bitten except for maybe a nip from a foal. And i have been kicked once by a foal, i will say the kick was because someone who was trying to teach me something didn't do a good job. 馃槄 As an adult, i see what could have been done differently.

As far as getting back into i would just take the riding part really slow. Maybe ask if you could just hang around the barn a little extra and socialize with the horses. Also perhaps watch some lessons from other riders too.

Registered
Just remember... you鈥檝e been bit, kicked, broke a bone from horses and yet you keep coming back to it. 1) if you still do it despite all of that it probably brings you great joy and so long as you find that joy, horses are for you. 2) Getting back on the saddle and continuing to try is something you should be proud of and prove you can have the confidence to flourish in your riding eventually.

Confidence takes time. Someone once told me it鈥檚 like a piggy bank where just a little bit is built up at a time, and sometimes some is taken out. One day though, the bank does get full.

Registered
It takes a long long time to get your confidence back. Fear can be insidious. Don't be surprised if one day out of the blue for no reason, you feel fear all over again when you thought it was gone. It happens that way. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, taking all the time you need. Don't let anyone push you or rush you.

I also wonder about the lesson barn where you are taking lessons if you have been bit twice and kicked in 6 months. Maybe you should consider finding a riding stable where the horses don't bite and kick people. Most horses don't.

Registered
I also wonder about the lesson barn where you are taking lessons if you have been bit twice and kicked in 6 months. Maybe you should consider finding a riding stable where the horses don't bite and kick people. Most horses don't.
Me too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify: I've been to 3 different barns since I started riding 6 months ago. The first one is where I got bit, the 2nd one is where I got kicked, and my current barn is where I fell off. My current barn is where I feel I've actually received the best instruction and with the most reliable and safe horses.

First off, DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOURSELF! Loving horses always comes with risk. There aren't many people out there who ride a lot, and have never fallen off. I've fallen off horses many times. You have to fall to learn. Your horse doesnt hate you, you just lost your balance, so dont feel bad. Your instructors are doing the right thing! Don't rush it, they only take you back to the basics to help regain confidence, not because falling means you are such a bad rider you need to be a beginner again. Just let yourself be nervous for a bit, and the confidence will come with time. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts